The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex Alert danger!!!!  (Read 4100 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: July 03, 2006, 10:12:32 PM »

Danger !!! Danger!!! Danger!!!! Danger!!!! Danger!!! Danger!!!  Danger !!! Danger!!! Danger!!!! Danger!!!! Danger!!! Danger!!!
Travel alert to all who will be in the vicinity or on Interstate 81, 70 or 44  on the last weekend of the month. There is a major BA auction in Fort Scott KS and I suspect that the Vortex effect may kick in. If that is the case then the travel area could be crowded with boatanchors flying thorough the air east to Washington Crossing, PA. Like the Lockness monster it is a sight to behold but seldom seen in action

http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/Vortex_in_Action.jpg

To see the start of it go to

http://www.antiquehamradio.com/default.asp

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:03:51 PM »

I wonder if Jim is getting out of the boatanchor parts business.  I've bought several parts/knobs from him and while his prices aren't giveaways he's friendly and fast to ship.

edit.  duh. 
Jim has been buying Ham Radio estates for several years from all over the United States. He has encountered A major problem with his right knee. It was replaced in 2002 and was revised in July 2005. Shortly after that major pain returned. It appears that there is infection or other problems that will require more surgery. Because of this, he has decided to close the site and have a live auction here in Ft. Scott, Kansas to liquidate all of his inventory. The date is set for July 29 & 30. He is setting aside two days to sell all the lots, but may be able to sell them in less. Jim wants to thank all who have visited his site and have ordered items from him. He has taken photos of the thousands of items as they have been packed to move to the auction site that will be offered in the up coming 2 day auction. NO ITEMS WILL BE FOR SALE UNTIL THE AUCTION DATE. NO EARLY SALES.

Too bad.  He was a great resource.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:44:25 PM »

I wonder if Jim is getting out of the boatanchor parts business.  I've bought several parts/knobs from him and while his prices aren't giveaways he's friendly and fast to ship.

edit.  duh. 
Jim has been buying Ham Radio estates for several years from all over the United States. He has encountered A major problem with his right knee. It was replaced in 2002 and was revised in July 2005. Shortly after that major pain returned. It appears that there is infection or other problems that will require more surgery. Because of this, he has decided to close the site and have a live auction here in Ft. Scott, Kansas to liquidate all of his inventory. The date is set for July 29 & 30. He is setting aside two days to sell all the lots, but may be able to sell them in less. Jim wants to thank all who have visited his site and have ordered items from him. He has taken photos of the thousands of items as they have been packed to move to the auction site that will be offered in the up coming 2 day auction. NO ITEMS WILL BE FOR SALE UNTIL THE AUCTION DATE. NO EARLY SALES.

Too bad.  He was a great resource.

I met Jim on two occasions. Once at Shelby, NC hamfest in 2000, and then the following year or two  at Dayton. Interesting guy, with lots and lots of "stuff". I believe at one time he had or maybe still has, KW-1, Serial #1. You will probably hear him on Wednesday night for Collins AM Net. I believe he's the Central time net control.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »

Jim helps run one of the gatherings for the senior Collins transmitters that feature AM, and he is always the gentleman.

I know he's not dead or anything, so we can still wish him the best.

He's the second longstanding proprietor I consider a friendly resource now leaving the market.

You may not know Ted Bleiman, K9MDM, but he is folding his Chicago-area MDM Radio, known for many years for excellent, used VHF/UHF commercial gear that some of us prefer over the consumer-grade toylike radios on the ham bands. Had been to Gaithersburg a number of times.

It's too bad, because these fellows will be hard to replace, if that's at all possible.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 05:55:31 PM »

Jim helps run one of the gatherings for the senior Collins transmitters that feature AM, and he is always the gentleman.

I know he's not dead or anything, so we can still wish him the best.

He's the second longstanding proprietor I consider a friendly resource now leaving the market.

You may not know Ted Bleiman, K9MDM, but he is folding his Chicago-area MDM Radio, known for many years for excellent, used VHF/UHF commercial gear that some of us prefer over the consumer-grade toylike radios on the ham bands. Had been to Gaithersburg a number of times.

It's too bad, because these fellows will be hard to replace, if that's at all possible.

Ted and I did some business together at Dayton several years ago and we both came away happy. Nice guy to deal with. I try to steer folks looking for commercial 2-way manuals over to him. Jim and I never had any dealing but we had some laughs at Shelby.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:30 AM »

I'm very sorry to see Jim liquidate his collection of gear! I don't know if he's selling everything, or just a few thousand pieces - hi!

I've talked to him on the air a few times when I handed the Collins Collectors Association "AM Night" over to him when he was the Mid-West net control station.

From what I understand, his collection of old radio gear is absolutely mind boggling. He has something like three warehouses on his property that he just keeps things in!

I hope he retains a few of his favorites and that everything goes well in the auction. Moreso, I hope we all still hear him on the air, on AM, of course!

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015