The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting high powered DC Drives  (Read 2585 times)
n3lrx
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:59:25 AM »

I may have the opportunity to acquire some High Powered DC Drives. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert these into modulators? I'm not too familiar with DC Drives but I know they operate similar to a PWM modulator but instead of driving a transmitter the output is sent to a Variable Speed DC Motor. Most of them are Fincor Drives to give you an idea of how 'High Powered' they are, some are capable of 3 digit amperage on the output.

If they are offered to me and these things can be converted I'll snarf a few and see if I can pass them around if anyones interested. If not, I'll pass on them. Some are 480 3 phase so I doubt they'd be much good on residential service but there are a few that are single phase.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:12:47 AM »

Hi:

Would you have a schematic?

Most anything that deals with power can be useful for some part of a modulator.

Are you thinking of a solid state or tube modulator? What voltages and currents can this drive make?

Motor drives that are PWM are usually not switching at a very high rate, and may be a limitation for audio service.

Check out the Class-E forum link at the top of this web site.

Kinda need more info on these units to determine what to change or whether to steal parts for a modulator.

Dan
W1DAN
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:47:59 PM »

Convert the drives into $$$ using an online auction. Convert the $$$ back into something you can use directly.
Works for me.
Sorry but I'm dizzy from an overdose of lint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015