The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye, CRT  (Read 6054 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: August 07, 2006, 10:44:56 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/technology/07tube.html

Picture Tubes Are Fading Into the Past

Published: August 7, 2006

The bulky, squarish, heavy picture tube, the standard television technology for more than 60 years, is heading for the dustbin of history much faster than anyone expected.

This year, the number of TV models in the United States that use glass cathode-ray tubes to produce an image has been reduced sharply. By next year, even fewer C.R.T. televisions will be made, and fewer retailers will sell them.

“After the holidays, the days of picture-tube TV’s are gone,” said Geoff Shavey, the TV buyer for Costco. “One year from now, we will not sell picture-tube TV’s.”

Costco, a discount warehouse chain, , has already cut its picture-tube offerings to three models this year, from 10 in 2005.

Instead, Costco and other retailers are selling growing numbers of wide-screen plasma and liquid-crystal display flat-panel TV’s, which are more expensive than traditional TV’s. But prices for both types continue to drop: 42-inch plasma TV’s can be bought for less than $2,000, and the smallest flat-panel sets will soon be fairly close in price to their tube counterparts.

Mr. Shavey said that a 32-inch wide-screen L.C.D. television was available for $700 at his stores, within striking distance of a tube set of similar size. But he added, “The demand for picture-tube TV’s is far off from what it was one year ago.”

One reason is that flat-panel TV’s make a strong design statement, prompting women to want to swap their old sets for sleeker ones, said Mike Vitelli, a senior vice president at Best Buy.

“For the first time in history, women care about the TV that comes in the house,” Mr. Vitelli said. “Men are not just getting permission to buy a flat-screen TV — they’re getting directed to do so.” Soon, he said,

Consumer electronics companies also want out of the tube TV business, in part because profit margins have become so thin. The government has mandated that all TV’s eventually include a built-in digital tuner to receive over-the-air digital broadcasts, and while even picture-tube sets are being made compliant, manufacturers would rather switch to selling thin-panel TV’s, which can generate bigger profits.

“The end of picture-tube TV’s is accelerating faster than a lot of us expected,” said Randy Waynick, a senior vice president for Sony Electronics. The company, which offered 10 tube models two years ago, will pare that number to two next year, both of them wide screens. “Picture-tube TV sales reductions were far greater than forecast,” Mr. Waynick said.

Even if the profit margins were healthy, picture-tube TV’s would be ill-suited for a market that wants ever-larger screens. Picture-tube TV’s were once made as large as 40 inches corner to corner, but the units were the size of baby elephants, sometimes weighing hundreds of pounds and protruding several feet from the wall.

Panasonic is getting out of the picture-tube business altogether. A year ago, the company offered 30 picture-tube models in the United States; now it sells one, a 20-inch analog set. “This year will be the last year for Panasonic picture-tube TV’s,” said Andrew Nelkin, a Panasonic vice president.

Toshiba has cut its picture-tube models to 13 — from 35 last year — and expects the number in 2007 to be “significantly reduced,” said Scott Ramirez, a vice president of marketing. “Beyond 2007, the picture-tube business is very questionable for any company,” he said.

Picture-tube TV’s represented 78 percent of the market in 2004 but will account for only 54 percent this year, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, a trade group. In the same period, sales of flat-panel units have jumped from 12 percent of all TV’s sold to an expected 37 percent this year. Front- and rear-projection TV’s will account for about 9 percent of sales in 2006, according to the group.

“C.R.T. as a technology is fading out of the market,” said Sean Wargo, director of industry analysis for the association.

New technologies seldom replace their predecessors entirely, and picture-tube TV’s will still be available for those who prefer them. But they will increasingly be available only in discount stores, where they will be sold under house brand names and by less prominent manufacturers like Funai, which owns the Symphonic, Sylvania and Emerson brands.

<snip>
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:05 PM »

http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2006/08/07/business/tubes.php

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:45:01 PM »

The end of another era.  Really brings up the old memories of growing up with all those old  black and white sets. I remember the old black and white RCA portable that I inherited in my early teen years. Most of the time  I ran ot with the back off for 2 reasons, it used to get extremely hot, hot enough to melt stuff on the top of the set and I was forever fixing something inside. In a wayit's  gonna be sad to see the old CRT's go but, for all intent and purpose I like the new color  flatpanel LCD's a lot better.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:28:19 AM »

The end of another era.  Really brings up the old memories of growing up with all those old  black and white sets.

ob-la-di ob-la-da, life goes on bra
la la how the life goes on
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:04:37 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/technology/07tube.html

[But prices for both types continue to drop: 42-inch plasma TV’s can be bought for less than $2,000

Im trying to figure out why I'd pay that kind of money to watch the crap that's available on television ..... :-)

Grant/NQ5T
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:46:13 PM »

ob-la-di ob-la-da, life goes on bra
la la how the life goes on

That's from the White Album, Buddly - you're dating yourself!

