The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S.P.A.M.  (Read 14003 times)
KD2NX
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 11:14:42 PM »

I like the idea of forming an alliance between AMFone and SPAR. Both groups would complement each other very well, as I believe SPAR is essentially a CW-oriented organization (please correct me if I'm wrong). It is not necessary to revive SPAM as "The Kindergarten of AM within SPAR" because there are plenty of entry-level discussions on this site, as well as a few others. Besides, I believe SPAM should remain untouched in the annals of our AM history. It served a wonderful purpose at a time when AM had almost died out. Let SPAM be what it was. We can be proud of the current organizations that it inspired... the creation of AMI, The AM Window, AMFone, etc. And to all the people who run these organizations, keep up the good work! I certainly couldn't have done it if I tried.
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

Steve,

SPAR is really an organization which believes that amateur radio is a technical hobby and that in order for it to survive it must maintain that. That is to say the tests and the hams that result should have sone idea of what they are doing. That's the reason I'm a member, and suspect that holds for INR, VJB, KYV, W4CLM, and Andy WA4KCY to name just a few AMers in SPAR.

I suspect the CW reputation has to do with SPAR's filing in opposition to the complete removal of CW testing. An excellent filing IMO and contributed to by many SPAR members. However as far as I know SPAR is a mix of people operating all modes with no particular preferences as a group. A CW transmitter is a technical basic, people ought to know how to build and USE one.

Myself I did not have the opportunity to file on CW testing or the recent bandwidth proposals however I did participate in those dicussions at SPAR and that group filed basically my opinions. Participation here at AMfone is outstanding and filings by individuals on NPRM's etc are unbelieveable.  I can't write anywhere near as well as many here, and many times don't have the time to do so. In that regard SPAR allows me to contribute a few comments, collectively drafts a document, and then votes on it before it is submitted by the organization on behalf of its members.

I believe the idea of technical knowledge, repairing and building your own equipment is a basic idea/belief of the AM Community. It shares that for sure with SPAR.

73, Marty WB2RJR  AMI 20, SPAR 27

AMI #20, GACW #786
KD2NX
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 09:31:15 PM »

Thank you Marty for clarifying that information for me. I certainly appreciate it. As one who has gained enough technical knowledge to be dangerous but not fully proficient, it seems to me that the guys at SPAR seem to know what they are doing. I agree that this hobby needs, at the very least, basic hands-on technical aspects instilled into new Amateur Radio operators. I have heard many stories of hams who can't even solder a connector onto a piece of coax... and many of them have Advanced or Extra Class licenses! That's pretty pitiful. I'm not totally free from the guilt of the lack of knowledge, either...
When I was studying for my General Class license back in 1981, something called "The Bash Books" by Dick Bash hit the scene. It created quite an uproar amongst traditionalists, claiming that it was going to 'dumb down' the hobby by having people memorizing the questions and answers instead of figuring them out for yourself by using the traditional study guides that were out at the time. I was 14 years old and didn't have a clue on how to deal with algebraic equations, sine-cosine, etc. I did the best I could to figure it out with the examples that were given. To me, the Bash Books were a godsend. I passed my General without a problem. By the time I was 15, I failed and then passed the Advanced by one question by using the Bash Books. In 1995, I passed the Extra by using the same memorization method, which had become adopted by every publisher in the end anyway. That being said, SPAR's mission is a valid one. Technical know-how within our hobby is a definite must in order for it to survive. It will be interesting to see what develops between them and AMFone. I think it can be a benefit to all of us. In fact, I'm going to look into the possibility of joining SPAR as well. It certainly couldn't hurt!

WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »

Steve/KD2NX:
I believe SPAM should remain untouched in the annals of our AM history. It served a wonderful purpose at a time when AM had almost died out. Let SPAM be what it was. We can be proud of the current organizations that it inspired...

Marty/WB2RJR:
I believe the idea of technical knowledge, repairing and building your own equipment is a basic idea/belief of the AM Community. It shares that for sure with SPAR

Well said, both of you.

AG4YO
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 01:41:59 PM »

I'd be happy to facilitate any discussions on the SPAR side.  After thought on my time off, I believe SPAM is a sleeping dog better left that way.  Thanks for all the input.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »

Been following this thread with interest. Lots of good discussion. I like the idea of AMers cooperating with other technically minded/based groups. We shouldn't let the mode(s) we use most often or prefer separate us. Even if you are a diehard CW buff, there is useful info on this site for you (think antennas, amplifier construction, receiver info, etc.) The same holds true for the diehard AMer on other sights. I've learned quite a bit on various forums like Glowbugs, Contester, Amps, etc. The common thread is technical pursuits and hands-on activity in the hobby. In the end, everyone is likely to win: we get more AMers, some AMers will broaden their horizons, and there will be more technically competent amateurs. What's not to like about this?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015