The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: resonated floor  (Read 2568 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »

Something flew over the house last night with a different roar. Not like a C5 from Westover AFB.
May have even been the Russian transport that comes through BDL once a month or so.
Anyway it resonated the solar room floor 13 by 29 feet and at least 8 inches thick with wire in the concrete. It sits on top of 2 feet of 1 3/4 inch stone. It vibrated for at least 30 seconds. I thought I heard it later in the night flying away from BDL. I stood in the middle of the floor for effect.
XYL in the living room felt nothing on the wood floor.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:47:08 PM »

Um, did they drop an ice nugget through your solarium roof too?   : )
Saw that on the news; wouldn't that be thrilling?

Yeah, those Russkies never did get the hang of turbofans, quieter and more efficient engines.  Full blast with the demi-diameter blow torches.  Visited Pratt (?) AFB on lake Geo. years ago and I think KC-135'a took off all night at two minute intervals.  Not much sleep.
3's, Rick

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »

Something flew over the house last night with a different roar. Not like a C5 from Westover AFB.
May have even been the Russian transport that comes through BDL once a month or so.
Anyway it resonated the solar room floor 13 by 29 feet and at least 8 inches thick with wire in the concrete. It sits on top of 2 feet of 1 3/4 inch stone. It vibrated for at least 30 seconds. I thought I heard it later in the night flying away from BDL. I stood in the middle of the floor for effect.
XYL in the living room felt nothing on the wood floor.

That was no stinkin' aeroplane.
It was just little ole me firing up the driver for the big rig, wait until you hear it on 160!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »

wow I need to have the rest of my silver fillings replaced with composit.
n3lrx
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:10:25 PM »

Maybe it was one a them there U-Foes? Quick! Call Art Bell! LOL

I remember back in the day, The early 80's I think, when the Concord made it's first landing at BWI, (I think it was it's last, because the runway was too short) that sucker flew over and had everyone in an uproar! It was an unannounced test landing and it shook everything in it's wake.

At the time I lived inside the normal flight path of the airport. The local TV station had a break-in to announce that the Concord had successfully landed at BWI. In fact, I don't even remember if it was 'BWI' back then. I think it was just known as 'Friendship Airport' as I think it pre-dated its 'International' status.

That runway is still too short! It's funny to watch the large jumbo jets take off from there.. They literally squeeze every inch of space out of the tarmac! Just when you think they're gonna mow the lawn they pull up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015