The AM Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terry N3GTE is in the Hospital:  (Read 4629 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« on: August 03, 2006, 09:10:35 PM »

Hello All,
          I got a call from Terry N3GTE this evening from his hospital room! He told me everything will be alright, and he'll probably be out early next week. He is currently in Abington Memorial Hospital in Abington, Pa. Room # 4WE27

Just thought those who may know Terry would like to know of his situation. He's the "Harvey-Wells" guru, and has a terrific collection of "Bandmasters" and HW stuff. He seemed to be in good spirits. We were dissussing plans for his new modulator and primitive superheterodyne circuts more than his current health issue. That's good news!

Regards,
           Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »

Can it be made public what happened ?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:14:24 AM »

Paul - I'll ask Terry if it's alright to divuldge what happened and repost on the board if acceptable to him.
For anyone who may want to call, his telefonium number at the hospital is: 215-481-5027. I'm sure he could use some cheering up.

I've been running back and forth to "HUP", the Hospital of the University of Pa. in Philly for the last three weeks or so to see my wife Jocelyn everyday, or I'd pay him a visit. She was operated on for esophegal cancer on 7/14; and has had a multitude of complications resulting from her surgery. It's always up and down, like being on a rollercoaster. She's being operated on again today, to close a large gaping hole in her chest.

If I find the time, I'd like to run some old QST's and radio books over to Terry. I even thought of bringing some "parts" to him so he could build a regenerative receiver, just for for kicks. Maybe a simple one tube dual triode job like a 6SN7, etc. We're not sure how hospital personnel would take to the smell of molten lead solder from his bedside. ........ Once the thing came to life, I wonder if the little one tube "squealer" would interfere with the hospitals' telemetry monitors, etc?

If you or anyone who reads this knows Terry give him a call in the Hospital. Terry usually frequents 40 Meter AM with one of his "Harvery-Wallbangers" or a Viking II, or 40 and 80 CW with a souped up ARC-5.

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:38 AM »

Joe, hope everything will be OK. I think there is too much nasty crap goin around, me, yer wife, the Mop man, it seems like it will never stop. My best. For photo of me look at Derb Found post.  My bald head is great. I'm gonna keep it like this.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:54:24 AM »

Joe, hope everything will be OK. I think there is too much nasty crap goin around, me, yer wife, the Mop man, it seems like it will never stop. My best. For photo of me look at Derb Found post.  My bald head is great. I'm gonna keep it like this.

Derb,
       I was stalking to Slab on the 'Fonium last night, and he told me about your eyeball QSO. Definitely FBOM! My wife is going on her fourth week in the hospital due to complications from her esophegeal cancer surgery. It's been a rough road for her to travel!

Regarding your new "chrome dome", as in the words of Telly Salvalas: "Bald is beautiful baby"!

Hope to talk to you on the air OM!

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:23:33 AM »

Paul - Terry has a pulmonary embalism from the "pic" line in his arm It's currently in in lungs. They've been giving him a blood thinner "cumadin" to help dissolve it. I spoke to him again this morning and he may be getting out today.

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »

Tnx Joe,
I'll give him a call before he escapes the place.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:54:37 AM »

Tnx Joe,
I'll give him a call before he escapes the place.

Paul - Many thanks. I know he'll appreciate hearing from you!
Best Regards,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »

11:48AM Monday -- just talked with Terry, they're waiting on more blood tests before they spring him.
This actually all dates back 16 years or so when he got LYME DISEASE, but it was dormant until a few years ago. The "pc line" is a vein they tap to inject antibiotics into you, and he says the hookup may have generated a clot.  No other problems, and he's sounding pretty good. Says it will eventually dissolve, and things should be hi hi FB after that. May even come down to Gaithersburg, I passed along the dates -- Sept 9-10, and word we will have the W3F station up and running for him.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »

This actually all dates back 16 years or so when he got LYME DISEASE, but it was dormant until a few years ago.

I hope Terry recovers well.  I wish him the best.

Yep, Lyme disease may be the sleeper of our generation. Those darn deer ticks. There are SO many problems associated with Lyme. New effects keep popping up. Nasty, hard to kill bacteria that resides and multiplies in our systems.

All my dogs have caught it, I have had it, both my parents and many people I know.
Fortunately, everyone I've mentioned spotted the bulls-eye rash / fever in time and did a month's antibiotic treatment to knock it out. But I know of others who did not have any symptoms until it was too late. Some now walk around half crippled. Once it takes hold, there is no cure. It can lie dormant for years and come back - or just haunt you continuosly.

If you get bitten by a tick that attaches and needs to be pulled out, it pays to see a doctor who knows the symptoms and anomolies well. Experience is the only way. A month's dose of antibiotics is a precautionary measure. Some doctors who are not sure take the chance of letting it go, to "heal" itself. Others are more careful.  Lyme tests are unreliable, plus the body takes over a month to show positive results.  Urge the doc to do the dosage. These days even the common larger dog ticks have been known to be infected wth Lyme.

BTW, even though my dog had the Lyme vaccination, he caught it a second time. Even the vaccinations are not 100%. Same goes for human Lyme vaccs.

Just wanted to mention this as someone who has caught Lyme and knocked it out thanks to a good doctor who recognized the symptoms early on and did the right thing.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015