The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:38:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM RADIO REStrucTURING  (Read 29567 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 03:30:46 PM »

Wow 3725 was my novice frequency. wonder if the rock still shakes
  Miy Novice rock was on 3721.5  Think that would be close enough?
I'm also wondering what our Canadian friends will be thinking about the American Invasion of their territory.  How 'bout it, Ed?   vH 

Current  Canadian usage of 3720 - 3755:

3715: occasional Quebec stations SSB
3725: +/- AM phone  Calling/QSO's
3730 Ottawa SSB gang  most nights.
3733 - 3735: Ontario SSB stations   most nights
3737.5:  Ontario gang, ex-"Sanderson Hour Net".  Most nights.
3740:  Quebec stations.  most nights.
3745 - 3750: assorted SSB QSO's
3755: ONTARS Net 5 - 7:30 PM nightly.
3755: Ontario Swap Shop net Sundays nights 7 PM - 9 PM. (Very good net, BTW)

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
ve6pg

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 03:54:28 PM »

...AS WELL ED,THERE ARE GUYS ON LSB AT 3680,AND RECENTLY 3617...AND OUR EAST COAST AM GUYS ON 3730,3735....TIM....SK...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »

Well, if this is done How will anyone know that we took a 13 wpm code test?Huh    klc

1) You will know.

2) You could always tell them.

3) Operate on CW and prove it.

4) Like me, realize that nobody really cares I passed 20 wpm 34 years ago and forget about it... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »

20 WPM was the hardest part so it still feels good I got there.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 04:55:41 PM »

I can see this extra 100kc phone enhancement as a great reason to upgrade to Extra.
T

Well, if this is done How will anyone know that we took a 13 wpm code test?Huh    klc

I finally took my Extra test in 2000 just a month before they dumbed down the code requirement.  But I have kept my CSCE (certificate signed by three examiners that I passed the 20 wpm code test).  I have it in a frame!  Also one of the callbook-like web sites (wm7d.net) includes your last class of license.  Mine says ADVANCED.  It's also on the FCC ULS Ham call site (you can find that through Buckmaster).

Or like JJ says, just realize that nobody really gives a rat's Tuchis  Grin

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

.... just realize that nobody really gives a rat's Tuchis  Grin
vH
Grin Grin Grin
As we get older Herb, I suppose our real worry will be, "will anyone even remember us 34 years from now?"  Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »

...AS WELL ED,THERE ARE GUYS ON LSB AT 3680,AND RECENTLY 3617...AND OUR EAST COAST AM GUYS ON 3730,3735....TIM....SK... 

Thanks, Tim. My shorty antenna is so bad, I can't always hear the East Coast guys.   I'm amazed that there are LSB stations at 3680 and 3617!    Prolly trying to work the Europeans.

WA3VJB
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »

Ed want to try a sked somewhere? 
Supposed to be clear and cold acr much of the continent this weekend.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 07:55:14 PM »

Cool! Let's start a NET!!!  Cheesy
[/quote)

It could be an OASIS!! Grin  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2uHyFq1t0   

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »

That's some funny stuff.  I like when he says "watch and learn", keys up and sings Johnny Cash. When no one responds, he asks for a radio check.. HA!

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 08:11:42 PM »

I hear the train a'coming'.....

Look at the rigs in this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_41bynwlsU&mode=related&search=

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzlsCGadU4&mode=related&search=
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 08:32:29 PM »

As I was driving home, "competitively" as I call it (never aggressively), looking to make headway, I saw the vacant HOV-2 lane and it dawned on me --

Make the expanded phone band segments CONTEST FREE ZONES  !!!

That
would drain a lot oif poison off those particular weekends, eh ?

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 08:56:53 PM »

Paul, you are twisted, completely sick.  Ralph Spoilsport.

I love it.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »

Steve/ WB3HUZ sez:  "Look at the rigs in this one!"

They sound like the Derb when he does his BJB thang.  Amazing the way the cameras get overloaded and the distorted audio bleeds in.  Man O' man.

T

kf6pqt

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 09:03:54 PM »

Ok, pardon me for being from the cultural backwater that is California... WTF am I looking at here?  I looked at  the "davemade" guy's website once, he had a suburban with like 6 alternators to power his "leenyer," but WTF is this, some sorta contest??? how does it work? I'm just trying to fathom the redneck mentality! Arent all those dudes who stand in between the 'burbans sterilized from all the RF? not that thats a bad thing, considering.... So, its like drag racing, but with CB's? Dude...

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »

Hey!

How about some of us Yanks join the VEs on 3725 some evening? The day it's legal to get on  there.

See how it works out and discuss a US AM window in the expanded band.

Might be fun.

Ed! Be there!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »

So, its like drag racing, but with CB's?

It's called a Shootout. Two vehicles sit side by side and take turns transmitting. Another vehicle sits some distance away and receives and notes which of the two transmitting stations is the strongest.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 09:53:38 PM »

As I was driving home, "competitively" as I call it (never aggressively), looking to make headway, I saw the vacant HOV-2 lane and it dawned on me --

Is that called "offensive driving?"  Cheesy

Make the expanded phone band segments CONTEST FREE ZONES  !!!

Now THAT is a GREAT thought!!! Smiley

Question is....who to call to get them to sneak that in the right docs?

