The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:19:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to AM and need recommendation for class e  (Read 23401 times)
AB1GX
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:28:34 AM »

I'm new to AM and,  in fact, just appeared on ULS a few days ago (I'm a 'codeless extra').

I plan to build a class e transmitter for 80 meters, any recommendations?
Did some SPICE runs and got LCs of .35uH and .0025uF @250V & 70A.  It's hard to match the switching FET's 10 milliOhm Ron.  Wow!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »

Tons of info at the links below. I'm sure some of the Class E guys will jump in here soon.

http://www.classeradio.com/

http://classe.monkeypuppet.com/
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »

go to ARRL site select QEX and down load the sample article for Nov 2005. It is actually pretty easy to match them. The hard part is driving the gate but Steve has found some drivers to take care of that.
These parts don't glow in the dark though. They let the light out all at once just before the smoke comes out. Still it is a lot of fun getting 5 KW peak out of a handful of plastic parts.
AB1GX
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »

Thanks for the pointers.

In the meantime, I'm going to crank up an old Swan 500C, unsuppress some carrier and join the 'ghetto' gang.
nu2b
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:00:08 PM »

Hey Guys-This is a repeat of recent post on Steve's site.

Hey Folks,
Since I'm retired now,
I finally got off my butt and posted some Class-E design info at

http://www.qsl.net/nu2b/

Look under the "downloads" section.

If anyone finds this of interest or has any trouble with downloading stuff,
Please let me know.
Regards,
BobbyT
AB1GX
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »

Thanks nu2b, the filter software comes in quite handy.

I've been playing with a Spice version for switching power supplies.  I may be able to get a KW with one FET (.01 Ohm Ron and 300 volt).  The only real issue is the rather high current in Pi net which probably requires .005uF caps carry 80A...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:32:54 PM »

vacuuum variable caps handle plenty of RF current.....
AB1GX
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »

vacuuum variable caps handle plenty of RF current.....

Yeah, but I can buy a KW ricebox for the price of those .005uF vacuum caps.  The voltage isn't that high (500V peak) even under no load.  Mica???

Maybe I could construct the two .005uF fixed caps from sheet aluminum...  I think it's around a KV/mm breakdown in air.  Fortunately I only need a few hundred pf variable to tune the 80 meter band and I'll follow it by an antenna tuner to get the load to 50 Ohms.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »

Thanks nu2b, the filter software comes in quite handy.

I've been playing with a Spice version for switching power supplies.  I may be able to get a KW with one FET (.01 Ohm Ron and 300 volt).  The only real issue is the rather high current in Pi net which probably requires .005uF caps carry 80A...

Wow, a KW on one FET?
What device is capable of that power?
(obviously there are some.... bet they're big bucks though)

We're using 10 FQA11N90 FETs (2 modules of 5) for a max of 500 watt carrier... for 75 and 160 meters.
(QIX's design)
Allowing for a safety margin of course....

Those are 900volt 10.7 amp devices....

For drivers, I'm using the DEIC420 from IXYSRF... they drive 5 FETs (11n90) at 160 and 75 no problem.
There are also IXDD414, they'll drive 2 of those FETs.

Lots of ways to do it!!

Using QIX's design went very easy for me as a first large transmitter project, and works very well.

AB1GX
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »

For this plumbing/sheetmetal project, I'm using a 60NM30 (.045 Ohm on @ 30A).  The very low on resistance is key.

I modelled a circuit without the ferrite xfm'r using only a Pi network.  Lower voltages, but big current.  The ratio of peak FET voltage to output voltage is 1:2 as in your circuit.  It's kind'a like designing a magnetic loop antenna.

The pi net is .005uF, .38uH, .005uF. Any RFC over 10uH will do.  And best of all, the voltages don't go crazy at no load.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »

Hello AB1GX,
I didn't get the name. But welcome to the AM crowd. It's a wonderful challenge and the Class E Tx is going to be a nice project for you. I bought a complete Class D Tx for 80M from a Ham in Washington State, K7DYY. I tried to put the kit togther, BUT I couldn't see the DA## parts!!!! Sooo I sent the kit back and paid the "upgrade" to assemble the kit.
While you are gathering your parts and thoughts, try to get on the air with your transceiver and a linear or go the Tube route. Lottsa nice receivers and Tx's for sale at the 'Festers and on this forum.
Good luck I hope to work you on AM SOON
Fred KC4MOP

Fred KC4MOP
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »

Hi:

I am running Class E at from 125-250 watts on 75m. I am using push pull 3x3 FQA11n90 Fets as per Steve WA1QIX (I have made 400 watt carrier, but do not need to stay there). PDM modulated. Pretty high voltage pulses at the output.

There are other ways of doing it, and am interested to see how your single fet works. Some people are doing Class D and Class H audio.

I believe in push pull RF...the two out of phase pulses add nicely in the output tank circuit.

Please keep us posted!

Dan
W1DAN
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »

Hey, welcome to AM !!  Good stuff ! Smiley

On the class E transmitter - I've found it easiest to keep the impedance above 3 ohms and below about 8 ohms.  The tank components are very reasonable, and the modulators are easier to build at these impedances.  This suggests higher voltage - say, 40 volts at 10 amperes at carrier.  This can EASILY be done with $35.00 worth of MOSFETs (12 of them @ less than $3.00 each) in the RF amp, and $18.00 worth of driver ICs (1 driver per 2 MOSFETs @ around $3.00 each).  4 Multilayer Ceramic caps by ATC for the shunt caps (use the 100C series), and 12 FB-43-1020 cores (at about $1.80 each) make up the output RF transformers.

