The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM BANDWARMING  (Read 22861 times)
ve6pg

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 12:13:14 PM »

HMMM...LISTEN FIRST, AS THAT FREQ (3725), IS WHERE US CANADIANS HANG OUT.....U IZ WELCOME, OF COURSE...TIM....SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 02:25:54 PM »

Getting a 1x1 is really simple, and except for some individual stations I can't recall any wholesale AM activity running these Special Event calls. It took about five minutes to apply for one.

Ur right Paul..... easy as swattin' slopbuckets !!!
I'll advise as soon as I get a response.

Mike ZE: I'm in ur qso party man.

Tron mentioned last nite on 75 he's got an old rock for the advanced section of the band.
I'm planning on setting up shop there at the start.

Update..... Update.........Update

I'll be using special call W8A !!
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:30 AM »

FYI:  NTSC colorburst is 3.579545 MHz.
2 times at 7.15909 MHz and,
4 times at 14.31818MHz are pretty available too.
For obvious reasons, you wanted to stay off these frequencies anyway.

3.6864 MHz was a common clock frequency for micro's that also used it for baudrate generation for RS-232.
WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »

I submitted this brief writeup to QRZ.com.

Vintage radio hobbyists in the United States will celebrate the federal goverment's expansion of the 75 meter phone band with a "bandwarming" party from 3600-3800Kc starting at 0500 GMT Dec. 15, 2006.

The festivities are slated to begin Thursday evening Dec. 14th, when vintage radio enthusiasts in Canada will gather around several frequencies between 3700-3800, where they already enjoy phone privileges.

The Federal Communications Commission, as part of a decision to enlarge and more closely match the size of the 75 meter phone band with levels of activity, has specified enactment at midnight, Eastern time.

A number of U.S. stations have been granted the use of Special Event 1x1 Call Signs to help commemorate the regulatory upgrade.

By coincidence, December 2006 marks 100 years since radio pioneer experimenter Reginald Fesseden's celebrated Amplitude Modulation broadcasts, considered by many to be the first voice and music signals to be heard by the public audience for wireless.

The "bandwarming" of 2006 will again feature the AM mode, as vintage radio enthusiasts warm up their vacuum tube gear on a December night  a century later.

For more information:
http://amfone.net
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 09:15:57 AM »

I'm kind of wondering if that was such a good idea, Paul. That just might draw more (negative) attention then we wish. But, let see how it plays out and roll tape.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »

Geez loueeeze Mike.....

As long as we keep our cool the idiots will be seen for what they are.
The AM community has nothing to hide... nor should we !!

I had 50+ AM qsos Saturday during the Bruce Kelley Memorial QSO Party under special event call W8A.
Quite a few of them were guys who knew Bruce and operated SSB as a rule. They finally pushed the AM ricebutton and filled me in on what they remembered about Mr. Kelley. After the chat they ALL remarked about how neat it was to work AM and they shud do it more often.

Yes.... we'll draw some idiots. We'll also make some converts if we just keep our cool.

As Don K4KYV says..... ignore'em !

WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »

Mikey,

Not citing a specific frequency comes in handy to baffle the idiots.

It's also excellent grease for our own VFOs after years of inertia.

Catch you down low.

You gonna be a 1x1 of some kind ?

Takes about two minutes to fill out.

http://www.discoveret.org/wcars/special/special.html
W3SLK

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »

Paul said:
Mikey,

Not citing a specific frequency comes in handy to baffle the idiots.

It's also excellent grease for our own VFOs after years of inertia.

Catch you down low.

You gonna be a 1x1 of some kind ?

Takes about two minutes to fill out.

Actually Paul, I was thinking out loud. Of course it isn't going to be hard to find us, just listen for the hetrodyne. I'm thinking more along the lines that the SSBers aren't going to let us take over any freq. like we did up in at 3885. Too much pessimism on my part. I hope we do get some converts like Buddly said. As for the license, I have to see if I can get the HN-500 up there and do I want to go through the trouble.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »

Good Deal Phil.... I'll listen for ya !!!

"W3P, with K3V on the side and W2Z in the bucket, this is W8A !!!"

Boy..... that'll sound nice !!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »

Good Deal Phil.... I'll listen for ya !!!

"W3P, with K3V on the side and W2Z in the bucket, this is W8A !!!"

