The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 9983 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »

Slab,

Roger-4 on pulling the plug to avoid a mess. Makes a lot of sense. I even make a mess pulling the oil filter when doing an oil change!

Yeah, one mechanic told me not to bother with the rear end too, though the anal-Chrysler manual says to change it every 30K or so. But then, they have a service organization to $$ pump up and also have nothing to lose with new oil in there...

BTW, I'm slowly working on stuff a little each day to get back on the air. Right now I'm spending most time outside racing with the WX to finish up - after that it will be inside. Really, all I have left inside is to build the FET/cathode audio drivers for the 4X1/833A's and the 813X 813's rigs and I'm black on. All ants are finished for 160-40M.  The 4X1 class C  plate modulated rig is finished, RF-wise.  Under plexiglass, totally exposed in it's glowing glory, caw mawn.  It's name is Fabio cuz it's so pretty.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »

Tom,
some newer trucks use light and I mean light rear end fluid. I just topped my light fluid off with real 90 weight dino crap smell gear oil.
Posi fluid is a different deal though as Frank said.
If you need to replace oil you need to replace parts. Some rear ends have a magnet to collect metal dust.

I bet a trannis filter that is clogged need clutches and a pump job general rebuild.
The best way to make an auto last is to let up on the gas a bit during upshifts so the clutches grab lower torque. 
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

Frank,
I had a bout with carpenter ants early this summer.  Got rid of them with two substances.  First I studied where they were coming from and found the trails.  Sprayed the area with Ortho ant and termite stuff to really stink it up and poison the critters.  Then spread a baited diatimaceous earth powder at certain boundaries where the ants were crossing. In two days all ant activity around the house stopped and I've been ant free since.  I spray the foundation too for other things as well.  I'm aracniphobic.  Can't stand those wood spiders.  Most important is to not let the scouts go back to their nest.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »

I heard that earth powder works well. My cat takes good care of the scouts.
She eats them. There seems to be a lot fewer ants this year compared to when the building first went up. I spread a little calk on the only way in every few months. I have one small spot near the basement door trim. I'll take care of that one when I change from wood to plastic trim.  I put fire seal in all the holes in the wall sills where wiring goes through. This eliminates the path upstairs.  Now that the sheet rock is going up I need to stay on top of the ants because I won't see them any more.
I want to get that bait that they take home to momma.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015