The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 09:04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packard 440 Wire  (Read 3842 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: October 12, 2006, 05:17:26 PM »

Anyone know where I can buy some Packard 440 wire/cable or something equivalent?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

Bob,
I bought my last spool at NAPA. It had a Beldon part number though. Came in a 25 foot spool. How much do you need? Speed parts stores may still sell solid core wire and even with high temp insulation.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »

You should be able to buy this at any older auto parts store that has been in business for many years and still keeps an inventory of old aftermarket parts. There are several of this kind of auto parts store here on Long Island; probably the ones in business since the 1960s or earlier would yield the best chance of having this cable on hand. Last time I checked locally on price and availablility (last year), Packard 440 HV wire (also sold under the Prestolite brand), was going for about $60.00 per 100' reel.

I bought a 100' reel at a vintage auto parts flea market about 3 years ago (the Prestolite brand) for $15.00. The guy selling it had several reels; I should have bought them all!

BTW, Panduit makes some great crimp-on lugs for this stuff, just like the ones used in the older BC rigs. I used them when I wired the HV sections in my 2X 4-400A rig with the 440 wire. The issue here is the lug has to accept the large O.D. insulation, and the relatively small gauge conductor.

Good luck.  The cable should'nt be tough to find.

Bruce, W2XR

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015