The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:58:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Johnston Bashes Volunteer Examination System  (Read 28870 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: September 17, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »

As much disdain as I have for Johnny Johnston, W3BE, because of the deceptive and misleading tactics he engaged in during his tenure with the FCC involving several rulemaking proceedings, particularly regarding the AM power limit, I'll give him credit for making some very insightful points in October WorldRadio (see p. 18), in his monthly "Rules & Regs" column.

This month's column is unusually rambling and incoherent, but he managed to bring up some clear observations regarding the volunteer examination system.

He mentions that the Element 2 Question Pool contains 98 "defective, freebee, tricky and misleading questions, 38 of which are usable with answers rewritten as shown".  He goes on to say that that the previous Technician Class question pool was terminated one year ahead of schedule, and in its place came "the greatly dumbed-down, defective-question  riddled, drive-thru-exam Element 2 pool."

"For an eye-opening report on how this disaster was accomplished, e-mail: winguin@bellsouth.net."

"The VECs' venture into policy-making committed to reinventing our hobby is one of the biggest stories in Amateur Radio History.  They are observably bent on changing Amateur Radio from "A radio communication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest" into -- as they petitioned the FCC to do in RM-10870 -- something that makes "...the amateur service accessible to as many citizens as possible."

"Although the FCC denied their request, the VECs have pursued the same objective through the Element 2 dumbing-down shocker.  Quickie cram sessions are now replacing serious learning.  Practically all of the Technician Operator Class examinations administered by our VE team are successful.  One examinee even passed after one-hour of "study."

"...the VECs are creating and issuing a series of exam question pools that have not been read, evaluated and approved by the FCC...  Chilling and true... It's been that way since 1986.  That's what (the amateur community) asked for and received.  All question pool maintenance and administration was turned over to the VECs by an FCC order in PR Docket No. 85-196...  Things have changed since then -- for the worse, obviously."

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »

Don, it's all slanted toward 'appliance operators' since that's the vast majority of hams today. It's the same in other hobbies as well. We've just returned from Pigeon Forge,TN for the Fall Grand Rod Run there and I've noted for several years now that the number of young people attending is getting lower every year. The great majority of those attending are now in their 40s-70s, it's an old folks meeting now! Starting to remind me of hamfests!

Like it or not, the 'appliance operators' are now the majority and will probably be successful in changing the rules and exams to make it even easier to get a license.
My son attended that event several years ago, when he was still in high school.  I have never had a lot of interest in hot rods; in fact, I think it is a shame when someone takes a vintage pre-WW2 car that is in restorable condition, and butchers and chops it up to make a hot rod, by replacing the power train, removing the bumbers, and replacing the wheels and tires.  To me, it's like finding a working, pristine 1936 vintage homebrew AM transmitter, gutting it, and building a SSB linear into the original cabinet and using it to work contests.  I would prefer to restore an old car back to stock, returning everything as much as possible to its original condition the day it left the factory in the 20's or 30's. 

However, I must admit that "hotrodding" has saved many an old car from the scrap yard.  Unlikely anyone would have attempted to restore it to stock in the 50's, so it otherwise would not have survived the decade in any condition.  I remember my father let a salvage yard have his 1936 Chevrolet sedan for $25 back in the 50's because the clutch failed and he didn't want to replace it.  The body and interior were in like-new condition.

But when I was a kid, many high schoolers found old jalopies and fixed them up and converted to "street rods".  They learnt a lot about cars, how they worked, and how to repair them.  They ended up with a street rod without a lot of money poured into it.

In the mid 60's, about the time ham radio was going heavily in the direction of appliance operation, I heard the same laments from hot-rod enthusiasts.  Kids were no longer fixing up old junkers from scratch; their parents were buying them brand new "high performance" vehicles right from the factory.  Fewer and fewer kids were doing more under the hood than changing oil and doing minor tune-ups and emergency repairs.  For anything serious, the car went to the shop, and daddy paid the bill.

[/quote]

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:16:13 PM »

Johnny Johnston. LOL! Another grumpy old man heard from. Roll Eyes
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:28:05 PM »

"...the VECs are creating and issuing a series of exam question pools that have not been read, evaluated and approved by the FCC...  Chilling and true... It's been that way since 1986.  That's what (the amateur community) asked for and received."

