The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 09:56:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1950 Gates Radio booklet  (Read 3676 times)
John K5PRO

« on: April 18, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »

I just picked up a fascinating short form catalog of 1950 Gates Radio AM transmitters and accessories. It is a glittery deluxe production, with eloquent text and photography. For instance, "Engineered for a lifetime performance - massive and smartly styled - attractive to the quality eye, the Gates BC-1F transmitter is completely new from oscillator to power amplifier."...."Probably more premeditated engineering has been placed in the new Gates air conditioned one thousand watt transmitter than any similar equipment in broadcast history. Gates engineers are practical men, too. The new dependable Gates BC-1F broadcasting equipment does have, as well as near perfection electronically, good mechanical engineering, studied parts placement, distinguished styling and - complete air conditioning."

There are 8 pages including full interior photos of this model alone. This was the original quad 833 rig for Gates, I am guessing, using a pair of 845s as audio drivers and 813 as an RF driver. It weighed 3100 lbs packed, 72 inches wide and 33 deep. Definitely beats the Raytheon RA1000 for being a hulk. BTW, the BC5B was 9600 lbs, 165 inches wide and 48 inches deep! Nowadays you can by a Broadcast Electronics 50 kW solid state in a smaller package!

Beside the more common BC250GY, there is the rare BC500D, Customaire transmitter. This dense unit has a pair of 810s modulating a 450TH, driven by an 813. It weighed 1500 lbs packed, was 36" wide and 26" deep, compared the -GY which was quad 810s, and 40" wide by 33" deep at 900 lbs.   

Parker Gates was doing well in the post war broadcast station growth period, evident by the marketing and advertising  in this information. Main competition was likely to be RCA and Collins, for this bread and butter business.

I plan to scan and upload the entire booklet, on this website soon. Harold Hallikainen has gathered a nice collection of old manuals and brochures:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/BroadcastHistory/
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »

Premeditated Engineering !  I love it !

It was an era of machissmo.
Gates engineers are practical men, too
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:33:04 PM »

Gates engineers are stout-hearted men (and they sleeps all night, too).

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
John K5PRO

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »

See descriptions of manly Gates engineering, and of some of the massive boatanchors that they designed for 1950!

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/BroadcastHistory/index.php/GatesRadioCompany

The booklet has been scanned and uploaded to this site. It is there in two resolutions, for those who might be on a low speed interconnection to their ISP. The bigger one is much better for detail though.

w1guh
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »

Loved reading the 50's copy.  It's priceless.  I especially liked a feature of the MO-2890 frequency monitor described on page 28:

"A phone jack is located just below the meter to provide for oral monitoring."

Sounds like a FUN thing for a broadcast engineer to do.   Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015