The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA Channel and Shuttle Launch  (Read 3712 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: July 04, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

Anyone receive the NASA channel and happen to watch Discovery liftoff?  Today, after a few launch scrubs Discovery made a picture perfect launch from Kennedy Space Center.  What made the launch more interesting was the extraordinary video coverage provided by NASA.  NASA provided video from many angle on the ground to video coverage from the external tank viewing SRB separation and external tank separation. Spectacular video footage I've never seen before. It was fascinating to watch them climb the hill and watch terra firma drop away.  Anyone else view the launch on the NASA channel?  A nice touch for the 4th of July.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:22 PM »

It was also on C-span.  Same NASA feed with the great video and no talking airheads.

Bill  N2BC
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:20:16 AM »

It was also on C-span.  Same NASA feed with the great video and no talking airheads.

Damn. I wish I'd known that. My folks keep Fox on most of the day (gives my dad something to nod off to  Wink ), but at least they had the sense to shut up from T -2:30 until the tank separation and let the NASA footage speak for itself.

It was pretty impressive. I really liked the tank-cam video. I was suprised how quickly the curvature of the Earth was discernable. After the engine roll, the contrast got much better, and the view of the Earth was beautiful.

It was also kinda neat to see what it looks like to be dragged into space on the belly of a shuttle, then jettisoned for breakup and splashdown in the Indian Ocean.

Way more impressive than breaking up 40 seconds after launch and crashing into the Sea of Japan, thank you very much!

Definately made for a nice Independence Day.

--Thom
Kinky Astronaut One Zero Gravity Cunnilingus
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »

I pumped the audio through the hi-fi system and turned up the volume.  Surprisingly the audio was pretty good.  Got the house shakin' during liftoff.

What amazed me was how fast they pull away from earth.  To see the ground just shrink in such a short amount of time was amazing.  The acceleration and G forces must be intense.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »

At the links below are a pretty nice view from the solid rocket booster.  The video is more than 10minutes long, no sound either but a very different view of the launch of STS121.  One can get a glimpes of the chutes opening, a view of a small contrail just after separation as the booster move away and of course splashdown.

Requires a good high speed connection.

Windows Media Player
http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_aft_srb_camera.asx

Real Player
http://mfile.akamai.com/18565/rm/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/real.nasa-global/sts-121/right_aft_srb.ram

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »

We've been listening to shuttle audio on ham 2M, relayed by a station near Langley AFB, and another near Goddard SFC.
I understand they carry it on HF too as WA3NAN, or at least they used to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015