Boy..... that'll sound nice !!

With K1J listening, over.  (I applied today...  Grin)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »

With K1J listening, over.  (I applied today...  Grin)

I got K1Q overnight, so you should be all set tomorrow. Will we hear those 833s singin' for their supper? Or the blown 813 rig? Or....?

Two more days....!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 03:51:15 PM »

Those of you who applied for a special event callsign, what did you use for a special event name?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »

What about 40 meters?
advanced and extras get 7125 to 7150
generals 7175 to 7225

Shouldn't a presence also be made on forty?
How about 7130 to 7140 and 7180 to 7190?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 05:43:23 PM »

I see our friends across the pond have plugged us QRZ.  http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=140177

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 07:01:44 PM »

When applying for the 1x1, you could now use the event name of "Bandwarming Party" since the story is out there as such on eham.net, QRZ.com, and several of the boatanchor-type reflectors.

Turnaround time has been within a few hours, but I wouldn't wait much later than when you read thie following link (how to apply),  just to make sure you're in the database.

http://www.discoveret.org/wcars/special/special.html
John Holotko

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

I'm kind of wondering if that was such a good idea, Paul. That just might draw more (negative) attention then we wish. But, let see how it plays out and roll tape.

I think it is a good idea. Trump it up. We have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I am proud to tell any modern day hams that I run vintage tube gear on AM. If they don't like it then tough. We have just as much rights as any other mode.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W2JBL

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 08:34:46 PM »

well i'm not sitting here stuffing 30 round clips in anticipation of a firefight on 3685 but i'm sure a few slobuckets will chime in with nasty remarks..i mean hey i'ts 75 (Ok 80 now) phone! if it's anything like the night 160 opened and we piled on 1885 for the big frequency grab it should be fun! will we hear you down there John? haven't heard you on the air in ages.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:57 PM »

POsted on the other thread that the ARRL has petitioned the FCC not to change allocation of 3600-3635 as it is needed for rtty and other digital modes. go figure.
N8LGU

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »

Dave-in-the-'Cave will be operating as K8R. Boy, that sure was easy!

"Rock Cave Dave"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »

Those of you who applied for a special event callsign, what did you use for a special event name?

Amateur Radio Phone Liberation Day !
W3SLK

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2006, 09:15:47 AM »

Dave said:
Dave-in-the-'Cave will be operating as K8R. Boy, that sure was easy!

Well, I guess when I get there and for the duration, I will be operating as W3S, providing I get some time off from work. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »

I used the first link Paul provided and used the search function to find his call, then used the same 'AM QSO Party' figuring it would add continutity of some sort for whoever is issuing the calls. Added a little blurb in the description box about promoting the mode of AM and celebrating the phone band expansion, with the hope of educating and attracting more people to AM in particular and amateur radio in general. Kinda fluffy, but actually true. Wink

Thanks to Paul for providing this info, as it makes it easy for those of us who are up to our eyeballs in alligators a simple way to apply. I applied midday Monday and the confirmation was waiting in my inbox yesterday when I logged on.

Well, I guess when I get there and for the duration, I will be operating as W3S, providing I get some time off from work. Wink

Excellent, Mike(y) - congrats! I'm thinking the same thing, might be good to take a half day Friday, or the entire day. That way we can drink some caffiene and hang in there longer. Take a nap if needed, then pile back on Friday evening.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »

The W1Z will be on the air!  Grin

Bruce, your request for 1x1 call W1Z for the period 12/14-21/06 was granted and is posted on the 1x1 web. 
Have fun and enjoy.
Win Guin
WCARS/VEC, Inc.   

* gusgram.jpg (67.67 KB, 592x458 - viewed 462 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »

I applied and received a W1R special event call.  Not thinking this out and it just occured to me how does one sign the call if they are a temp Extra after just passing the Extra exam but not having the official ticket from the FCC in hand?  Can one legally sign W1R/AE when in the Extra portion of the band?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »

I applied and received a W1R special event call.  Not thinking this out and it just occured to me how does one sign the call if they are a temp Extra after just passing the Extra exam but not having the official ticket from the FCC in hand?  Can one legally sign W1R/AE when in the Extra portion of the band?

You don't have to. The FCC already blessed you with "Extra".
See:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2350916

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015