The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:59:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach Radio  (Read 6419 times)
WA3VJB
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:47:08 AM »

Writing to you from Ocracoke, North Carolina, at the bottom of the paved part of the Outer Banks.

Excellent radio reception here, so you'd better watch yerself.

We saw a sign on the way in that mentioned Fessenden, but it was one of those silver with black letters historic markers that went by too fast for me to catch.

I have not seen Reggie on the beach, so I instead am using a $12 SW/AM/FM to keep tabs.

* reception.jpg (119.43 KB, 632x475 - viewed 564 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:10:48 AM »

I'm trying to decide which beach chair is Pauls'....  the neat one with the umbrella, neatly folded towel for a headrest, table with assorted accessories, near the big cooler - or the lonely chair to the left, with a bag stuffed with stuff...  Grin Grin

Have fun, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »

I'm trying to decide which beach chair is Pauls'....  the neat one with the umbrella, neatly folded towel for a headrest, table with assorted accessories, near the big cooler - or the lonely chair to the left, with a bag stuffed with stuff...  Grin Grin
Have fun, OM.   T 
That  lazy dawg is a nice touch!     Tongue

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:10:15 PM »

That  lazy dawg is a nice touch!     Tongue

You will find those in the South in many places!
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:55:48 PM »

The sign about Fessenden probably had to do with his time working for the Weather Bureau......

http://www.coastalguide.com/bearings/outer-banks-radio.shtml

As to the Outer Banks, spent our Honeymoon there 34 years ago. Went back a couple of times, the last being for our 25th anniversary. BOY has that place changed! I imagine it is even more built-up now.

Have fun Paul but beware of the rip tides. Had trouble with them as a boy out there. Almost did not get back to shore.

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »

Great for listening on the AM BC band. Did when I was there a few years ago. Could hear stations on Long Island five-by in the day time.
N2NRJ
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:51 AM »

Hi Paul.......I've visited Ocracoke Island the week before Memorial Day for the last 16 years...........gotta love the place.......have ya been to the Ocracoke Coffee Company?...sure is a nice place to enjoy javah....hope the WX holds for you.....I took my Sat. station and worked the I.S.S. from there ...driving on the beach is a hoot!!!!!
73....Gary
wa2zdy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »

Have fun out there.  it sure is a nice relaxing part of the world; at least it was when I vacationed in Currituck County (almost back up to the Va line) some years ago.

Enjoy!
k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »

Have fun, OM.

T

Isn't the chair to the left the dawg's?

Big doggie there Paul

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2JBL

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:52:01 PM »

howdy Paul! nice beach eh? my brother liked to drive down there in his Olds Vista Cruiser and go sailboarding in gale force winds. they probably still know him- he's the Tuetonic madman with a red beard who went in those cool beans clam shacks, ate them out of fried clams and drank all the beer before going out... if you find long stretches of burned asphalt on the beach road and strange piles of Jack Daniels bottles near a breakwater he was there. and you thought i was crazy?
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:58:41 PM »

Chris I don't think your brother would be that out-of-place here.

We have seen three possible brothers of TimTron, and today a crazy bearded guy named "Capt. Carl" rented us a small runabout to go over to Portsmouth Island, a village that was abandoned in 1971 with many of the homes still standing.

We walked around a while, then pulled the ropes off the old dock and plopped the umbrella in Pamlico Sound where the water was warm, but not much breeze for wind surfing. These days it's parasailing, two on a rope pulled aloft by a power boat.

More stories when we get back and on the ray-ro.

Tom, the neatly organized chair was mine, the one with the bag o' stuff was Pam's
Dave, the dog does NOT get a chair.
Bill yes it's a great place for honeymooners I bet -- since it's too far for a minivan full of screaming kids!
Plus, there's no go-Kart track, no putt-putt, no giant water slide, etc. Just boring beach (a-hehnh !)
Gary -- yes, Ocracoke Coffee is right across from where we are staying !!
Chris/ZDY -- would you believe with all the HT600 I did NOT bring one on marine VHF Huh

Thanks all for the replies, boy did I save money on post card stamps !!

* DSC09632'.JPG (53.72 KB, 777x583 - viewed 433 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:01:41 PM »

Isn't the chair to the left the dawg's?

Big doggie there Paul

Like I said, no he does not get a chair.
But, he does not seem to mind.

* DSC09683'.JPG (64.23 KB, 777x583 - viewed 438 times.)
k3zrf

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 04:16:54 AM »

I see by the advance on photo # that you did not strand Pam or the dawg in the incoming tide.

Nope, ain't gonna touch the second photo.

Nice stretch of beachs...was there only in previous life. I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Fred k2dx

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

Too bad you don't have HF mobile capabilities in a 4wd. Propagation from South Point is amazing! I used a kite supported 300' wire there a number of times as well as the vehicle mounted whip.

Be sure to eat at Howard's Pub, their observation deck has a great view while you wait for your table. The ocean kayak rentals are a blast if you like to paddle.

There was an active HF ham on the island, Sigmond, but he became a SK several years ago. Sig was the local magistrate.
Edward Teach a.k.a. Blackbeard was killed and beheaded there.

The long ferry ride to Swan Quarter is a nice way to return and it's ok to bring a few cold ones along.

It's hard to leave Ocracoke and come back to the rat race.
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »

Apparently, Fred, Reggie also found propagation pretty good from the region.
Of course he was running AM.
Found the sign again on the way through Hatteras.
Just think, Reggie could have been one of the first music stations on 75 meters.

* FessendenSite.jpg (134.16 KB, 350x263 - viewed 387 times.)

* Fess-Chart.jpg (104.31 KB, 498x498 - viewed 377 times.)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 12:26:47 PM »

Paul,
      You NEED a Zenith "Transoceanic" for a beach radio!

Hope you and Pam are having fun!

Best Regards,
                        Joe Cro N3IBX       

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015