The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:44:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Solder  (Read 4751 times)
John Holotko

« on: October 22, 2006, 04:00:35 PM »

How does the new tin-antimony solder work ? I tried to melt some with a standard 30 watt pencil and it seemed harder to melt than regular lead/tin solder. Seems a 50+ watt iron is probably needed for easy working with the new tin stuff.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »

She needs a lotta heat...... buy a few #of yer favorite. this lead free crap is the begining... the next thing to go is amalgamm fillings because they have mercury in them.... 

Sn63Pb37 361/183   F/C

Sn96.5Ag3.5 430/221  F/C
  following is the Kesler website

http://www.kester.com/en-us/index.aspx                     gots lotta stuff thar

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »

I bought what I think is a lifetime of 60/40 tin/lead slobber but I'm wondering how it will behave if I come up against something that is not of the same formulation and how the 60/40 stuff will react. I'm wondering if I wasted money or not. I'm not to worried about the equipment that uses the typical formulation but what if come up against the new formulation.  On the other hand with the new formulation the equipment will probably be considered disposable with all the SMT stuff nowadays....

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »

I'd guess that the new stuff is somewhat  compatable as the new stuff has tin in it and so does the old... maybe adding the Pb keeps the  Sn growths  from forming..... klc

What? Me worry?
John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:22:27 PM »

She needs a lotta heat...... buy a few #of yer favorite. this lead free crap is the begining... the next thing to go is amalgamm fillings because they have mercury in them.... 

Sn63Pb37 361/183   F/C

Sn96.5Ag3.5 430/221  F/C

http://www.kester.com/en-us/index.aspx                     gots lotta stuff thar

Thanks. I prefer the regular lead solder  and I have several  rolls of it. But sooner or later I guess we're gonna encounter  more and more of the new stuff so I figure it's good to be ready. Thanks for the link.

With regards to the mercury-silver amalgam fillings a lot of dentists are already using some  non-amalgam fillings.  One thing that is really interesting is the use of bondings. They can match it to the color of your teeth, they cure it with UV light, it's tough, hard,  and lasts. Looks a lot  better,  particularly on front teeth.  where it'snot  even noticeable. 

NE4AM

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:31:40 AM »

The new tin-based solders require a higher temperature to melt, so there is the increased risk of lifting a trace if you are doing PCB work.  Further, they don't wet or flow as well, meaning you need to have very clean joints beforehand.  The appearance of the joint is grainy, so it is difficult to determine if you have cold joints.  Finally, tin solders spontaneously grow whiskers (like my aunt after her hysterectomy) which can result in short circuits.  The presence of lead in tin-lead solders prevents the growth of tin whiskers.  Tylenol and/or alcohol consumption among manufacturing engineers has gone UP dramatically as a result...

73 - Dave
w1guh
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »

Sn63Pb37 361/183   F/C

Sn96.5Ag3.5 430/221  F/C

Thanks. I prefer the regular lead solder  and I have several  rolls of it. But sooner or later I guess we're gonna encounter  more and more of the new stuff so I figure it's good to be ready. Thanks for the link.

With regards to the mercury-silver amalgam fillings a lot of dentists are already using some  non-amalgam fillings.  One thing that is really interesting is the use of bondings. They can match it to the color of your teeth, they cure it with UV light, it's tough, hard,  and lasts. Looks a lot  better,  particularly on front teeth.  where it'snot  even noticeable. 

You sure that's UV?  I was told it was just white light.  I love the "beep" when it's been on long enough.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »

I fixed one for my dentist (we jokingly call it the death ray) It is simply a very high output incandescent bulb at the end of a short fiber optic shaft.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 01:42:37 PM »

Sn63Pb37 361/183   F/C

Sn96.5Ag3.5 430/221  F/C

You sure that's UV?  I was told it was just white light.  I love the "beep" when it's been on long enough.

It's UV. The beep is a timing signal. Some may be ordinary white light. But the ones I've had used on me were UV.

n3lrx
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »

I bought about 5 rolls of the good Kester stuff at a hamfest a few years ago. I've always hated that politically correct crap.. If you're working with anything that requires low temp flash soldering forget it. You've got to use allot of heat and by the time you've gotten a good slober connection you've baked the part. It Sucks!!

Almost tempted to stock pile the good stuff and ebay it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015