The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:25:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nature is Destroying the Environment  (Read 10498 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: August 23, 2007, 07:30:50 AM »

From the "You Gatta Be Kidding Me" bin:

Moose Belches

THIS is ur science !!! I wonder ifn there's a concenses on this Huh
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:26:44 AM »

The poles are melting making it easier to get to the oil the cave men left when they caused global warming after inventing fire.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »

Geeeeeezzzzzeeeee!!!!!!!!! That one is almost as bad as the congressional study on bovine flatulence!!

Hey Buddly, It could be tha makin for some good huntin and one hell of a good barbeque!!!  Moose roast tickets anyone??  Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 10:38:29 AM »

That's right Frank !!

Save the planet..... kill a Moose !!!
Bullwinkle steaks anyone  Grin Roll Eyes
k7yoo

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »

It sounds like those Moose are into heavy flatulence. Now I am beginning to wonder about those pickled eggs I like so much. I suppose they will soon be coming out with charcoal filtered Depends for the heavy flatulators in the family. On another "natural disaster" note I see where they are suspecting pigeon dung may have contributed to the corrosion in the Minneapolis bridge collapse. I see some serious target practice opportunities coming up soon!
Winona is a mess after the 17" of rainfall last weekend. lots of mud, washed out homes, cars, etc. My only loss is a motorhome that didn't work out as a boat--flood went over the top. I just salvaged my tools out of it--yecccch!! The upside is the insurance company now owns it!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »

I recall a study from the 1970s(?) about how many billion cubic feet of cattle farts are produced each year. As amusing as it sounds, it's an enormous amount of 'nasty gas'. At least by their calculations. Not sure if they used the same calculator as the folks who claim the polar ice caps are going to drown us... Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »

Nothing compared to the effects of active volcanoes.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:02 PM »

Which is what was responsible for the most recent mini-ice age. But it does no good to scold volcanoes, they simply ignore you. Now, a moose....you can teach a moose a lesson. Uh huh...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »

Or the other way around. Dig up Woody Allen's stand-up routine from many years ago on Moose Hunting. Hilarious.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:17:05 PM »

Nothing compared to the effects of active volcanoes.

And swamp gases.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »

It sounds like those Moose are into heavy flatulence. Now I am beginning to wonder about those pickled eggs I like so much. I suppose they will soon be coming out with charcoal filtered Depends for the heavy flatulators in the family. On another "natural disaster" note I see where they are suspecting pigeon dung may have contributed to the corrosion in the Minneapolis bridge collapse. I see some serious target practice opportunities coming up soon!
Winona is a mess after the 17" of rainfall last weekend. lots of mud, washed out homes, cars, etc. My only loss is a motorhome that didn't work out as a boat--flood went over the top. I just salvaged my tools out of it--yecccch!! The upside is the insurance company now owns it!

Hi Skip,

Tom, KC9ECI (who is a volounteer EMT for Galesville) sent me a link to photos taken by him and some of the hams in your neck of the woods.  Nasty stuff.  You still getting rain by the ton?  The ground's saturated here. We had severe storms yesterday with flash flooding.  The Root River (near me) has had some flooding.  In Kenosha County (40 miles south of me, on the state line), both the Des Plaines and Fox Rivers have flooded.  Well, I'd better get going, so I can get out to my car in the lot, before the storm on radar gets here.

Ellen - AF9J
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »

Emissions from animals and from burning wood and other plant products do not affect the level of carbon in the air.  Burning oil, natural gas and coal does.

Swamp grass, trees and animal farts are all active participants in the carbon cycle.  Plants absorb CO2, release oxygen and retain carbon.  Animals eat the grass, which combines with oxygen and ferments in the stomach, and re-releases the carbon back into the atmosphere, in the form of methane.  The animal also breathes in oxygen and breathes out CO2.  It's all a closed cycle, so that the average amount of carbon in the environment is constant.  Same with burning wood and the natural decay of dead plant matter.  Carbon in vegetable matter combines with oxygen in the air, releases CO2 and heat.  New plants take in CO2 and retain solar heat through photosyntheses, and release oxygen while retaining the carbon. The cycle starts all over again.  The carbon level in the atmosphere remains constant.

With oil, coal and natural gas, the carbon which has been locked up for millions of years, out of circulation, is extracted from the ground.  When fossil fuels are burnt, the ancient carbon is unlocked and released into the atmosphere, increasing the atmospheric carbon level.

In burning fossil fuels, we are returning the earth's atmosphere to a more primitive period in geological history, when CO2 was more abundant than it is to-day, and oxygen less abundant.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Art
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »

Hideho Don. . . . .

http://www.oism.org/pproject/fig4.gif shows the annual mean surface temperatures in the contiguous United States between 1895 and 1997, as compiled by the National Climate Data Center. Horizontal line is the 103-year mean. The trend line for this 103-year period has a slope of 0.022 șC per decade or 0.22 șC per century. The trend line for 1940 to 1997 has a slope of 0.008 șC per decade or 0.08 șC per century.

The data show the temperature at a given point in the Atlantic ocean has changed +/-about 3 degrees C back to 1890.

I think the group on the AM bulletin board has observed a much more significant (than man) effect on global warming. . . . The Sun. We have all experienced the effect. . . no point belaboring it. http://www.oism.org/pproject/fig3.gif {This is the part that has something to do with radio. . . is it us hams heating the ionosphere that's really the problem, hmmmmmm *strap* . . nvm}

300 years ago we were in the midst of the little ice age. 700 years before that Greenland was aptly named and founded as an agricultural colony.

One thought that might make sense is the increase in carbon dioxide *lags* rather than leads temperature increases (say, from the Sun) because oceans give off gasses as temperatures increase. (Rem: we are 300 years into a warming trend. . . .)

Of course the supporters of global warming, primarily and specifically caused by man, will resist this, volcanoes, moose  and cow emissions, or any view except theirs.

Industrial man emits greenhouse gasses and affects the temperature of the earth but I think the exaggeration of this effect is being used for purposes far less altruistic, and in support of agendas far removed, from the preservation of the earth. 

Now, which shell was that pea under . . . .

WA1HZK

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

I can see it now....
Row after Row of Moose. All locked up like veal. Vinal hoses dumping into the main trunk line. Powers Al Gore's house......

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »

Now that's funny Keith !!!

Art: We're just a pimple on the earth's butt.. It don't know we're here !!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 05:35:41 PM »

I don't think the atmosphere can discern the source of CO2 or any other gas. One source is just as bad or good as another.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »

It isn't CO2 causing the warming of the earth, it's CRT. It's displacement of the atmosphere. The atmosphere is thicker because of all the CRT's in the world.  And  the two timelines coincide perfectly.  When the world goes to LCD and other type of displays the global temp will drop.  Grin Grin

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »

I think you are on to something there!

It isn't CO2 causing the warming of the earth, it's CRT. It's displacement of the atmosphere. The atmosphere is thicker because of all the CRT's in the world.  And  the two timelines coincide perfectly.  When the world goes to LCD and other type of displays the global temp will drop.  Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015