The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:11:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John, K2TQN, QST "Old Radio" Wins Award  (Read 5570 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: May 25, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »

For those who know John, this is a great acknowledgement.
From the ARRL web site:
QST Contributing Editor John Dilks, K2TQN wins VWOA award (May 25, 2006) -- QST Contributing Editor John Dilks, K2TQN, has received the Marconi Memorial Award from the Veteran Wireless Operators Association (VWOA) "for his persevering efforts over the past 15 years in collecting, restoring, displaying and demonstrating the operation of vintage radio equipment," the award plaque reads. "His published writings of radio history preserve the memories of all radio and wireless pioneers." VWOA President Alan Ehrlich, WA2GDQ, presented the award to Dilks (left in photo) on May 20. Dilks has written the popular monthly "Old Radio" column for QST since January 2000. The VWOA was founded in 1925 to foster fellowship among wireless operators. Over the years, the association's ranks have included many broadcasting and communication industry executives and innovators, as well as thousands of Amateur Radio operators. More information on Dilks appears on page 8 of the 81st annual VWOA Yearbook.--Mike Shaw, K2LRE

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:58 AM »

Thanks for posting that Pete!

Well deserved, very glad to see that!
John does a super job each month with his articles in QST.
Its really raised the awareness and apprecation of vintage radio.
This month's piece was outstanding, quite a 1950s dream station.

Is John still touring with his motorhome?
I recall seeing him at AWA and then at HossTraders a few years back, but he has been asbsent since.
Its a real treat to see the old buzzard gear he has on display.

73 Bruce W1UJR
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »

I'll second Bruce's motion.  The first thing I turn to each month in QST is John's "Old Radio" page.  It is always very well done, and most interesting!  I'm very glad for him with this acknowledgement!

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »

This month's piece was outstanding, quite a 1950s dream station.

Is John still touring with his motorhome?
I recall seeing him at AWA and then at HossTraders a few years back, but he has been asbsent since.
Its a real treat to see the old buzzard gear he has on display.

73 Bruce W1UJR

Museum Display Schedule:
http://www.eht.com/oldradio/museum/

W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:33:17 PM »

Museum Display Schedule:

Unfortunately neither the page and schedule have been updated since 2005.  Huh
wa2zdy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:33:02 PM »

I met him and toured his mobile museum once before I fell ill.  I'm glad I got the chance, it was outstanding.

John's column in QStreet in my opinion is one of the only things worth reading in that rag.   And it's the first thing I turn to each month when my brother drops off the rag for me to read.

Congrats John, well done and well deserved indeed.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »

Museum Display Schedule:

Unfortunately neither the page and schedule have been updated since 2005.  Huh

Sorry, didn't notice that it was a 2005 schedule. Drop him an email.

W2JTD

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »

Well deserved! John has given me an  incredible amount of help and support in this hobby over the years. While many of the schmucks in the local radio club had me pegged as a pariah because I preferred AM over slopbucket, John would pull up to my house almost weekly with his van filled to bursting with OLD RADIOS. How much stuff in my shack came my way via K2TQN? The short list is how much did not! His passion for the old (and best) stuff is amazing, as is evidinced by his consistently excellent column in QST.

HE's one of the great ones.

- Paul, W2JTD

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »

Paul I enjoyed your story about John's help "despite" how you think you were viewed by members of your local radio club. John has told me a couple of times that he does not consider himself an AMer, being more interested in CW, or in old radios generally. You'd never know it from his rolling radio display, once brought alongside the W3F AM Festival Station out the Howard County (Md.) Fairgrounds.  I wish we could find ways to bring him out on the air with us -- it's not like he doesn't have any rigs for a decent desktop station, eh ?
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 02:20:57 AM »

Paul I enjoyed your story about John's help "despite" how you think you were viewed by members of your local radio club. John has told me a couple of times that he does not consider himself an AMer, being more interested in CW, or in old radios generally. You'd never know it from his rolling radio display, once brought alongside the W3F AM Festival Station out the Howard County (Md.) Fairgrounds.  I wish we could find ways to bring him out on the air with us -- it's not like he doesn't have any rigs for a decent desktop station, eh ?

Next weekend is Vintage Field Day Paul, why not invite John to get on the air?
I can't think of of a more interesting vintage station!

73 Bruce W1UJR
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »

For those who have never met John, K2TQN personally, he is one of the nicest people one could meet. He takes a lot of pride in his mobile museum, and the acquisition and condition of his equipment. Like a lot of us, he receives occasional flack from his family over his collection, but they respect him for his "passion" of collecting old Amateur gear and the pursuit of Amateur Radio history.

I know John personally and am very glad he received the award.

The icing on the cake is: John can be persuaded,coaxed,bullied, etc to get on AM 'Fone. He loves the mode and the only reason we don't hear more of him is because of a lack of time. He's always busy doing something. In other words, "he's one of us".

I too, turn to John's "Old Radio" column in QST each month, and always enjoy reading it.

The next time you see his mobile museum at a Hamfest or radio event, make sure you stop in to say hello and check out his exhibits. He's always changing things in his museum to promote interest in radio history.

Congradulations to John for a superb job done!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015