That
would drain a lot oif poison off those particular weekends, eh ?

Not that I mind contests..........
It's just the seemingly large number of inconsiderate PR***S who are bent on proving they can fill the yellow bucket quicker and from further away..........
And just like lots of nets.....they of course have more right to a frequency, because they are doing something important Roll Eyes

(disclaimer... obviously I'm not dumping on ALL nets, or ALL contesters.... just the "weakest-links")

wa2zdy
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:45 PM »

I have just briefly skimmed the R & O, so I am not sure if it means that 3600-3700 is restricted to Extra class for all modes, or just that Extras can now use phone in the segment.  How this will affect non-voice licence class restrictions is not entirely clear:
12. Regarding the division among license classes of the spectrum on which we today
authorize phone emissions, we adopt the Commission’s proposal to authorize stations of General
Class licensees to transmit voice emissions in the 3800-4000 kHz frequency segment, thereby
increasing by 50 kHz the spectrum for voice communications by these stations. Because we
have decided to authorize more 75 m spectrum for voice communications than was proposed in
the NPRM, we also authorize stations of Advanced Class licensees to transmit voice emissions in
the 3700-4000 kHz frequency segment, thereby increasing by 75 kHz the amount of spectrum for voice communications by these stations. We also authorize stations of Amateur Extra Class
licensees to transmit voice emissions in the 3600-4000 kHz frequency segment, thereby
increasing by 150 kHz the spectrum authorized to these stations for voice communications. In
the 40 m and 15 m bands, we adopt the Commission’s proposal to authorize stations of Amateur Extra and Advanced Class licensees 7125-7300 kHz, stations of General Class licensees 7175-7300 kHz, and stations of General Class licensees 21275-21450 kHz for phone
communications.

If Generals and above can still use 3600-3700 for non-voice modes, expect digital modes to continue to operate in this segment.  I suspect that may be the reason such a big hunk was set aside for Extras - to limit phone activity in that region of the band so that some of the digital stuff can continue on those frequencies.

They want to simplify the ham bands.  To have a subband that is open to different license classes for different modes just doesn't add up.   They've never done that before, I don't see that being their intent now.   Besides, that wouldn't be consistent with the stated objective of more space for phone.

I imagine this will be clarified during the 30 day wait.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »

Ed want to try a sked somewhere? 
Supposed to be clear and cold acr much of the continent this weekend.
We could try, Paul, but my  current antenna is no good.  It's only a 15' remnant of my old End-Fed Zepp, only 15' off the ground.    It's piss poor.  I've got my new ant hanging off the tower, waiting to be deployed.  133 foot dipole, fed with balanced line. Just waiting  to find the time to drop the ends, and the bal. line and hook everything up. I expect to have it operational within 2 weeks.  The center point is at  50 feet; it should strap.

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »

As their nads shrank and eyeballs cooked like egg yolks.......... Shocked

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Herb K2VH

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2006, 09:29:17 AM »

As we get older Herb, I suppose our real worry will be, "will anyone even remember us 34 years from now?"  Shocked

T

Tom,

They sure remember '2OY 39 years after he's gone.   I still hear people bitchin' about him on and off of the ham bands.  Mike would be proud!  Grin

vH

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1QWT

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2006, 09:46:16 AM »

I hear the train a'coming'.....
Look at the rigs in this one!

No rigs in mine but I like my Folsum Prison version better cause its got 'Wah Wah'
Next week I am gonna learn the second verse which isn't the same as the first!

http://home.comcast.net/~w1qwt/music.html

I am looking forward to the wide open spaces. Should be law by XMAS
Wonder what they will do with CW?

Q from the band 'Roadsteamers' aka W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2006, 03:19:53 PM »

ARRL seeking guidance for a revised band plan based on the restructuring going into effect probably next month.

See post in ARRL Forum Section:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=8726.0

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Herb K2VH

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »

I'm now reading about new AM windows and revised band plans.  That makes me shudder.  We have presently what some call the "ghetto" between 3880 and 3890 (some think it extends down to 3870, but there's plenty of slop bucket down there -- in the East, at least).  And of course, there's the high end of 40 (where the Southwest no-traffic net operates), and 14286 where we have to fight for one frequency. 

Everybody's been jumping up and down about extending phone into the so-called cw bands, and some even hope that eventually we'll be like the rest of the world, with no restriction by mode, and can operate phone throughout the bands.

So, why the hell are some people talking about new band plans and AM windows?  It's just a re-duplication of what we have now, which everybody complains about.  When there is a so-called window, the slop buckets tell us to go back where we belong if we happen to wander out of it.  $h*t!  I belong anywhere my license says I belong.  Isn't that what we've been working for--to extend our operating space?

I have no intention of proposing a new band plan to ARRL or anybody else.  I will operate wherever I can legally, and hope others will too.  All this segregation is a great part of our present problems.  It's like the USA prior to the Civil RIghts Act of 1964.  Let's not create a new "back of the bus" for second-class citizens (i.e., AMers) to ride in.  That mentality went out in the mid 60s.  There will be plenty of room for all now, and things will just fall into place naturally without official segregation by mode.  We do not need some official or unofficial body telling us where we can operate after we've just been given more space within which to do it!  Ride up in the front of the bus, and ride up there proudly!  It's your right.

vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015