The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSB & Bandwidth -- new video  (Read 4374 times)
WA3VJB
« on: May 20, 2006, 05:48:09 PM »

Al N2SAG (not N2SHG RIP) and Mike KO6NM are preparing to roll out a video they believe illustrates the claim is overstated when it comes to SSB and spectrum conservation. I have long been convinced that the mentality of "narrow = better" is a flawed premise, nor is it achieved in practice.

I haven't seen the video yet (on a dialup phone here OM), but I'd appreciate your viewing it and offering a reaction.

-------

From the website:

SSB IS FAT!

Click Here To Download A Short Video

Proving That Single Sideband Is Not Really

More Bandwidth Efficient Than AM!

http://www.radionational.org/ssb_bandwidth_video.htm
k3zrf

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 06:01:25 PM »

Al, huh? Video from the dead?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »

Paul the problem with what I viewed and read on the video is that if it came to pass, then it would be a short walk to prohibiting AM on the rest of the 75 meter band.  Also if presented with the information, a dedicated SSB operator would tell us to get sharp filters.

I don't know!
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »

Great demo. But if we tell our ssb "friends" that they are as wide as a barn door the response is sometimes "that's what you get for using a 50 year old receiver".Try operating a "modern" mode etc etc......... I dont have a 50 year old receiver. (its only 30). But like most on this BB we own modern receivers and the video pretty much sums it up.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
k3zrf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 06:42:06 AM »

Al N2SAG (not N2SHG RIP) and Mike KO6NM

You had me going there.............

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
w1guh
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 06:48:07 AM »

The production of the video is superb with the exception that it didn't specify in detail the settings in the receiver.  Guessing that that radio's 6 db AM bandwidth is 5 kc?  If that's the case a pure CW tone will "occupy" 5 kc plus the skirts of the filter.  A typical AM skirt slope can easlily make that a 10 kc window in which the signal will be heard.

Well, the "test" has some merit in demonstrating the practical applications of the two modes in mixed company.

Poltically and technically it's like serving up a "fat pitch" to a talented hitter.  It's going to be knocked not just out of the park, but probably into the next ballpark.
Jeff OGM
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 08:55:49 AM »

The video seems a bit obtuse to me.  All it "proves" is the qrm effectiveness of SSB operation within a perfectly legal "distance" from AM qso's.  Who's kidding who here?

I'd rather operate the full, rich audio of AM any day.  I'd rather have the best spot on the beach all to myself during the best part of the day, too.  But the "spin" on this video seems to come from a calcified brain...

Jeff
KA1OGM
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »

I'm not sure that this video really makes a point that we want to make.  While it is very nicely done, it provides a few arguments for the opposition to capitalize on.....like we should all be using sharper bandpass receivers.  What it does do however, is give an excellent demonstration of how annoying SSB can be to AMers just trying to operate their mode as it was intended.   I applaud the effort, but I think that the point needs to be made in a more cautious manner.  The protected AM window seems on the surface to be a great idea, but all it really does is further restrict our activity.  It is also interesting to note that the so-called gentlemen's agreement that exists today is really only observed by one side!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015