The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 09:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got the pleasure to see 500KW WLW tx  (Read 3027 times)
KR4WI
« on: December 03, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »

I just wanted to share this with all here, What a pleasure it was to see the transmitter that put out a 500kw signal. If you are new to tube transmitters, like myself, and AM radio, touring a local radio station transmitter building would be a great way to spend a day. I got to tour WLW in Mason, OH yesterday. The mod transformer held 750 of oil. And it was also exciting to see 50kw at work. I just wanted to pass this along in case any of the new guys on here have not thought about it yet. This sure brings a new way of looking at the transmitter we use on AM. Matthew KR4WI
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »

Some readers might be interested to know how you booked your tour.  I have heard that the transmitter is now unattended, and that tours must be specially arranged at the convenience of the engineering staff.

Years ago, when  the sight was attended 24/7 and shared with the VOA transmitter site, I had always heard that they gave drop-in tours if the personnel happened not to be busy at the time you stopped by.  I have never toured the site myself, although I have ridden past it many times.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KR4WI
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »

Hey Don:  I got the tour from a friend. It is attended,24/7 and his name is Ted Ryan, the engineer. I was told that if something came up I may not get the tour, but I took a chance and drove up their and  luckily everything went as planed. Matthew KR4WI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »

Ironically, I was just reading through an old AWA Old Timers Bulletin last night with an article about this very transmitter and the Blaw-Knox tower. It showed a picture of Powel Crosley holding one of the long transmitter tubes. If I read the article right, only the bottom of the tower remained in use? This was 1983 or 84.

Another impressive site is the trio of towers seen as you fly over Annapolis. Those were the days, for sure.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:27:05 AM »

Yes I have been to WLW as well. In 1992 I was on my way to Upton KY. Following the truck that contained a 50Kw AM broadcast transmitter that was used to make a 50Kw shortwave transmitter for WJCR . I wqas lagging a bit behind. My travels took me by Cincinatti . I saw the signs for Mason. I stopped and found my way to WLW. I called the studio. The engineer met me and gave me a full tour of the facillity. They were using a Continental 317-c for their main xmtr. The original 50Kw plate modulated transmitter ,which used water cooled PA and modulator tubes, was retrofitted with modern Eimac water cooled types. This transmitter is,was?, in backup service. There still was the Crosley 50Kw Cathanode transmitter as well The 500 Kw transmitter was mostly intact.The original 500Kw transmitter had 2 modulators .One of the modulation transformers had been removed. I looked at what was left and though to myself ,WoW this would make an interesting project to euqip it with modern day tubes and make it funtional at the 50Kw level. What a piece that would be. A funtional piece of history rather than a non funtional  transmitter that occupies most of the building. I would love to have the job of restoring that piece of history to operation. I imagine that the parent company that owns WLW would have no interest and no money. De Tim WA1HnyLR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015