The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.750-3.775  (Read 3315 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: September 19, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »

Some one mentioned operation on this portion of the 80 meter band to possibly work European stations on AM in another thread.  I started thinking about the world below 3.8 and have been listening down there for the past 30 minutes.

I have heard groups every 3 kc or so all the way to 3.755 kc.  Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would bet we could really start a war if some of us moved down there.  It is like listening to 160 meters, no adjacent signals to interfer like the 3.878 and 3.890 group. 

Thus far, I have heard 5s, 4s, 9s and 8s in the past 30 minutes.  There are some groupls that I have not heard ID so I can't say anything about 6s, 7s, or 0s.  The band is not in good enough condition to tell about the NE corridor.

I am thinking about setting up shop down there with some folks this winter in hopes of establishing a presence, but am not sure.  I do know that it would be a good place this winter for operation between either coast to the middle of the country or coast to coast.  The DX window is 3.790 to 3.800, which I will avoid.

Granted this will preclude operators that do not have the Advanced if I go to 3.775 or Extra below that.  Considering the conditions that are coming in the months ahead, it might just be delightful.
W1IA

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »

A few of us have had chats with PE3MPH (Henk) and others from EU on 3775 running split on 3885..it tends to be a bit of a groin pull to run A.M. at that portion of the band. We have coordinated these contacts through the internet with our friends in Europe. Worth a look though Jim.

73 Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:23:31 PM »

I have heard groups every 3 kc or so all the way to 3.755 kc.  Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would bet we could really start a war if some of us moved down there.

The day all the slopbuckets agree to stay off the AM Window frequencies, I'll agree not to operate down there, even when those frequencies are unoccupied.

In the dead of winter, under good band condx, after about 0400 GMT, I often hear vacant spots 6 kHz wide or more, between 3750 and 3790.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »

If propogation is good this winter, I plan to make some calls down in that part.  Guess I better look for a 5 KW broadcash.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:23:44 AM »

If there's a regular group somewhere in the vicinity, just zero beat, check in and hang out with them a while. Next thing you know, they'll be switching over to "test" how things sound on AM and it's all cordial and pleasant.
wa2zdy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »

Used to do that all the time when I got my first phone rig - an Apache.  Didn't have money for an SSB rig but I knew how to tune myself in.  Most slopbucketeers never knew I was on AM.  Most who did figure it out were pleasant.  Of course times were different, it was 1977.  But I guess it would have been tough for them to get uppity after having worked me for a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015