An inductance of between 4 and 8 uH and an air variable cap of around 500pF for tuning, with a 3 or 4 gang broadcast variable for loading round out the tank.

Throw some transzorbs across the gates and drain busses, just in case; a little overcurrent protection (part of the modulator), and you've got a pretty much indestructable RF amplifier.

All of this is well (hopefully!) documented at the class E web site (http://www.classeradio.org)

Also, feel free to contact me with any questions !

Lots of guys have built class E transmitters, many of these were first homebrew transmitters.

Glad to have you with us !

Regards,

Steve WA1QIX

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »

my final is closer to 2 ohms so the transformer primary is 1/2 copper tubing with 2 turns of #10 teflon covered wire secondary. Low Z is harder to deal with as you see when the cap valuse get high. Also transformers have leakage inductance that will effect tank values.  Lower voltage does offer more safety factor but consider the trade off with caps that need to handle very large currents.
AB1GX
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

Again, thanks for the info and encouragement!

If I fail obtaining a practical realization of my CAD models, I'll go with one of your tried and true designs. 

And yes my concern is the high current in the caps.  I may not be able to shove enough sheet aluminum into a small enough space to go the air cap route.

I just picked up some .001 Ohm 275A TrenchFETs.  How 'bout a KW on 12V???

For the modulator, I'm using an old 50V 30A switching supply and applying modulation by varying the reference voltage with a 0-50V voice signal.

Glad to be here!

AB1GX, Tom

WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »

This Fairchild FET Steve found is hard to beat for performance and price.
I have not blown one yet.
AB1GX
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »

This Fairchild FET Steve found is hard to beat for performance and price.
I have not blown one yet.

Yeah, but their on-res is .98 Ohms.  I'll need twenty of those babies to replace one low on-res FET.  Those things are more like vacuum tubes!

AB1GX
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 09:59:23 PM »

An update...

So far so good.  A 1/2" copper pipe is around 9" in diameter for resonance at 4 mHz with .005uF caps in the Pi network.  My rf choke is 20 turns of 1/4" copper pipe on a 1" core.  Each .005uF cap is made from 10 500pF caps in parallel to handle the current (maybe???).  No ferrite cores are needed (at this point).  A 100pF variable air cap allows tuning the 75M band.

The only thing bad that happened so far is that I blew out some 200W light bulbs which were the load.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »

Cool!

Lookin forward to chatting with ya....Class E with an S38!

Dan
W1DAN

WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »

I went to the fairchild site and was surprised with the number of trench fets. They are low voltage though. I wonder what you are using for a device and who makes it?
AB1GX
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »

For low voltage (which means you need a big impedance step up in your output network), I'm playing with IRF4104s.  They're about .006 Ohm at 70A but are limited to 40V, and they're cheap.  So 500W per FET seems possible in a switching Amp.  Unfortunately, I don't have a SPICE model for these newer 0-5V gate drive FETs.

BTW, I solved a major problem I had with finding 200A 12V power supplies -Now I'm using a single car battery for 13V and four in series for 50V (and of course a trickle charger per battery).

This class e stuff looks like it belongs in a welding shop.
AB1GX
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

It's looking better for a single FET 1.5KW class e. The key is a FET with on resistance of .050 Ohm (or less) with a peak voltage of 300V.  I built a prototype with 1/10 the power with a 100V FET using a Pi network.  The supply voltage was under 15V.

I've been trying to get a configuration that can do 1.5KW with a .01 Ohm on resistance - 100V HexFET, but so far no luck with any transistor I have a SPICE model for.  If I have some time, I'll try to find out what parameter(s) is responsible for this limitation.

BTW, I'd expect the transformer output 1.5KW designs could take advantage of using a single .040 Ohm 300V transistor.  I think you'd just have to use the 1:4 stepup rather than a 1:2 in the multi-ferrite core output transformer.

Quick question - How many dB down do you need to keep the 2nd harmonic?
Anyone use a 2nd harmonic trap like in class F?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 04:47:34 PM »

Any "Spurs" must be 40db down... for "barefoot" operation.... below 30mhz.
(44.77 db down for 1500watt HF)
(30db for >25watts)

That's one reason for using more than one device in a "Push-Pull" arrangement....
Cuts down on those nasty harmonics.....

As you go along.... maybe you'd post some of this over at the Classs-E forum too!!

AB1GX
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 05:17:20 PM »

Thanks!

In other words, the 2nd harmonic radiated power must be 45 dB down.  It's measured from the antenna, right?

Yeah, the third harmonic is way-way down, but the second is only about 25-30 dB down across the 50 Ohm load resistor in my prototype. 
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »

I've been trying to get a configuration that can do 1.5KW with a .01 Ohm on resistance - 100V HexFET, but so far no luck with any transistor I have a SPICE model for.  If I have some time, I'll try to find out what parameter(s) is responsible for this limitation.

Quick question - How many dB down do you need to keep the 2nd harmonic?
Anyone use a 2nd harmonic trap like in class F?

Watch out for package lead inductance. I'm not sure if its actually in the spice models, but for a TO-247 package its probably around 15 nanoH  Thats an Xl of 0.3 ohms. When your looking at a low impedance load it may become quite significant .  Anyway, give it a go and see what happens. Spice is nice to play with, but real parts and solder are reality.

As for harmonics, the Caltec/QST (http://www.its.caltech.edu/%7Emmic/reshpubindex/papers/QST.pdf) 40M class-e uses a 2nd harmonic trap that doubles as part of the loading capacitance

Ian VK3KRI
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015