The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dirt bags of today's society  (Read 13686 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 03:03:28 PM »

That's a story for Reader's Digest, Mike...

Back 15 years ago in a super mkt parking lot I gently tapped a shopping cart with my truck. As luck would have it, the wind picked up and blew it about 25' - and it rolled gently into a new car. The bitch in the car jumped out in a rage. We discovered a tiny scuff that a plastic part would make, barely noticable and easily taken out with wax. She demanded my license and ran inside to call the cops. I told her I'd be shopping inside and to find me later. I've had those types of scuffs done to me and always let people off.

About 15 minutes later she tracks me down and is all smiles. Seems the cops told her anything under $200 does not require them. Plus they said her own insurance should cover it. (no fault) I guess she realized how ridiculous her claim was and tried to undo her greediness act.

From that point on I watch every shopping cart including when I roll them to a stop, as they sometimes spring to life again.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 05:57:54 PM »

An old friend of mine liked to drive his ford comet ( with the 202 engin) behind shopping carts and see how far up a grass hill he could make them fly .......   fun times when beer fuled ... klc

What? Me worry?
wa2zdy
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 07:57:27 PM »

A good brewski can be a wonderful lubricant for the imagination.
W2JBL

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 08:08:28 PM »

YES!!! that would be "shopping cart polo" in these parts. i used to play it all the time using my trusty 68 Ford Fairlane. big heavy chrome bumpers. shopping carts can be launched airborne, or acellerated to high velocities while rolling and "released" by tapping the brakes. years back some stupid B@#%H dinged my old Ford's door with hers (real hard) getting out of her car. well back then i was a lot more out of control than now, and when i got to my car i proceeded to launch a nearby shopping cart ( using Ford V8 power) into her festering minivan at a good 5-10 MPH. hope she enjoyed her "new" fender...revenge is sweet!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 09:50:40 PM »

"A good brewski can be a wonderful lubricant for the imagination"

Yes, this is true...They also make ex celent explosives; maybee in the tech forum??    klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 03:47:45 AM »

I but did pop it pretty good bumper to bumper.

I thought that was what bumpers were for.  I used to parallel park by gently backing up until I could feel contact with the  car behind, then pulling up until I tapped the bumper in front of me, then backing off enough to leave some space in between me and the car in front and the one to the rear.  Never caused any damage to my car or anyone else's.

But in recent years, I notice that cars don't have bumpers any more.  What sort of looks like a bumper is integrated into the body of the car, painted just like the rest of the body.  Even the slightest tap leaves a ding mark.  I have heard of  people backing a new car into a stationary object like a utility pole or a wall, at very low speed, something that wouldn't even leave a scratch on a real bumper, and causing over $1k damage.

Wonder what genius came up with the idea of designing cars without bumpers.

Is it called the autobody repairman's full employment act?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 04:27:34 AM »

...But in recent years, I notice that cars don't have bumpers any more.  What sort of looks like a bumper is integrated into the body of the car, painted just like the rest of the body.  Even the slightest tap leaves a ding mark.  I have heard of  people backing a new car into a stationary object like a utility pole or a wall, at very low speed, something that wouldn't even leave a scratch on a real bumper, and causing over $1k damage.

Wonder what genius came up with the idea of designing cars without bumpers.

Is it called the autobody repairman's full employment act?
More like trying to increase fuel economy by improving aerodynamics and using lighter-weight materials.

The typical modern car will have an aluminum "reinforcement" ["rebar" in body-shop parlance] with a styrofoam impact pad, all covered by a polyurethane fascia.  Looks nice, goes together quickly at the factory...but dont even think about it escaping undamaged from anything other than a slight tap.

When "energy-absorbing" bumpers were mandated for the 1973 model year, the requirement was that the bumper withstand a 5-MPH impact [those bumpers also mounted to telescoping absorbers, somewhat similar to shock-absorbers].  Later the requirement was dropped to 2-1/2 MPH, IIRC.  Having had family in the body-shop business and having worked in it myself, I can testify to the old adage that "they don't make 'em like they used to."  Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 07:19:18 AM »

"A good brewski can be a wonderful lubricant for the imagination"

Yes, this is true...They also make ex celent explosives; maybee in the tech forum??    klc

Sometimes too good

Explosion Kills 1 at Connecticut Party
7:37 AM EDT, October 23, 2006
By Associated Press

NEW MILFORD, Conn. -- Investigators were trying to determine who tossed a beer keg into a burning barrel at a party, causing a deadly explosion that sent metal shards slicing through a crowd of people.

The explosion early Sunday killed one and seven other people were taken to hospitals with burns and shrapnel wounds, police said.

Sgt. Lee Grabner said investigators interviewed witnesses Sunday to try to identify the person witnesses say threw a quarter-keg of beer into the flames, and to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.

Fires had been set in several barrels to keep people at the partygoers warm at the outdoors party in western Connecticut, said Police Captain Michael Mrazik.

"This is a certain tragedy," said Police Chief Colin McCormack. "However, nothing I have been apprised of to this point in this investigation, which I caution is at the very early states, indicates a deliberate act on anyone's part."

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »

imagine the steam pressure in that keg what an idiot
wa2zdy
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:49 AM »

And I've no doubt that idiot's imagination was well oiled.  Hopefully the law figures out that a negligent act (what else could you call it?) resulted in death and injury and reckless disregard and whatever else they call it in Connecticut and take appropriate action.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »

Not too many people know the results of a BLEVE.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 10:32:40 PM »

watch some bozo will sue the beer makers for explosive kegs and we will be drinking beer out of a plastic bag in a box.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015