The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:20:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Can We Add/Run RSS Here?  (Read 2501 times)
W1UJR
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »

It would sure make keeping up with the messages simpler.
Maybe I'm getting old, or lazy, or both, but its becoming a chore to keep up with all the traffic here.

What say you?

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html

-Bruce
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:08:40 AM »

Keeping up with traffic is as easy as 1 2 3.

1) Log on to site

2) Use the link on top "Show unread posts since last visit." and select the threads you are interested in.

3) Read your threads and then use the "Mark as read" function and leave. This function can be used for an entire forum or individual post. I recommend marking ALL posts read when done so the next visit will give you only the new stuff. 

This how the admins and moderators keep up with things. Takes less that a few minutes.

Now concerning the RSS/XML the answer is yes. .

Let me ask this, What were your thoughts on how this would work , meaning what info are you looking for via RSS/XML.

Do you have an RSS reader and which format , RSS or RSS2?

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »

Keeping up with traffic is as easy as 1 2 3.
Let me ask this, What were your thoughts on how this would work , meaning what info are you looking for via RSS/XML.

Do you have an RSS reader and which format , RSS or RSS2?

G

Hey Gary,
I did not know that you could do that, ie the unread post thing, excellent tip, and will try it for a few days.
Seems like I had done that in the past, but did not fully understand its function.

I have a Mac now, and currently use RSS.
What gave me the idea to suggest is RSS is that I use that for reading the BBC website rather than having to go to each secton, News, Tech, Science, and open to read.
I found it rather slick, but I am familar with what it takes to implement such.
I know that you and the rest of the admins have your hands full here, so if I'm the only one to show interest, it prob not worth your time.
However, I suspect that a lot of the folks don't know what RSS is, and may be interested if informed.

I find AM Fone such an excellent site, always so chock full info, that it takes longer and longer to read.
On one hand this is a good thing, on the other, I find don't log on to read as much having to sort through the posts.

The way I sould see it working is that new posts would be tagged with a RSS feed, and one could chose to "subscribe" and read those automatically. Or each section, QSO, eBay, etc. could have a RSS tag showing the topics, then a user could read and subscribe. I beleive either way would work.

Tnx - Bruce

N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »

I'm not sure if I follow what you're trying to do, Bruce.  It sounds like what you want is already incorporated ino the forum's software.  You need to access your personal settings.  From there, you can tag topics or sections of your choice that can even automatically e-mail you when a new reply has been posted.  You will notice there are clickable links at the top of the page that allow you to "show unread posts since last visit", or  "show new replies to your posts".  Each time I visit the board, the first thing I do is click on show unread posts since last visit.  After reading each post, simply mark them as read.  Hope this was helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015