The AM Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:32:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Alleges Lack of FCC Action  (Read 12315 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: April 03, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »

Your dues at work; BPL problems:

http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/04/03/100/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:28:02 PM »

Pete said:
Your dues at work

Not mine Lips sealed

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:47:15 AM »

Mine either.

Hams Allege ARRL ineptitude.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:06:20 AM »

Man, feel the love  Grin

This issue, and particularly Ed Hare's tireless work on it, is the only reason I joined again.  You may be less than satisfied with the outcome, but there's nobody else in the amateur community fighting this BS to the extent that the ARRL is. 

Money well spent, IMHO, even tho QST is a despicable POS and they proved once again that the ol' boy network is alive and well so that new and novel ideas are fully suppressed.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »

John if I could earmark the money I would do so, because I agree with you on Ed Hare's work.
Maybe we should develop the BPL Fund, and make the ARRL provide matching money.
They would get our show of support, and have economic incentive.
A grant like this would also require them to disclose their books to receive the money, and put some political pressure on them to avoid looking petulant if they were to refuse our generosity.
k3zrf

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »

I don't know, Paul. I think it would be easier to get a ten dollar bill out of my ex-wife's wallet Shocked

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »

Phil, imagine if a thousand of us on this site alone successfully plucked a 10-spot out of the wife's pocketbook. That's hard to ignore. $20,000 won't pay half of Ed Hare's salary, but the motivation is to torture the League into administrative reform so we don't have to gin up an independent effort to fight internet over the power lines.

That would cost a lot more money than $20K, at least to do it right.

I think there's plenty of anti-League sediment out there and this would be an excellent spanking if we make them our constituents for just cause.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »

It warms my heart to hear you guys discussing possible donations to the ARRL fund of your choice. To aid you in your selection, go here:

http://www.arrl.org/development/funds.html#top

Specifically for BPL:

https://www.arrl.org/forms/fdefense/2006/spring/

And, if you are planning to kick off anytime soon:

http://www.arrl.org/development/will.html#top

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 05:22:58 PM »

Paul said:
John if I could earmark the money I would do so, because I agree with you on Ed Hare's work.

I'm all for helping Ed out. I remember he was the only one from the (be)League(d) that would rise up to us over on the AM Window. There was some sparring but all saw each others view. I can't condemn the man because of his employer. He does do fine work in his field. Now if we can get him cash with out the ARRgghhL being able to get their grimey hands on it or take credit for it, that would be an accomplishment.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Art
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »

"Now if we can get him cash with out the ARRgghhL being able to get their grimey hands on it or take credit for it, that would be an accomplishment."

Much as I am uninclined to support a parasite . . . the phrase "there's no limit to what you can do if you don't care who gets the credit" comes to mind. However, "starve a rat today" definitely feels better  since Pete has removed most if not all possibility of support for the ARRL from this venue with his gloating and pompous response. . . who is driving the bus for a separate effort?

-ap
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 08:31:18 PM »

Like everything else the Bus has been outsourced to India.
And you know what that means, choonday !

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 08:34:01 PM »

Pete you have misunderstood when you said:
It warms my heart to hear you guys discussing possible donations to the ARRL fund of your choice.

No one has proposed that.
Art
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:17:16 AM »

Yes, Pete can be incredibly, and apparently intentionally, obtuse when it comes to fragments of sentences appearing to support his obsession . . . and incredibly astute when it comes to remembering portions of facts to discredit others who don't face Newington five times a day to pray . . . . . the key word is incredible. It tends to derail input from the amateur community to the ARRL.
I wish he could understand how poorly this behavior represents him and the ARRL . . . albeit an accurate representation in the case of the ARRL IMO . . . I don't believe this is accurate for Pete, in general . . .

-ap
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 12:45:25 PM »

Big threat to future of ham radio. Must-send-money-to-Newington. Big bad wolf. Send $.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 10:04:19 PM »

One issue that does not seem to have been brought up regarding BPL is safety. Since the transformers used to provide 230/115 volt residential service are not very efficient at transferring RF energy (such as the digital BPL carriers), the power companies use capacitors to bridge the primary and secondary windings. Capacitors can and do fail.

Phil, transformers fail as well. That's why the NEC grounding requirements. If that bypass cap fails, the same as the transformer shorting,  it's going to apply the line primary voltage (14 KV or whatever) across the low-Z transformer secondary (240 volts), instantly blowing out the couple-of-amp fuse up on the pole. No way the secondary is going to rise to the same level.
C'mon...You know better!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015