The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:22:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning: Common guy wire mistake  (Read 13625 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 06, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »

When using Big Grip pre-forms to attach insulators to break up guy wires, there are two sets of paint marks to indicate where to begin to wrap the preformed ends.  You are supposed to use the 2nd set of marks for insulators. Unfortunately this information isn't widely disseminated or known to amateurs so a common mistake is to begin wrapping at the first set of paint marks.  Probably not a fatal error - but a mistake.

I committed that error when I replaced the insulators on the bottom set of guys on my tower, probably 8 or 10 years ago.  I recall a very sketchy set of written instructions including photos showing how to install the grips, but absolutely no mention of insulators or why there were two sets of paint marks. I would not have had a clue even to this day, if I hadn't run across the information while searching the web for a replacement climbing belt/harness and my inquiry about re-using Big Grips.

I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't prominently include this in the instructions that come with each order.  I'm not sure I received any paper instructions at all, and may have seen the sketchy information in the Rohn tower book or elsewhere.  This may explain the mysteriously broken insulator - the Big Grip puts too much pressure on the insulator if the first mark is used.

Incidentally, another mistake some amateurs are likely make is to use utility pole guy grips on guyed towers.  According to the manufacturer, who makes both types, the cheaper utility pole grips are not satisfactory for tower use, even though the physical appearance of the two types is nearly identical.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »

That's good info, Don.

Just by default I have always used the second mark for insulators becuz I found it very difficult to wrap it starting at the first mark. I sensed there was too much stress there and by chance did it correctly.

Same goes for the crimp-on type fastener guy rings. They must start a few inches up away from the insulator (there is a spec) or the insulator may crack.

As for the utility vs: tower guys grips... I wonder what the difference IS? I've always used the cheapest I could find at about $1.98 each from that Canadian company and could never see a physical difference between them and the ones from Texas Tower for $7 each.

Let me know if ya find out.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015