The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 11:08:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 32-v2  (Read 5990 times)
ka6vec
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:29 AM »

Little info on my 32v2 rig hasent been in use for at least 20 yrs
  after cheking all tubes except rk4d32 witch my tester doesent test and some cleaning I put it on  varicak brought the voltage up to 110 volts over two day period
  no smoke  Cheesy put it on dummy load at7.293 cw she loaded 80 watts with some
 weak tubes.  807s test about 80%. recieved good copy of manual yesterday.
 looking pretty good at this point. HOPE to have it on air soon after replaceing
 a few tubes. well my inthuseasm got the better of me had to tell some body
 thanks for your indugence.

73 Floyd ka6vec
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:55:23 AM »

Hey Floyd, glad you kept the smoke inside the cabinet where it belongs.
The 6AG7 buffer tube in the multiplier stages is tough to wiggle out of there, yes?
But that and the loctals have to be up to snuff to get enough grid drive if and when you ever do an alignment. Then you will find that all those little bakelite base ceramic trimmer capacitors have dead spots as you adjust them. Sometimes some compression and some Caig DeOxiT will get them right.
On 40 meters watch for the fixed micas in the Final tank to heat up. They fail with age. Also be careful with the LV transformer, a known weak spot. Many have been rewound by Peter Dahl. Scratchy mic gain pot and that's all I can think of as typical stuff from a transmitter sitting around.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:11:07 AM »

I think Fair Radio has 4D32s
ka6vec
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:58:15 AM »

Hey Floyd, glad you kept the smoke inside the cabinet where it belongs.
The 6AG7 buffer tube in the multiplier stages is tough to wiggle out of there, yes?
But that and the loctals have to be up to snuff to get enough grid drive if and when you ever do an alignment. Then you will find that all those little bakelite base ceramic trimmer capacitors have dead spots as you adjust them. Sometimes some compression and some Caig DeOxiT will get them right.
On 40 meters watch for the fixed micas in the Final tank to heat up. They fail with age. Also be careful with the LV transformer, a known weak spot. Many have been rewound by Peter Dahl. Scratchy mic gain pot and that's all I can think of as typical stuff from a transmitter sitting around.
      Thanks for the tips Paul need all the help I can get also thanks to wa1gfz
       will print your post   73  Floyd
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »

Then you will find that all those little bakelite base ceramic trimmer capacitors have dead spots as you adjust them. Sometimes some compression and some Caig DeOxiT will get them right.

I've brought several 32V series back to life, always a challange, but they work so well that the effect is worth it. Paul makes a good point on those nasty trimmers, a real headache for sure.
Here is what I do with "stuck" trimmers in the Collins "A Line" gear.

1) Blast them with DeOxit (as per Paul's suggestion).

2) Using a small flathead screwdriver, very carefully apply side pressure to the adjustment screw on the trimmers, just a slight amount of pressure, first on one side, then on the other, this gentle rocking motion usually frees them up.

3) If, after the DeOxit blast and pressure trick, the cap does not rotate freely, repeat as needed.
If you crank on the trimmers without breaking free them they often fail internally and are a real bear to replace.

See http://www.brucehowes.com/collins_32v3.htm

ka6vec
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:19:21 PM »

Thanks good info I will check out the site.  One of the thanges I like about
     ham radio some one is always willing to help seems like more so on AM.

73 Floyd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »

One thing to be very careful of is the 5Z4 rectifier tube on the far left rear of the chassis.  It runs extremely hot, and can help along the failure of the LV transformer that Paul mentioned. In fact, mine even has a little tar that has seeped out onto the chassis as a result. I've used a piece of foil between the tube and transformer in an attempt to reflect the heat away, but it's not terribly effective. The next step is to see if a Weber Copper Cap will do the trick.

As Bruce says, when they're working right, they're tough to beat for a solid 100 watts of decent AM. Easy to operate as well.

Good luck with it -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka6vec
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:17:21 AM »

Thanks Todd  did notice the 5z4 ran  on the hot side. I will keep an eye on it.
                Floyd
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 09:22:49 AM »

As Bruce says, when they're working right, they're tough to beat for a solid 100 watts of decent AM. Easy to operate as well.

Good luck with it -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

Did you "100 watts" Todd? I don't need no stinkin' 100 watts.

Oh no, I run 2,500 watts with my "Killer Bee DX 250", oh yea, I be whirl-wide.  Shocked

* 1008A.jpg (69.32 KB, 640x480 - viewed 385 times.)
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 09:27:06 AM »

Frank Krize, K5SVC may have them as well. k5svc@bkbank.com

He has a warehouse full of tubes.
xe1yzy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 12:08:09 PM »

Frank Krize, K5SVC may have them as well. k5svc@bkbank.com

He has a warehouse full of tubes.

Surplus sales of nebraska have a lot of those tubes for $20

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/TubeSpecials.html

I bought several parts from this guys and they have an excellent service,  I have 2 ,32V, the 32V2, and 32V3, they are great radios.

Best regards to all

TVI WHAT TVI?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015