The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:05:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Antenna Causes Stir  (Read 7307 times)
w3bv
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:44:13 AM »

Be sure to view the video....

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=4732957
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »

So here is the question.  The story seems to imply that the Federal Law giving him a right to an antenna/tower is trumping all State and Local laws trying to restricting it.  If so, what Federal Law, and if this is the case, why is anyone havng any legal arguments over antennas/towers?

David, K3TUE
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »

"what Federal Law" ?

PRB-1

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »

I don't see what is so "unsightly" about a tower and beam in that cracker-box development, which appears to have houses nearly jammed up against one another.  What about the utility pole that is also visible in the photo?  They might have a better case against the tower if it were placed right in the middle of some scenic outlook, but a surburban development like that has very little "scenic" to begin with.  I don't find the antenna any more a monstrosity than the houses that  surround it.

People will piss and moan about ANYTHING.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »

Jeeze what a bleak place! That guy should put a couple of junk Caddys up on blocks right in front and really put a twist in those old biddies undies Grin 

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Jeff OGM
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:09:46 PM »

I wonder if he can crank up the tower remotely while running all the servos in the StepIR beam, and disrupt the local BPL service on that pole...

Here's his callsign on QRZ...
http://www.qrz.com/callsign/WA5VSK

Jeff
KA1OGM
wa2zdy
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

No, PRB1 and not much else will trump a housing covenant or private housing association rule.   The feeling is that you moved to such a place and signed the agreement voluntarily.   If ARRL gets that one beat I might just feel forced to rejoin.  I don't see it happening though.  I always considered myself lucky to get my satellite dish up and only have to go back and forth a couple of times with the association's lawyer before they gave up.  To fight for a ham antenna?  I dunno but we can hope.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »

Put up a tv ant. on top of the beam???

What? Me worry?
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 07:10:45 PM »

Lubboc Texas eh ?? He should tell them that the tower is meant as a tribute to Buddy  Holly.  The media article did put in a good word for the guy, explaining that he has helped out in disaster  communication and that it goes beyong a mere hobby whim.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »

Doing a quick search at the ARRL site I find that Texas is one of those states that wrote PRB-1 into state law. I still don't know how that got him past deed restrictions unless Texas law is written to supercede deeds restrictions and covenants.

Bill KA8WTK
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

Doing a quick search at the ARRL site I find that Texas is one of those states that wrote PRB-1 into state law. I still don't know how that got him past deed restrictions unless Texas law is written to supercede deeds restrictions and covenants.

It is not.  Lubbock city ordinances allow ham antennas up to 65 ft. as I recall.  Amarillo used their ordinance to write theirs in the early 70's.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:25:25 PM »

That video tells it all.  What a bunch of busy body twats with nothing to do but gossip about nothing.

Those porkers need a REEEALLL Man's antenna in their neighborhood to have something to complain about:

http://home.comcast.net/~k1jj/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1856859.html

Around here my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile away. They're friendly and cool. But, I understand the neighbors one mile away call this place "Area 51"  ... no kidding..  Grin   

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
John Holotko

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 11:54:56 PM »

Who was that great American who said, "when you can see the smoke from your neighbors chimney it is time to move on" ?? That holds double if you are a ham. Seriously, it is nice to have some space (like 1/4, 1/2, 1 mile or more) between you and the nearest neighbors. Unfortunately I don't have that. I live in a pretty congested area. But my wire antennas are hard to see.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w1guh
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 08:16:56 AM »

Outstanding pix of outstanding radios, Tom.  Tnx.

Only thing missing is what you've got up for 75 & 160, except, of course, for the quad.

Enjoyed the pix lots.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 09:17:25 AM »

That video tells it all.  What a bunch of busy body twats with nothing to do but gossip about nothing.

Those porkers need a REEEALLL Man's antenna in their neighborhood to have something to complain about:

T

I see in your photo gallery you have a pic of one of them at home. How'd ya get that?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
ve6pg

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

...could'nt find the video...has it been removed?...tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:07:50 PM »

Yeah, it looks like the video has been removed.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:37:16 PM »

Truly awesome Tom!!!!!  Cheesy

http://home.comcast.net/~k1jj/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1856859.html

Around here my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile away. They're friendly and cool. But, I understand the neighbors one mile away call this place "Area 51"  ... no kidding..  Grin   

T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015