The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AOL 9.0 Considered "Badware"  (Read 2249 times)
John Holotko

« on: August 29, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »

Heads up to any AOL users out there. be wary of the latest AOL version 9.0. It appearently does a few things that may be undesireable.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060828-7606.html

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »

What about lining the bottom of bird cages?
kd5cpl
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:45:28 PM »

Hi--

I tried AOL once, about two computers ago. Besides its habit of modifying other programs and installing things they didn't tell you about, it is hard to get rid of after you've had enough of them. Ditto for their preferred method of payment, the automatic bank draft. I bet they've made millions from drafts drawn AFTER a user has cancelled. I had to call in three times to finally get mine cancelled; and that time I got enough info from the supervisor to be able to prove that the conversation had taken place. Later heard they got spanked for their payment practices.

Use their "free" cd's for coasters, shotgun targets, hubcaps for lawn mowers, or whatever other crazy use you can dream up--just keep them out of the E drive!

73, Gary
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »

I used AOL for a short time many years ago. Service was very poor. My incoming and outgoing emails were frequently lost, the service would often go down, and I could never dial in between 5:00pm to 11:00pm. During those hours I would get a busy signal no matter which access number I used. To put it mildly the service totally sucked.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

I used AOL for a short time many years ago. Service was very poor. My incoming and outgoing emails were frequently lost, the service would often go down, and I could never dial in between 5:00pm to 11:00pm. During those hours I would get a busy signal no matter which access number I used. To put it mildly the service totally sucked.

Yeah, way back when...   I tried them all.  Prodigy, Compuserve, AHole and a few others I can't remember. At the time Prodigy seemed to suit me the best.  Compuserve was expensive. AOL I ran into the same problems you described as for the others I can't remember.  Then easy access to the  i'net and WWW kicked off and it was independance day. Haven't looked back since. And thank the i'net gods for affordable broadband

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015