The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton was great this year!  (Read 5842 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: May 22, 2006, 12:49:22 PM »

Wow!  Myself and Steve W8TOW had a great time this year at the Dayton Hamvention.  We were just there Friday for the day, but saw many of our AM'er friends and drooled over tons of really nice boatanchors in the flea market.  We walked and walked along with our fellow AM buddy Brian, W8KHZ and just about wore ourselves out getting around the place. 

The DX-60 Net gang had a banner up at KA9TOC's booth and everyone really enjoyed seeing it and signing their names and calls.  We must have seen at least 30 AM'ers there.

It is even reported that there was a "Tron" sighting at Dayton!  Yes, it was probably almost as good as HOSTRADERS.  I will have a few pictures on my web page...address in QRZ.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »

It is even reported that there was a "Tron" sighting at Dayton!  Yes, it was probably almost as good as HOSTRADERS.  I will have a few pictures on my web page...address in QRZ.

73,  Jack, W9GT

I saw a Tronalike but not the real thing. Like Elvis he has impersonators!

It was a good time and I posted my thoughts elsewhere while you were doing this one !

Sorry we missed each other. I thought I saw Steve on Sunday, but was not sure. Now I am glad I did not introduce myself to that person. Did you see the guy in the space suit?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:26:23 PM »

Well the Tron sighting was real.  We talked to Tim for some length of time Friday afternoon.  Sorry we didn't get to the AM forum, but we were only there for one day and had limited time to try and see all that we could.

I guess we were posting comments about Dayton at the same time!

Yes, we saw the spacesuit guy...he looked hot in that thing and I don't mean sexy!
 Grin

73,  Jack

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:50:02 PM »

Tron and company (Thom KA1ZGC and Jeff W2NBC) hung out at our booth for quite a while.  What a lot of fun!

Jeff, if you copy, the Harris leenyar is now down to $1000 - my buddy sold the exciter while packing up on Sunday.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »

Well the Tron sighting was real.  We talked to Tim for some length of time Friday afternoon.   Grin

73,  Jack

Well, we missed him then. Suprised about that.
It was a good time fer shure

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »

Dayton was just fantastic this year...didn't come home with much, but
have great memories!!!
Carl, Jack (9GT) and I were only there Friday.
Next year will be going for a couple of days, hope to see more folks then...
really cool to have so many pix taken ....
vri 73 to all
steve
8tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
KA1ZGC
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »

Tron and company (Thom KA1ZGC and Jeff W2NBC) hung out at our booth for quite a while.  What a lot of fun!

Jeff, if you copy, the Harris leenyar is now down to $1000 - my buddy sold the exciter while packing up on Sunday.

Ditto! Thanks for the beer, stogies, seats, and staging area, John! You guys were life savers.

Listening carefully, I think I hear the sound of Jeff's bank account dwindling...  Wink

--Thom
Killer Aircraft One Zero Ground Clearance
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »

John I hope it is a tube amp... I'm looking for a solid state amp
Wanna trade something bummer the exciter is gone....
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 01:35:04 PM »

It's not mine, but it's a beautiful Harris/Gates 4CX1000 amp.  100 mW in.

BTW I scored a RF-590.  Not cheap, but it has the preselector and ISB.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »

It's not mine, but it's a beautiful Harris/Gates 4CX1000 amp.  100 mW in.

Real sexy lookin', too. Jeff gave me the camera to get some shots of both the plate and grid circuits. Every time someone so much as glanced at it, Jeff's anxiety levels went up a few notches! I gotta admit that was kind of amusing to watch!

Hey John, was that 4CX1000 stuff I bought out of the spares for that amp, do you know?

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »

It was out of an identical amp that he parted out, I believe.  Or part of the spares that he got with those amps.  IIRC he had 3 or 4 at one time.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

Ah, okay. I figured it was something like that. Excellent!

Looking at it out of the socket, it looks virtually unused. Timmy and I are going to stick it in one of the bible-beater FMs and give it a test run this weekend.

I looked up the ratings and realized I can't build what I thought I could, the grid's rated at 0W dissipation. I was getting my figures mixed up with the 1000K. Looks like I'm building a leenyar, after all.

But now I've come up with a workable design, I need to find me a 4CX1500A. See what hamfest bargains do to people?

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015