The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair Radio getting into the audiophool market?  (Read 4394 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 28, 2006, 11:09:24 PM »

I just got my Fair Radio catalogue in the mail today.  Pretty much the normal stuff, except I noticed on page 2 "Power Amp Kit sale."

"Stereo tube amplifier/chrome version" for that sublime "tube sound."  90 watts per channel, but tube types not  listed. "Drop shipped from Texas." List Price $2100.  "our price" $1299.94.

There is another one, 65 watts mono rms power, 4  KT88's, List price $1499.90, sale price $954.94.

And finally, a 'module' kit with 4 EL34's in "pushpull combination."  List $799.90, sale price $517.94.

These kits appear to use tubes-on-circuit-board technology - about the worst possible combination.  Remember the old Yaesu "FTDX" rigs?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB3JOK

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:23:29 PM »

I just got my Fair Radio catalogue in the mail today.
Me too... still can't get used to the address change (for 30 years I had 1016 E. Eureka memorized)  Grin

These kits appear to use tubes-on-circuit-board technology - about the worst possible combination.  Remember the old Yaesu "FTDX" rigs?
Or just about every Heathkit made in the 60's? Cool
-Charles
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:39:08 PM »

I like the mirror like finish that improves the heat radiation into the tubes.....   klc

What? Me worry?
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:20:50 AM »

You mean those jobs where they had those pissant PC mount tube sockets soldered right to the PC board ? I hated those things.  During  my early teen years I inherited both a Webcor reel to reel tape recorder and an old RCA tube type portable black & white tv set. Both of them were a pain in the ass. I was constantly fixing them. In addition to a plethora of problems I frequently had problems with the solder tab  connections of the tube sockets to the PC board cracking or working loose when tubes were pulled out and pushed in. The TV set in particular was so bad that most of the time I ran it with the back removed because it was all to common I'd have to do something inside the set to get it running. Not to mention the cabinet was so tight and cramped that it got extremely hot in there and the outside of the cabinet got so hot that plastic or wax would  melt on top of it. So keeping the back off the thing served 2 purpose.  It gave the set some much needed ventilation and, gave me easy access for quick repairs.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:22:04 AM »

I wonder if this is the same guy in Texas who was peddling those bogus "Globe King" homebrew transmitters a few years ago.

Once the stink spread about THOSE rigs I didn't hear much more about them.

For those who missed it, the fellow cobbled together a bunch of parts, provided no schematic, and palmed them off as a remake of the WRL product of the same name. There was no production line, each example was ah, unique in its componentry, and they got built only after receipt of a hefty deposit. Delivery times were prolonged, and damage in shipping was typical according to two hams who bought these units.

One of those transmitters went to a gentleman who essentially took the parts and started from scratch to give  his client the transmitter he had hoped to purchase at the outset.

That review is here:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3672

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 07:36:04 PM »

I got my catalog yesterday, I saw those amps. Before I saw the price I thought
gee, that might make a good separate driver for my pair of 833's modulating a 304tl.
then I saw the price, and said WTF ? ? spread enuf bait on enuf fishing lines and
someone will bite!

am forever!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:01 AM »

yea Dean suckers will bite
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:24 AM »

Eww. Not impressed by the look or the price on those audio amps.
Got my catalog yesterday.
Several items in there are "drop shipped" from Texas, guess they've worked a deal to use Fair as a distributor.

Missing:
T368 or any parts support
R390 or any parts support
ART13 or any parts support

Sigh, those days done gone.

But those solar panels for $29 are a deal, I'm ordering two today. Put them on the dashboard in the winter & keep the battery topped off. 150ma or so, no overcharge risk.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »

there are a few art 13 parts still in the cat ( got last week)...  plate meter, xtal cal subassembly and the famous U6 , U7 and U8, all  overpriced to not sell . I emailed a query for a controll cable (or connectors) for the remote a while back. They want $125 for a cable w/ the connectors.  I wonder how long it will rot there as I'm to cheep to buy it .... ..  gone are the "low" prices of yestetdecade...     ANYONE have the autotune crank for sale or lending?Huh   klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »

I wonder if they are the VELLEMAN kits? Do they have toroid transformers for power and outpoot?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 04:38:04 PM »

But those solar panels for $29 are a deal, I'm ordering two today. Put them on the dashboard in the winter & keep the battery topped off. 150ma or so, no overcharge risk.

Paul,
I wish I had I known you were interested in solar panels I would have let you know about the good deal Northern Tool and Equipment was having on solar panels this summer.  They were selling 15watt panels for $60.  I sucked up 4 of them recently.  Nicely made and each put out nearly 1 amp in full sunlight.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:47:42 PM »

I wonder why I never get a catalog from them. I've bought from them in the past.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015