The AM Forum
June 02, 2024, 04:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question - B&W 5100 On SSB?  (Read 2448 times)
W1UJR
« on: December 25, 2006, 02:31:07 PM »

Yes, I know it is the AM Forum, but most of us like to play around with vintage gear.
I have a 5100 with the SSB adaptor and was considering getting on the air this Christmas vacation.

Its a heavy beast, so before I drag it out from the storeroom and onto the bench I wanted to see if anyone has used one of these on SSB?
I'd be intersted in hearing your pro/cons, and thoughts on the matter.
Specifically how well they work on SSB, problems, etc.

Tnx es 73,
Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.net
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »

Heard a number of them on the Vintage SSB net on Sundays over the last several years. They all had a good sounding signal. Uses the phasing method for SSB. Biggest problem besides aging caps, resistors, etc. was carrier null issues. i.e. keeping the carrier out of the transmitted signal.

I still have a 5100B and 51SB-B in their original cartons. The last time (I was told by the original owner) that they both were out of their cartons was about 1965. One of these days, I'll pull them out and fire them up.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:18:31 PM »

Bruce I have a 5100B and 51SB-B that I use on SSB.  It is a good set for that purpose.  The VFO runs in the 1.7 Mcy range giving it stability that many other sets like the Apache cannot duplicate.

On SSB, it has good punch and works great for me.  The 5100 is unique in that the mixing scheme is different than other sets.  Have a pocket full of 6AQ5s.  Thank goodness they don't go bad oftern.

The only real problem is that it has so many knobs to tune that sometimes you can get lost.  Just follow the directions and you will be happy.  Good set.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »

Thanks guys!

I was debating if I should haul the old gal out for some work/play during Christmas vacation.
You just answered my questions!

This has to be one of the more intersting transmitters from a design view.
Most modules are built on seperate chassis.
Nice design to service, but very heavy!

Thank God for my Rubbermaid service cart, works like a dream!

Best for the New Year!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 03:29:58 PM »

Biggest problem besides aging caps, resistors, etc. was carrier null issues. i.e. keeping the carrier out of the transmitted signal.

I have the same problem with my BC-610.  Grin

Seriously, Bruce, I've always heard good things about that setup, as you can see by the comments here.

P.S. Tnx for the great set of Xmas pics of Casa Bruce.
vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015