The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:03:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPL in the news  (Read 2853 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: September 09, 2006, 06:08:27 AM »

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/news/2006.09.06-n_BPL.shtml

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »

One positive aspect of that report is that it immediately mentions broadcast and other services, including TV reception, and not just amateur radio.  Therefore it doesn't leave the impression to the ignorant public that the only opposition to BPL is from a bunch of nerdy "ham radio" kooks who want to deny the benefits of high speed internet to the public at large in order to protect the "hobby" of one small special interest group.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:54:26 PM »

The other thing too that I thought was good about the article was how it stress radio amateurs weren't against BPL but just the potential for interference.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:23:10 AM »

The FCC is contradicting itself in as far as their  ruling goes. On one hand they want BPL and they insist that  BPL  muct move forward. At the same time they don;t want interference. They want their cake and they want to eat it too.  The very nature of the laws of physics dictates that when you pass that kind of carrier  current  over long unshielded wires slung high in the air they radiate, and they make quite effective antennas.  You can  mitigate it but mitigation by notching onlymeans the problem may be solved  in one part. Move elsewhere  on the spectrum and it's back. The only true mitigation is to turn the BPL off but then you no longer  have BPL.  You still have your  cake but you  can't eat it   So, how can the FCC advocate something if every high school and college physics textbook will explain that the laws of physics don't allow it.  Heck, I'd love  to be able  to put an object  down by having it stay  suspended in midair where I last lef tt but the laws of  physics don'tallow me to do that.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »

John said:
The FCC is contradicting itself in as far as their  ruling goes. On one hand they want BPL and they insist that  BPL  muct move forward. At the same time they don;t want interference. They want their cake and they want to eat it too.  The very nature of the laws of physics dictates that when you pass that kind of carrier  current  over long unshielded wires slung high in the air they radiate, and they make quite effective antennas.

That occurs when you have politicians, (or wantabe politicians) legislating the laws of physics. I think the technical side of the FCC realizes that this system is crap, (in the current state). But the bean counters and 'YES!' persons who run the business of the FCC, see many $$$ to be gleaned from a system like this. Look at it this way, how many different pieces of equipment would have to get type acceptance? What is the potential of fines being collected? How much money do I stand to get 'kicked-back' to me should I promote brand X's sytem over brand Y? The paramutations are endless.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015