The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:50:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M Balloon  (Read 21500 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 11:40:25 PM »

A big enough balloon could lift the center of an inverted-V.  I think that would be better than a vertical out to 300 miles.  The antenna would hold the balloon in one dimension, and some side ropes could hold the balloon in the other dimension. 

Yes, agreed! No radials needed and a great local-medium range pattern, especially if it was flown at 250', 1/2 wavelength high.  Maybe a lightweight, thin  aluminum type CATV coax would be good too.  I have some here that is about 1/3 the weight of the copper stuff.

BTW, back in 1966, being kinda of a nutcase when it came to antenna ideas, I bought that 8' weather balloon you used to see in the comic book ads. It was about $10 or so. Paper route money.

I planned on filling it with helium and floating up a dipole in the backyard. It was advertised as neopreme? or whatever that was to me back then. I figgered it was strapping like rubber. Anyway, I filled it up in the cellar with a reverse vacuum cleaner. I slowly increased its size over a series of days as the info suggested. At about the third day it was about 6'. While I was blowing it bigger I guess something on the floor stuck it and it blew up in my face. I was covered with this white powder.. probably coke... that was used to keep it dry inside. I looked like a three stooge in a bakery explosion.

I guess it was lucky I didn't spend more money on helium. It never would have pulled up my dipole anyway.

Later I went to Hatrys ham store and bought 170' of Channel Master telescoping mast. 170' was the FCC limit in 1966, so I wanted to be legal, of course. I actually tried to put it up in the back yard of a suburban house. That's another terribly wasteful story for another time... sigh.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »

Hi:

Our radio club tried this in the 1980's. It was inefficient, had lotsa static electricity when it was being reaised and the FAA was looking for us.

On another note in my younger days a group of us in another club flew trash bags filled with Oxygen and acetyline with a fuse for jJuly 4th.

The cops were looking for us too after the very large "BANG".

Neither group found us.....

Dan
W1DAN
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »

"flew trash bags filled with Oxygen and acetyline with a fuse for jJuly 4th" ....  do the words  new hartford enter into this equation??   If so, I know the launch site......    klc

What? Me worry?
wa2zdy
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

^^ If you try this, make sure you fill the balloon with hydrogen instead of helium.

Field Day 1975 - my first.  The radio club I joined decided a helium balloon and wire vertical would be a good thing to try.  We were located in a decent spot and up went the wire.  I understand it worked fairly well but I don't remember exactly how high the balloon was.   I know it built up a lot of static; doofus (me - age 13) grabbed hold of that wire.  Surprise!

Late that evening as a thunderstorm passed nearby there was a very close clap of thunder.  Except it wasn't thunder.   After the flaming mess landed, the guy who'd been charged with getting the balloon said "ya know, they didn't have any helium so they suggested hydrogen.  I hope that wasn't a mistake."

kf6pqt

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 09:46:41 AM »

Later I went to Hatrys ham store and bought 170' of Channel Master telescoping mast. 170' was the FCC limit in 1966, so I wanted to be legal, of course. I actually tried to put it up in the back yard of a suburban house. That's another terribly wasteful story for another time... sigh.

I SO want to hear this story!

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »

I'm running a Gotham vertical at 170 feet wx is FBOM. Rig is a pair of 4CX5000A at 72 watts. Coax is 300 feet of RG174.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »

RG59 to a Gotham Beam. That's what the real strappers use.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »

OK Guys
Dig out the hip boots and prepare for the fish stories..............hi
BS Level= 3.7

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2006, 02:21:26 PM »

I SO want to hear this story!

OK, you twisted my arm...

I was about 13 years old with a paper route. Not knowing anything about mechanics and the fact that Channel Master telescoping mast that thin couldn't stand more than 40' guyed every 10', I went in and paid for 17 sections. Now to get it home. I planned on carrying all 170' onto the Connecticut Bus Line that ran from Htfd to Windsor, about a 5 mile ride. Corky the ham salesman took pity on me and loaded it into his station wagon and gave me a ride home.

I only had enuff cash to buy 150' of guy wire. In reality I would have needed several thousand feet or more. The next day I started pushing the mast together in sections. I wanted to make sure it was good and tight so I slammed it against the house foundation. I split the seams of a few mast female ends. My dad came out yelling that I might punch a hole in the wall.

After a while the mast was about 100' long, snaking through the yard on the ground. I was beginning to have grave doubts if it would stand up at 170', so I decided to make two masts at 80' each to handle a flat dipole. So there's two 80' masts on the ground with only 150' of guy wire available. I went down to the hardware store and loaded up on clothes-line rope. After everything was laid out I went down the street recruiting all the neighborhood kids I could find for the mast raising. We all pulled like crazy, but the mast just swung around and kept falling to the ground like a big snake. A strapping neighbor came over and helped but that made it worst as the mast fell over and hit me pretty hard on the head.

All the kids went home and there I was with an expensive mess in the yard. Then I got the idea of chopping down a big tree in the nearby woods as a support and lashing the mast to it. I spent about three days chopping and dragging it into the yard. My dad put in some concrete and with the help of four neighbors we stood up this 40' tree pole. We got a tall ladder and lashed the mast to it and slid it up to about 60' with guy ropes - a pulley at the top to raise and lower inv vees.. Not bad, but not 170' like the original plan.

I got on the air with it using a 75M invereted Vee. I was immediately disappointed because I was getting only 5-7-9s, not 599's. I figured the mast was interfering with my inv vee. Dumb! So after all this work I then chopped down the tree and mast. My dad came home and was livid!

I then took the remaining mast and lashed three 50' sections together in one fat pole. This was a major job to erect and guy, but it was worth it. It solved the problem of having no tree supports on one side of the yard, so now I could put up a flat dipole at 50'. It worked FB for about a year.

Finally, the ultimate antenna using this masting was to take 40' and climb a 60' tree. Then I slid it up the tree and lashed it on. The top was at about 75' and guyed with the 75M inv vee itself and open wire feeders. The Tron came over in 1972 and commented that it was the highest AMer ant he had seen to date...  Grin

As the years went by I would find a pile of that old rusted masting. A friend even used some of it on his inv vee projects five years ago. I used to think if I only had all the money I spent on hair brained antenna projects from those early days...  But it was all part of the magic back then.  When I look at a picture of Hiram's bird cage at 50' using haywire guyed masts in a Hartford urban area, I understand.

T  

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kf6pqt

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2006, 03:28:58 PM »

Less catastrophic, yet more bizarre of a story than I had imagined. Wink Thanks!

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »

Now, just imagine what he would have done if he discovered that magical device called a welder.................................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »

"A strapping neighbor came over and helped but that made it worst as the mast fell over and hit me pretty hard on the head."

6m   -- now we know why .... ..   klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2006, 09:05:30 PM »

^^  Grin Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015