The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:48:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Time at Hopkinton  (Read 2292 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 08, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »

Let me start by saying WOW!!! You couldn't have asked for better wx, even with the few drops that fell after 10:30 Saturday morning. Absolutely glorious conditions.

I got there in early afternoon after getting a later start than I planned. Did manage to work W1E just before leaving home though, and was cheeky enough to bring a QSL card with me for the contact.  Grin

Paul, 'VJB got my 'fest off to an excellent start by taking me over to his car where he had the desperately-needed rectifier cover for my 300G transmitter project. Without a doubt, it was the best thing I hauled home and I cannot thank Paul enough for his generosity and remembering to bring it along.

Spent a lot of time looking for deals with Larry NE1S (not just anyone, NE1S), Bruce W1UJR and Joe 'PJP. We all suffer terribly from that same affliction, the packrat gene. Fortunately for us, we've been at it long enough that there wasn't a lot there we "needed", although Joe did score a decent Globb Scout.

Excellent dinner gathering at Cheers in Cancahd with the crew. We started out with about 20 but a delay in being able to get served pared us down to 8. G had the idea that we might want to call ahead and it's good that we did. 'UJR did the honors and made our reservation under the A.M.S. (Amplitude Modulation Society). My task for next fall is to check out the new (?) brewpub in town and report back, it's time to try a new place.

Actually operated W1E later in the night, around 12:30 or so. Managed to work Chris in S. Florida and a fellow near Chicago, along with The Slab Bacon and Ken, W2DTC. Ken and Frank were the channel masters for sure. Turned the mic over to Q to work Old Buzzard John and called it a night.

Got to meet and re-meet many folks. Socializing is always the best part for me. Funniest part was seeing a fellow I've chatted with for years and have known as the guy with the beautiful Radiomarine receiver. Spoke with him Friday about the receiver, was surprised when he called me by name Saturday morning. It was Tom, W2ILA. I've exchanged email with him for few years now and tried to meet him at every fester, but never seemed to find him. Seems I was looking for a guy from a picture online of Paul moving a 300G from Florida. The guy with him in the picture looks 7 feet tall, Tom is actually closer to my height. What a hoot.

So to sum it up, it was a fantastick time for me. Not only to meet new folks like Frank, Tom, Pete, and 'ZGC Thom, but also to see the usual suspects. Got some good pointers from 'JJ and others on what kind of antenna to use after moving south, working VE3 Chris from down that way certainly boosted my hopes.

Tnx to all, looking forward to next fall.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:17 AM »

Hey Todd, yeah,
Tom carries himself like a pretty big guy when confronted with 1300 pound guy.

Glad you two finally met.

* NoFit.jpg (114.53 KB, 800x600 - viewed 376 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:13:52 AM »

I was thinking of the picture on Barry's site with someone leaning on the door frame. I assumed that was you, and the other guy in the background (who looks 7 feet tall) was Tom. Now that I've met Tom, maybe that's him with his back to the camera and not you?

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/300G.htm

Anyhow, yes - great to meet Tom and most amusing to find out I've been talking with him at the 'fest for several years, now. Two people merged into one, in a matter of seconds. Good seeing you also, Paul. Thanks for making the long trip up, hope you enjoyed it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015