The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago wireless plan advances  (Read 2513 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 04, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »

City Hall will seek proposals from private companies to extend high-speed wireless Internet service to all Chicago neighborhoods at little or no cost to consumers, Mayor Richard Daley announced Tuesday.

Exactly how the Wi-Fi system would be installed, how its benefits would be extended even to the city's poorest areas and how the system would provide profits for the company that operates it will be up to the firms that respond, officials said.

If a few larger cities like Chicago adopt community-wide Wi-Fi systems to allow all residents access to low-cost broadband, won't that pretty much kill BPL once and for all?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-060530wireless,1,3361882.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »

I only wish I could get something here. This slow-as-crap copper line is pissing me off. I can't get any of the broadband VOIP stuff. Can't use an IPod since download-able music is impossible. As it is right now, I have to use Earthlink's Accelerator to speed up things but all it really does is give fuzzy graphics as the webpage loads.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

It would be **so** cool if some sort of national association for ham radio marketed itself as a helpful resource for people setting up wi-fi setups, you know, basic antenna theory. Even if it is 2.4 gHz, it's the same stuff we do as a hobby, and may serve a recruitment purpose.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015