With the bazillions of old TVs around, I don't think we'll have to feel lonesome for them anytime soon. I have a couple of really old ones with the porthole screens to restore one day. Nothing like watching the old programs on an old TV. The new wide screen High Def stuff will be great for movies, though.

Of course, with those new flat screen deals, folks will miss out on the thrill of reaching into the back of the set and getting knocked across the room.  Cheesy

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:23:33 AM »

Will the old sets even work in a few years ?

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:26:23 AM »

Will the old sets even work in a few years ?

Will the new sets work in a few years?

I still have a Zenith color TV  that belonged to my mother, probably 30 years old.  It still works, although the on/off knob is busted and you have to stick a small object in the hole to turn it on and off.  Probably one of the earliest solid state (except for CRC) TV's.

I hear horror stories about the plasma screens.  They consume loads of electric power, heat up like a space heater, some of them have been recalled as fire hazards, and they crap out in no time.

Like riceboxes, no doubt, in a couple of years after you buy one, if a major IC chip fails, you have an expensive door barricade.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:38:59 AM »

plasma's apparently are prone to burn-in similar to a CRT

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »

What I meant whan I asked, "will the old sets work in a few years"  was related to the fact that I heard thay are supposed to switch TV broadcasts over to digital soon. From what I heard they are going to use a form of digital encoding to carry the data on the signal. I also thought that they are supposed to use a different set of frequencies on which to broadcast this "digital" data and the original TV freqs are going to become vacant (up for grabs).  If all this is true won;t you  need a tuner/decoder to convert all this jazz into a plain ol fashon  analog signal that  the older sets can handle ? The newer sets are supposed to jave this jazz built into  them already. That is, if this move  to digital ever  really happens.

w1guh
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

My guess would be that, with the way that flat panel screens are going, a tuner/decoder with a modulator instead of a screen would be just as expensive. Undecided

On a related note, speaking of LCD's...'way back when LCD was a brand new technology, one of the salemen for them speculated that an application would be a rear-view mirror with a reflectance adjustment for use as a day-night mirror.  Wonder whatever happened to that idea.  I hate bright lights in my outside rearview mirror.

Finally, I wish that combo tv's/monitors were more available, or at least easier to find.  There's been some models (Samsung had a couple), but they seem to disappear from the market more quickly than I'd expect.  Oh, well...
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »

What I meant whan I asked, "will the old sets work in a few years"  was related to the fact that I heard thay are supposed to switch TV broadcasts over to digital soon. From what I heard they are going to use a form of digital encoding to carry the data on the signal. I also thought that they are supposed to use a different set of frequencies on which to broadcast this "digital" data and the original TV freqs are going to become vacant (up for grabs).  If all this is true won;t you  need a tuner/decoder to convert all this jazz into a plain ol fashon  analog signal that  the older sets can handle ? The newer sets are supposed to jave this jazz built into  them already. That is, if this move  to digital ever  really happens.

John, it's a done deal. Broadcasters are mandated to abandon their VHF frequencies in a few years, channels 2-13 are toast.The feds plan to auction off most of that VHF spectrum for a princely sum.

Here's the nuts part...As part of the forced move to digital UHF channels, Congress is actually going to provide converter boxes at Federal expense to those who can't afford new UHF digital teevees.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 12:20:43 PM »

"Congress passed a law on February 1, 2006, setting a final deadline for the DTV transition of February 17, 2009. Most television stations will continue broadcasting both analog and digital programming until February 17, 2009, when all analog broadcasting will stop. Analog TVs receiving over-the-air programming will still work after that date, but owners of these TVs will need to buy converter boxes to change digital broadcasts into analog format. Converter boxes will be available from consumer electronic products retailers at that time. Cable and satellite subscribers with analog TVs should contact their service providers about obtaining converter boxes for the DTV transition."

Lots more info, go here:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#whatisdate

922 Days to go and Analog TV is History

Even More Info:
http://www.dtv.gov/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »

Sony's new Chief Executive, Howard Stringer, announced on July 17th, that Sony will no longer make plasma TVs. Also, scrapping their high end Qualia line of gadgets. They still have strong sales in LCD TVs.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015