It's a shame that we didn't receive the AM grandfathering that we we asked for.  Johnny Johnston was able to influence that, too bad he went the wrong way, and too bad he didn't influence the VEC testing too.  Seems like Mr. Johnston was the amateur's enemy.  Hopefully he can do something positive now.

Man, I have a cousin with the same name!  Not the same guy though.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »

I won't recover old ground, other than to say that Uncle Sam isn't interested in ham radio anymore, and so that begs the question of "Who is?".

While I don't approve of "dumbing down" the question pools, the fact remains that we either attract new licensees or we cease to matter in short order.

My $0.02.

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »

regarding drag racing:

The Fast and the Furious"

pretty much killed it.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »

While I don't approve of "dumbing down" the question pools, the fact remains that we either attract new licensees or we cease to matter in short order.

My $0.02.

Bill W1AC

I think there's more to it than sheer numbers. One factor off the top of my head:

Our HF amateur bands are a resource that the military holds in reserve and can use on a moment's notice for worldwide communications. It's becoming increasingly clear that the internet and satellite communications are quite vulnerable to disruption.
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:00:32 AM »

I remember my father let a salvage yard have his 1936 Chevrolet sedan for $25 back in the 50's because the clutch failed and he didn't want to replace it.  The body and interior were in like-new condition.

Don how come he didn't give it to some kid back then ?
K9ACT
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »

The other side of the coin is: who wants to talk to dumbed down hams?  They contribute nothing to the hobby but QRM .

When it ceases to matter, they will be all that's left so who cares?

Our class of "real hams" will last as long as we do.

js

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:32:27 AM »

If there is any interest, I may try to scan my 4" thick file on the power proceeding and other anti-AM BS that came down from the FCC during the 70's and 80's, and put it on a website.  I don't know how much storage space it would take, but it would have to be in pdf image format, since even though I have retired, I still wouldn't have time to scan and OCR every page.  I regularly see some pretty thick pdf documents published on the net, so it should be feasible.

Looking over all the documentation, it becomes clear that the fraud, deception and spin generated by the rulemaking division of the FCC on that issue would rival anything from the executive and legislative branches to-day involving Iraq and other hot-potato political issues.

They were able to get away with it simply because AM ham radio was such an unimportant issue in the grand scheme of things, and government "watchdogs" have much bigger fish to fry, or as the French say, they have other cats to whip.

- - -
w5omr

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »

I think there's more to it than sheer numbers.

Oh it's numbers alright, Bill, but the digits are Dollar $ign$.

Lobbyists from Yaecomwood preach to the ARRL about how many radios they're not selling.  Since the American Racket Raisers League is 'the voice' to the FCC, after kickbacks from Yaecomwood, the ARRL complains to the FCC that the tests are too hard, outdated, and there's nothing to be gained from experimentation anymore, so give the Ham Bands (basically) to the Citizens.  The bottom line is, Yaecomwood sells more radios.

Radio for Hams isn't about Radio, anymore... it's about Dollar$ for the manufacturers.

You watch - the next step is going to be that Hams can -only- run FCC type-accepted Transceivers.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:24:23 PM »

The other side of the coin is: who wants to talk to dumbed down hams?  They contribute nothing to the hobby but QRM .

When it ceases to matter, they will be all that's left so who cares?

Our class of "real hams" will last as long as we do.

js

I have had many pleasant QSOs with hams who have recently passed the test.  I see no connection, per se, between what test someone passed and their abilty to hold an interesting conversation.  Nor do I necessarily see a connection between intelligence and the ability to pass the test - either 30 years ago or today.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1EUJ
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »

Doesn't every Senior class in High School think they were the best, got away with more troublemaking, etc?

Here's the the new hams! PM me if you need some parts or advice.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
Product of the Dumbed-Down Testing System, Class of 1996.
K1MVP
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »

I have had many pleasant QSOs with hams who have recently passed the test.  I see no connection, per se, between what test someone passed and their abilty to hold an interesting conversation.  Nor do I necessarily see a connection between intelligence and the ability to pass the test - either 30 years ago or today.

