The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Try Post Again- Re: Tech Help 160 Meter Converter Fixed  (Read 2050 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: November 16, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

For some reasons as soon as I attach  the schematic my post vaporizes and the initial thread about this topic is coming up with a blank page...

Anyway thanks to all who offered advice.

In the morning I tried some of the suggestions and still could not tame the "?)&(+(%^)&+_)+*(" beast

However, searching the QST archives last night I found another circuit that represented a lot of the suggestions that were made. It had a tuned xtal circuit, 6BZ6 RF amp 6U8 osc. / conv. and several of the other other suggestions. It is from Nov 65 and was a converter designed for 160-80-40 to go with the .2-.5 mhz Command set.

So after lunch I recalculated the L/C osc circuit to use my 5 mHz xtal and pulled the parts out of the junk box. I built up the osc and conv first and decided to give it a go like that. I was quite pleased with the results. There is some bleed through from 75 but it is not that objectionable. But I am not fussy I don't need any more sensitivity as I just want it for casual AM use with the Drake 2B, and can live with it as is.

Now that I have the basic circuit working I'll have to check my xtal stash and may move it up to 15 meters, or try some more selective filtering ahead of the input. But I can live with it the way it is.

I have been listening to 160 AM all evening and for the last several hours to a QSO on 1880 with a group from 8 land and they are all 5/9

I reworked the schematic from QST to reflect my changes and you can see it at
http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/160%20Conv%20final.jpg

Thank you all very much for your help. This is a great group.

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »

Glad you got one working, Carl.  Dunno what happened to that other thread - went into the ether.  I clicked on it this morning and just got a white page.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »

Glad you got one working, Carl.  Dunno what happened to that other thread - went into the ether.  I clicked on it this morning and just got a white page.

I think maybe the spurs from the first converter wiped it out.
Thanks again for your help
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015