The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Locking Fastner - How?  (Read 5623 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: November 05, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »

I am restoring a HQ-140X. I want to remove the bezels on the front panel as they need repainting. They are held on with a small locking fastener on two small pins (see picture). How do I back them off without breaking the pins or the fastener?

Thanks and 73
KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 09:00:50 PM »

You will probably need to sacrifice the spring nut (or what ever its called) to save the pins.  They are still available for locking small (low torque) fasterners though. Check various hardware suppliers, I found some at the local hardware store, (NOT Home Depot or other big warehouse types, a REAL hardware store...)

Having had to deal with them in some automotive applications, (interior trim)  I've used a pair of fine tiped needle nose to grip the tooth and bend it slightly away from the pin. Do each pin and IF you are REAL carefull (Lucky) you can reuse the fastener.

Some one else might have a better technique...

Good Luck!!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
n3lrx
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:32:56 PM »

Check the HELP! section at your local Auto Parts store..
These types pf clips as mentioned above are often used in cars such as interior panels, molding, etc,
If you can't find the exact clip there is bound to be one that is a suitable replacement.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »

Carl,
all you can do is lift the barb with a pick to release it. Usually you have to bend them to get them loose. The metal will crack if it is hard. I've also cut them on the sides to get a release without damage to the post. Real hard to reuse them unless the metal is real soft so you can bend it back.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:41:44 PM »

Always keep a small container of Crazy Glue handy. This will not be used on the equipment. It is for your fingers.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 09:45:59 PM »

Always keep a small container of Crazy Glue handy. This will not be used on the equipment. It is for your fingers.

And always have handy a box of Crazy Bubbles.

Flav

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »

Or as Snoop would say:

"Carl,
all you can do is lift tha biznarb witta pick ta releaze it. usually you have ta bend T-H-to-tha-izzem ta git T-H-to-tha-izzem loose gangsta style. tha metal will crizzay if it is hard paper'd up. ive also cut thizzem on tha sides ta git a releaze witout damage ta tha post. real hard ta reuse them unless tha metal is real soft so you can bend it bizzle."
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »

Thanks to all.
I finally got to the little critters this weekend. It turned out with a fair amount of pull they came of FB and will be reusable. I did not want to push my luck as they are small and the posts on they mount on are pretty tiny.
But it all worked out.
Thanks again for the help

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »

A week later - howz dat fur rayaction time? - the things loosely referred to as synapses fire.

I think, iirc, those are "Tinnerman nuts"??

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015