Johnny,
If what you say is true,--then why bother to have any exam at all?

Sure,-- one might, or could have have an "interesting conversation" , but about what?--world travel,
house repair, biking, etc, etc,-- but how can one "converse" about electronics, or radio without
some "basics" or "fudamentals" about basic LCR circuits, antenna`s, reactive circuits and how they
pertain to building or fixing equipment and/ or antennas?

Ever try to explain how a resonant circuit works to someone who does not even know, or more
importantly understand ohms law?

73, K1MVP

P.S, The ARRL and others will say--"you were a newcomer once",--to which I will say, it`s true,--but,
      I began as a Novice, with restricted privileges(low power, xtal control, cw, etc, etc) I did not begin
      as an "Extra" with the knowledge of a Novice, or worse yet, less than the knowledge of a Novice.

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:09 PM »

It has been often said in many ways, "it's not how you obtained your license that matters; it's how you use it."

Some of us may not approve of or like the "dumbed-down" requirements and testing procedures but that's the way it is in the New Millennium.

Be thankful that the regulators haven't enacted restrictions against us building our own transmitters as is now the case in Canada (and probably other countries) for the entry-level license.  Other than us, who would object?

The cold, hard facts are: If we don't attract newcomers AND make them feel welcome the numbers of licensees will dwindle and our frequencies will disappear.  Then we're done.

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
K1MVP
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »

It has been often said in many ways, "it's not how you obtained your license that matters; it's how you use it."

Sorry,--Mike,--I dont buy that line,--its straight from the ARRL "power brokers".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of us may not approve of or like the "dumbed-down" requirements and testing procedures but that's the way it is in the New Millennium.

If you want to accept "dumbed down" or "mediocity" just because its the "New Milennium", then "go for it",
Really a sad state of affairs, if that is your attitude.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be thankful that the regulators haven't enacted restrictions against us building our own transmitters as is now the case in Canada (and probably other countries) for the entry-level license.  Other than us, who would object?

Dont think the FCC has not thought of it, and it may just happen in this country also in the not so
distant future.
I still think the FCC no longer views Ham Radio here as an "asset" but a "liability", or even a "thorn" in
their side, especially when it comes to complaints, they have little or no time or resources to deal with.    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cold, hard facts are: If we don't attract newcomers AND make them feel welcome the numbers of licensees will dwindle and our frequencies will disappear.  Then we're done.

Watering down, the requirements just to get the #`s and $$`s up is what is doing ham radio in, NOT
maintaining standards.

73, K1MVP

K9ACT
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »

I have had many pleasant QSOs with hams who have recently passed the test.  I see no connection, per se, between what test someone passed and their abilty to hold an interesting conversation.

That brings up an interesting point as it “takes two to tango”.  If a QSO collapses after an exchange of sig reports and rig info, neither side is more at fault than the other. 

Having been a salesman in one form or another all my life, I naturally fall into the habit picking people’s brains to keep a conversation going.  I don’t particularly like to have to do it but it’s sort of second nature to me.

Most people don’t have that innate ability or even know they should try but that does not mean they have nothing interesting to say or talk about.  Unfortunately, all too frequently people don’t but at least one should give them a fair chance.

My interest in the other guy’s rig is near zero unless he made it himself or spent a great deal of time with his head inside of it.

So, when the conversation sags, I don’t say I just got the dinner call, I ask him what other hobbies he has.  If no sparks there I ask what he does for a living.  If he sells life insurance, I start smelling dinner but before giving up I buzzard about my hobbies and background and most often, end up with a worthwhile QSO.

This of course explains why round tables are so popular.  The less gregarious get to be involved but don’t have to hold down the fort. 

I have run two nets in my ham career 20 years apart and both of them were a lot of fun because topics sort of produce themselves and people who have a hard time one-on-one enjoy being part of a gang.

So I guess I agree with the first statement but not with this….

>  Nor do I necessarily see a connection between intelligence and the ability to pass the test - either 30 years ago or today.

