The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 05:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver and ceramic cleaning  (Read 4405 times)
pwfallon
« on: November 17, 2006, 02:50:43 PM »

Next item for the new final is to get the bandswitch and tank coil cleaned up and installed.

Both the tank coil and bandswitch have heavily tarnished silver plating that needs some TLC. Also the ceramic on the bandswitch looks like it needs a good cleaning after a lot of years of neglect. I have used the XYL's silver cleaner in the past and it sorta works but I was wondering what your experiences have been with this issue.

tnxs,

PW
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 03:06:23 PM »

silver oxide is a better conductor than silver so if you really want to clean it run it through the dishwasher.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »

Fill a large bowl with steaming hot water.  Mix 2-tablespoons salt and 2-tablespoons baking soda and add mixture to the hot water.  Cut a small sheet of aluminum foil and push it to the bottom of bowl.  Dip silver items. Most tarnish will slide off. For stubborn stains, allow them to sit for up to 5-minutes at a time.  Rinse and dry well.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »

Frank said:
silver oxide is a better conductor than silver so if you really want to clean it run it through the dishwasher.

I'm with Franz on this one. That tarnish won't hurt a thing especially on the coils.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »

there yo go Joe!! I couldnt have said it better!! Scrub the porcelain with a little soap and water and it looks brand new!!
                                   the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
pwfallon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »

I ran the coil and bandswitch thru the dish washer. It worked quite well and really cleaned them up.

tnx for the tip,

PW
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:34:31 PM »

w3jn
Johnny Novice once stated:

That would all be great if the black coating you see on silver was silver oxide, but it ain't.  Silver tarnish is silver SULFIDE which, although conductive, isn't as conductive as silver oxide or nearly as conductive as metallic silver.

That is all.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »

P Dub....hope the XYL had a good load of the blue rinse goo so there were no water spots
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015