The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:42:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: safe grounding  (Read 17025 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Much of the confusion about grounding, earthing and bonding is due to lack of understanding or misunderstanding the terminology used in the NEC.

The Mike Holt website is loaded with information, accompanied by illustrations that clarify the code requirements and clearly explain the reasoning behind them.

Check out any one of these topics:
http://www.mikeholt.com/newslettersCategories.php

Of particular interest regarding this discussion (one could spend hours exploring this topic alone):
http://www.mikeholt.com/newslettersArchive.php?list=GB-HTML&back=articlecategories.php

One thing made clear in my own case, the stock Gates BC1-T as it is wired at the factory is in violation of the code because the a.c. neutral is bonded directly to the metal transmitter cabinet.  I separated those as one of the very first modifications, when I converted the transmitter.

According to the site, there is one violation in my hamshack installation.  I run a three-wire feed from the main panel in the house (two hots plus neutral) to the shack, enclosed in buried plastic conduit.  I also run a bonding wire from the ground rod at the shack to the one at the service entrance.  The neutral at the shack is not connected to the ground rod, but is insulated and treated the same as the two hot wires.  I run a separate #4 or #6 (don't remember which) wire between the two ground rods.  According to the site, I should have run a bonding wire, in addition to the neutral wire inside the conduit along with the three conductors.  Mine is outside the buried conduit, buried separately a few inches below the surface, and runs between the two ground rods.  But since the earth is not depended upon for the return of ground fault current, I don't think this is a serious concern.  In any case, it would be virtually impossible to add a bonding wire inside  the conduit without digging up the whole system, and I'm not going to do that.

I experimented one day, temporarily connecting the neutral where it arrives into the shack to the ground/bonding wire (which would be a code violation if connected permanently), and the resulting ground loop induced hum in both my transmit and receive audio.

Interestingly, the Holt site makes one thing clear: the neutral wire at the utility pole may be a few volts above ground potential, and there is nothing you can do at the service entrance, no matter how many ground rods you may install, to reduce this potential difference.  That's why the neutral should be treated the same as a  hot wire.  The only purpose of ground rods is to reduce on-site surges induced by nearby strikes.  The ground system will do nothing to reduce destructive effects of surges that already exist on the a.c. line as it comes into the building from the utility line. But in any case, the ground system should never share any of the a.c. load current with the neutral.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »

If you connect your neutral to safety ground in multiple places there will be ground loop currents and any gfi breakers will have problems with false trips. Also if you take a lightning hit there will be offset voltages set up between ground systems that could result in large voltages on the neutral. Lightning pulses have different frequency components. The big strikes can be evaluated with simple ohms law while the lower power induced strikes become more complicated with higher frequency components so inductance also causes voltage offsets. Note lighting rod conductor is braded wire unlike electrical wire to reduce inductance due to the trists.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »

I'm confused about something relating to grounding, antenna towers and electrical service grounds.  In the August QST they show a tower being grounded to the electrical service through the coax shield plus being grounded to a  ground radial and ground rod system at the tower which makes that another ground system. For some reason I was under the impression that the tower, grounding rods, and/or radial system should have a separate cable connecting to the electrical service ground system (ground rods) to the tower ground system but if that's the case then there are to electrical ground paths, one through the heavy cable between the tower and electrical service ground rods and one through the coax shield. What's right?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 06:22:31 PM »

Using a coax shield for grounding does NOT consitute bonding insofar as the NEC is concerned.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 06:39:42 PM »

#4 soild conductor for 200 amp service is a good rule of thumb.
coax shield would turn into copper BBs.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 10:19:20 PM »

I'm sitting here at work and it is dead quiet. Can't leave because a big storm is about to hit. A large flash of lightning just made a loud click. Must be the metal roof or structure taking some current. Too chicken to walk up to my truck in the lot on a hill.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »

Using a coax shield for grounding does NOT consitute bonding insofar as the NEC is concerned.

Yup, it's a shield, not a ground.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

All our equipment specs say the safety ground does not carry current.
It is considered an extra ground path. Many times it is a pin on the power connector between the chassis of the unit connected directly to the structure of the aircraft in our case. (work) home would be the electrical single point ground.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015