The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:01:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Future 40 Meter Issues  (Read 3086 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: August 09, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »

Read this on the Canadian RAC web site:

If you recall, back in 2003, after a lot of work by the IARU, there was a ruling from the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) to remove broadcast stations from 7100 to 7200 kHz beginning in 2009, and to allow amateurs in those countries to increase the size of their 40 meter band from 100 kHz to 200 kHz.

Now it sounds like a number of these countries that bought into this proposal are doing an about-face.

For the rest of the info, go here:
http://www.rac.ca/~darf/40metre.htm

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:35:08 PM »

INTERESTING READING PETE...BUT I CAN TELL YOU,RAC HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING I APPROVE OF...I WAS A MEMBER,BUT WHEN THEY SOLD OUT AMATEUR RADIO IN CANADA TO "DIPOLE IN A BAG" HAMS,I LEFT.....THE NEXT THING THEY WILL APPROACH INDUSTRY CANADA WITH,IS REDUCING OUR FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS,AND OUTPUT POWER LIMITS....I LIKE IT THE WAY IT WAS...AND IN SOME WAYS,STILL IS...1KW AM,NO RESTRICTIONS ON MODES,OR SILLY THINGS LIKE ALLOCATIONS WITHIN THE HAM BANDS...WHERE EVER MY VFO STOPS,I CAN CALL CQ...REGARDLESS OF MODE...WE DONT HAVE "CW PORTIONS",OR "DIGITAL PORTIONS" HERE...I HOPE IT STAYS LIKE THIS...TIM....SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:15:43 PM »

My intent was to highlight what might be happening at WRC-2007 which also affects us here in the U. S. I also read somewhere that some foreign broadcasters, not only don't want to leave the 40 meter band area but they're also looking for an additional slice of spectrum between the 6.9-7.5 MHz area.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »

All this at the same time that BPL is trying to take a foothold, and wipe out much of the HF spectrum Huh
vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

Like anything else radio frequency spectrum is becoming more and more of a precious commodity.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »

As if the fixed services really need this spectrum.  10-20 years ago, the space around 40m was full of non-amateur dittely signals, other unidentified emissions types, cw, ssb and even AM.  Now, except for "outband" broadcasters, this part of the spectrum is practically deserted.  Same for the 60-metre allocation that suddenly became vital to "national security."  Even when propagation is booming, tune between 6800-7000 any you will most likely hear QRN and an occasional pirate broadcaster.

I suspect the fixed service users are a lot like those slopbucket groups on 75 that "own" certain frequencies, and monitor 24/7 but rarely transmit except when someone else threatens to use their private channel,  then they immediately jump on the frequency to announce that the "frequency is in use." 

In Region 2 (the Americas) the band 7000 to 7300 kHz is allocated to the Amateur and Amateur Satellite services on a primary basis. Until 1938, this was a worldwide allocation.

Beginning in 1938 and at successive World Radio Conferences, the upper portion of the band has been gradually transferred to the HF Broadcasting service in Regions 1 and 3 (the rest of the world), so that since 1979, only the band 7000 to 7100 kHz has been available for Amateur use worldwide.

This got its start in Spain during the Spanish Civil War.  Franco's forces began bootlegging on this band with propaganda broadcasts, and loyalist forces followed suit.  This war on words triggered more and more interest in using this band for propaganda broadcasting in neighbouring countries at a time when all of Europe was on the verge of exploding into war, and the deal was clinched at the next WARC held sometime around 1938, in Cairo if I recall correctly.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015