The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:31:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock N Roll on Shortwave  (Read 5612 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: September 08, 2006, 09:32:15 AM »

For What It's Worth department

Fred Flintstone is back on the air on WBCQ 7415 THurs 6-7 PM

Good sounds out of the MW-50

Fred KC4MOP
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »

SWBC hasn't been the same since WRNO stopped playing rock n roll years ago.  So maybe Fred, or whoever it really is, will be worth a listen.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »

Hi Chris,
It's Fred MOP radio playing heavy rock on a nice sounding transmitter. I hope there's prop down your way. Hook up the "big speaker"

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:18:40 AM »

SWBC hasn't been the same since WRNO stopped playing rock n roll years ago.  So maybe Fred, or whoever it really is, will be worth a listen.

I remember them. WRNO used to kick butt and take names!! Good music and STRAPPING SIGNAL into Baltimore!
I often wondered what ever happened to them. If I remember correctly they were out of New Orleans.

There was another station out of the midwest KUSA or KUSW or something like that. I believe they're gone too.

One night many years ago. I was listening around in the 41m sw band anf found a station playing some kick-butt blues. I listened to about an hour of continuous music including much Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon stuff. When they finally id'd, I almost szht! It was radio Moscow!! SWLing was fun back then!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »

Radio Moscow, really ?
The 50 cy hum should have given it away.
A half hour's worth of blues, must have been when Andropov dropped off.
Don't they play somber music when head of state croaks?
They did with Breshnev, but it wasn't Muddy Waters.

Maybe it was the Buggles.

http://amfone.net/audio/RadioMos.WAV
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 12:58:45 PM »

Radio Moscow, really ?
The 50 cy hum should have given it away.
A half hour's worth of blues, must have been when Andropov dropped off.
Don't they play somber music when head of state croaks?
They did with Breshnev, but it wasn't Muddy Waters.

Maybe it was the Buggles.

http://amfone.net/audio/RadioMos.WAV

Might have been one of Radio Moscow's relays out of Cuba...Then it would be 60 HZ hum, and lots of it!

American jazz and blues have always been hugely popular across the pond.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »

Hi all:

I am working on an article on WRNO Worldwide for Popular Communications magazine. The new owners are a religous group out of Fort Worth, Texas. They will be coming on the air "soon" with a 50kw signal (the original signal was 100kw).

I went to the transmitter site in in New Orleans in July and took pix of the antenna.

I do not think there will be rock and roll, unless someone buys time and plays records like WBCQ.

Dan
W1DAN
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 02:04:03 PM »

The guy who started WRNO died several years ago.  Don't know if WRNO was still broadcasting then or not.  But they did break new ground by successfully challenging the FCC's freeze on licensing private SW broadcast stations.  As I recall, he took it to court and the court ruled there was no provision in the law that gave the FCC the authority to deny private persons or companies licences to the shortwave BC bands.  Otherwise, there would be no WBCQ today.

Nevertheless, the SWBC bands are rather boring these days.  The BBC, Radio Moscow, Radio Canada, Radio France International, HCJB, VOA, AFRTS and Radio Australia are pretty much gone from the air now.  The remaining English speaking stations are mostly two-bit bible beaters like Brother Stair and his ilk.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »

"Maybe it was the Buggles."  --   No, I'm sure that it was the Ruttles.

One of the Enginerees of WRNO was the Man Shows' "midget"...

The other station I remember was out of Salt Lake City.  Almost sure it was  KUSW...  One night the Female DJ rcvd a sig report from  Regina, Saskatchewan. She was afraid to say the name over the air....

I miss A Farts..  with them we didnt need no stinkin CNN...      klc

What? Me worry?
W3LSN

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 04:49:20 PM »

I also remember WRNO World-Wide, but KUSW in Salt Lake City I thought had better programming. Both stations fell victim to economics and were basically run as hobbies by their owners. Both just could not make enough revenue to keep the filaments burning on their rigs.

In the case of KUSW it was sold around 1990 to the Trinity Broadcasting Network and quickly found religion. The air staff, lacking ordinations, was let go. A reliable source told me that the head of Trinity flew into SLC on the corporate jet and personally made a bonfire of the KUSW music library.

73, Jim
WA2AJM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015