The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breezshooters Hamfest (Pittsbgh)  (Read 3248 times)
WA3VJB
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »

Did anyone here go to the Breezeshooters fester last weekend?
Is this one also known as "the Butler hamfest? "
I remember that's the one that conflicts with the fest at Rochester NY that I usually go to.

A fellow on the email-based AM Reflector spotted some components that might be headed into our world.

I was disappointed to see what I was told was the
remains of the Penn State Ham Club AM station being sold at
Breezeshooters. I didn't know the two guys who were doing the selling, but they had
these huge meter panels and big variacs and a selection of transmitting
tubes and said that's where they came from. Judging from the size and
quality construction of the meter panels, that must have been some rig.

Looked up K3CR but their website is down. Maybe some pictures out there.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

See "Butler Report" on the Forum.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »

The Breezeshooter fest used to be held near Pittsburgh, at White Swan Park. I bought an NC-303 at that fest in 1982/83. Not too many years later, the fest was moved to Butler (about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh) when White Swan park was closed/sold for development.
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »

It probably was parts from the famous W3YA kilowatt transmitter being sold.  W3YA was the call of the late Gil Crosley, EE professor and adviser to the Penn State ham club until the 60's.  My stepfather actually helped with its construction, being employed in the EE shop and right hand man to Gil Crosley.  In later years, the Penn State ham club became inactive for a period of time, the local town club (Nittany Amateur Radio Club) managed to get the W3YA call sign and the transmitter.  In later years it was purchased by Everett Mundy, WA3JTU.  He was a founder of a local cable company and used his wealth to build up a huge collection of ham equipment.  He passed away a few years ago and his equipment and parts were donated back to the Nittany Amateur Radio Club.  The club has been seliling this stuff for the past few years to club members.  I did buy a lot of the balanced plug in coils and a huge dual variable cap from the transmitter.  No one apparently was interested in the transmitter, it was too large to fit through standard doorways, so it was dismantled and the main cabinet went to the Centre County dump staion.  I am a member but not active in the club, I think none of the directors are into vintage radio.  It would have been nice if this transmitter could have found a home.  The transmitter  had some history, I believe it is the same one used to keep in touch with the historic Kon Tikii expedition.  Just a few comments on what I know about this rig.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:26:31 PM »

It probably was parts from the famous W3YA kilowatt transmitter being sold. ||  No one apparently was interested in the transmitter, it was too large to fit through standard doorways, so it was dismantled and the main cabinet went to the Centre County dump staion ||

That's a shame. Wish someone would have called Vortex Joe or posted it on here.
Do you remember the tube lineup?
Would enjoy some photographs, but the club website is under destruction right now.

K3ZS

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »

I saw the tubes at one of the club's garage sales, but can't be sure of the type.  They were big glass bottles, 100TH or something like that.  I would have put something in this forum if I knew that it was going to be junked out, but didn't know anything about it.  I guess if I went to meetings I would have known.  Ham clubs these days seem to run on inertia and don't interest me.  I feel I have more in common with the guys on AM than with members of the local club.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015