It seems obvious to me that someone has to be more intelligent to pass a harder test but again, he still may have something interesting to talk about.

js

WA3VJB
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »

topics sort of produce themselves and people who have a hard time one-on-one enjoy being part of a gang.

Very true, and I want to point out that there are a lot of listeners to our roundtables who have never introduced themselves nor taken part. Not just SWLs, but licensed people from all backgrounds, typically set up with contemporary transceivers who have discovered us. They find us interesting, and they eventually could be prompted to check in and say hello.

Don's original post had to do with the standards and practices of the volunteer exam program.  To his comments, I agree that there is little enforcement against sloppy testing, and no oversight of the latest threat to licensing, that of municipal workers laying claim to homeland security money by "qualifying" as amateur radio operators.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »

Johnny,

"Here ya go. Fill out this here application and mail it with 2 QST front covers and your license will be mailed in a week !!"   Roll Eyes
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »

Johnny,

Sure,-- one might, or could have have an "interesting conversation" , but about what?--world travel,
house repair, biking, etc, etc,-- but how can one "converse" about electronics, or radio without
some "basics" or "fudamentals" about basic LCR circuits, antenna`s, reactive circuits and how they
pertain to building or fixing equipment and/ or antennas?

Ever try to explain how a resonant circuit works to someone who does not even know, or more
importantly understand ohms law?

73, K1MVP

P.S, The ARRL and others will say--"you were a newcomer once",--to which I will say, it`s true,--but,
      I began as a Novice, with restricted privileges(low power, xtal control, cw, etc, etc) I did not begin
      as an "Extra" with the knowledge of a Novice, or worse yet, less than the knowledge of a Novice.

Rene, your premise that just because someone passed the new exam they necessarily have no (or limited) technical knowledge is faulty.  There are those who have been hams for 40 years that couldn't hold a technical conversation to save their lives, yet I've had good in-depth technical QSOs (and off-the-air eyeballs) with new hams.

Regardless, technical knowledge is but one aspect  of ham radio.  The FCC's goal is to ensure hams have the knowledge and ability not to cause interference with other services and know the regulations.  I don't think it's ever been intended as primae facie evidence of one's electronics skills.

As with on-the-air behavior, it all depends upon the individual, and has relatively little to do with the difficulty (or lack thereof) of the exam.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 10:50:01 AM »

MisterMike, W1RC

Couldn't have said this better, Mike!

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »

So true Mack.... I personally know 2 Extras who "Bought" their dipoles 'cause they ain't never made one before. I tried to show'em how but they didn't wanna take the time.

Oh well....
w5omr

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »

I can't believe how much 'store-bought' dipoles are going for, either.

It's cheaper to go to Radio Shack, get a chassis mount SO-239, go to one of the 'do-it-yourself-stores' (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) and get a roll of 12ga house wire, and then saw up some scrap piece of plexi-glass (which they'll probably give you) and drill a couple holes for strain relief's, mount the SO-239, cut the wire for the frequency you want and build your own, for *at least* half of what the 'store-bought' things are going for.

That's one of the first things a new ham learns, is how to build a dipole.  If hams of today don't know -that-, what DO they know?
AF9J
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »

Buddly & Geoff,

Good points.  I've never understood why (even if they have the money) some hams buy dipoles.  They're ridiculously easy to make.  As a ham who's had antenna real estate limitations for years, I've always ended up rolling my own wire antennas for HF (oftentimes having to be creative in the process, in order to get things to fit in what space I have), and even occasionally VHF & UHF (a HB 3-el 2m quad years ago, and as a quick and dirty antenna for 432 SSB & CW, stacked loops made out of stiff brass wire).  Antennas are one of the easiest things to expiriment with (except for any climbing you need to do! Wink )

Ellen - AF9J
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

Ellen..... ya ever notice how you really hafta work at it to make a BAD 40 meter dipole ?

My bestest pal and I have put 40m ants in attics, apartments, 20ft pine trees and a bunch of other less than optimum spots and have never been able to make'em fail !!

We had one in his attic that had more twists and turns than an O.J. hearing. We couldn't keep the Europeans away with a sharp stick !!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015