The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Threat to 6M  (Read 4100 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: August 12, 2006, 04:15:18 PM »

Note from Moderator:  This topic was split as a stand-alone and retitled by myself as ]ARRL Threat to 6M after its original appearance within an unrelated thread in this category -- Paul/VJB

Poster's original text follows:

Not to rock the boat but I just read the Committee Report for the HighSpeed Multimedia (HSMM) group that was presented at the latest BoD meeting.
Snippets include:

"We have been granted an FCC Experimental License (WC9XLP) to conduct HSMM experiments on the 6M Band.  We are using off-set frequency division multiplexed (OFDM) modulation with up to 200 kHz bandwidth signals.

If this system proves successful, the ARRL may petition the FCC for use of up to 200 kHz bandwidth in the VHF amateur band. The current petition for “regulation by bandwidth” requests 100 kHz maximum bandwidths on the VHF bands.

Current regulations limit bandwidths to 20 kHz on VHF amateur bands so testing is authorized under an FCC Special Temporary Authority (STA) that is effective until September 10, 2006. It authorizes emissions with a bandwidth up to 200 kHz in the band 50.3-50.8 MHz. This frequency range is consistent with both ARRL national voluntary band plans and applicable local band plans in the Fresno, California area where testing will be done. Specifically, in those band plans, the segment 50.3-50.6 MHz is designated for “all modes” and the segment 50.6-50.8 MHz is designated for “nonvoice communications.” The STA authorizes 1.5 kW peak, a 200 kHz maximum bandwidth and 384 kbps maximum data rate."

And who's on the Working Group Member's List among others:
Carl Stevenson, WK3C

I guess there was no regard for the AM Calling Frequency of 50.4 MHz during this testing period. At least, as far as I can tell, this testing is being done today in CA. Tomorrow, who knows. A real AM friendly kind of guy.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:23:38 PM »

Not to rock the boat but I just read the Committee Report for the HighSpeed Multimedia (HSMM) group that was presented at the latest BoD meeting.
Snippets include:

"We have been granted an FCC Experimental License (WC9XLP) to conduct HSMM experiments on the 6M Band.  We are using off-set frequency division multiplexed (OFDM) modulation with up to 200 kHz bandwidth signals.

And we get sh!t bacause of a 6 KHz AM bandwidth?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:32:43 PM »

According to their current band plan for 50 to 51 MHz:
50.0-50.1   CW, beacons
50.060-50.080   beacon subband
50.1-50.3   SSB, CW
50.10-50.125   DX window
50.125   SSB calling
50.3-50.6   All modes
50.6-50.8   Nonvoice communications
50.62   Digital (packet) calling
50.8-51.0   Radio remote control (20-kHz channels)

It would seem to me, it a station was using this HSMM with a 200 KHz bandwidth (+/- 100 KHz), the closest center frequency they could use is 50.4 MHz. Anthing less than that violates their current band plan. If this HSMM can run at something less than 200 KHz bandwidth, then they can creep closer to 50.3 MHz but not go below it or it will "violate" the current published band plan. But, but, didn't we read somewhere that all band plans are under review by some unnamed task force in anticipation of the "proposed coming of the FCC's new deal".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015