The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon Fios Fiber-Optic Install at GF Labs  (Read 12681 times)
John Holotko

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 02:15:31 AM »

Ultimately FIOS will be fine provided I can integrate my network as seamlessly as possible. My network is 100% Linux and Unix with a couple of Windows clients. Verizon FIOS doesn't support Unix but there is no reason I can forsee as to why it won't work, communications protocols are communications protocols regardless of the OS. I presently use a Linux box as a Internet gateway (via PPP), router, firewall, mail server,(and a few other things). If I can get  it to talk PPPoE to FIOS that would be the easiest and most  seamlessly transparent configuration with minimal network reconfiguration. About the ONLY noticeable change would be dramatically faster data transfer between my little network and the outside world.

Meanwhile I need to set up a wireless access point so a laptop (or two) can be used around here without having to drag a length of category 5 cable all over the place Smiley

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KE1GF
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 01:08:31 PM »

John,
I have 4 unix boxes here and 4 windows machines. Two of the windows machines are laptops. One of the laptops is connected via 802.11.g. You should have no problems. The only snag is the host ports are blocked for the residential contract. When you have the residential contract the connection is PPPoE. With the business contract you just connect a 10/100 switch to the cat 5 comming from the network interface, it's all done with IP encapsulated over ethernet.

I did buy an adtran router but I'm not using it right at the moment, if I ever build a more elaborate network it will come in handy ie subnets and dynamic routing. The Adtran supports Link-State and Distance-Vector dynamic routing. And much more too.

So basically I have my BSD server running directly connected to the internet with a static IP. Also I still use my basic D-Link broadband router/firewall/NAT, except that it has a static IP on the WAN side. It's not really complicated.

-Bill 'GF
John Holotko

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »

John,
I have 4 unix boxes here and 4 windows machines. Two of the windows machines are laptops. One of the laptops is connected via 802.11.g. You should have no problems. The only snag is the host ports are blocked for the residential contract. When you have the residential contract the connection is PPPoE. With the business contract you just connect a 10/100 switch to the cat 5 comming from the network interface, it's all done with IP encapsulated over ethernet.

I did buy an adtran router but I'm not using it right at the moment, if I ever build a more elaborate network it will come in handy ie subnets and dynamic routing. The Adtran supports Link-State and Distance-Vector dynamic routing. And much more too.

So basically I have my BSD server running directly connected to the internet with a static IP. Also I still use my basic D-Link broadband router/firewall/NAT, except that it has a static IP on the WAN side. It's not really complicated.

-Bill 'GF

Okay thanks. So in other words what you are saying is that I should have no problem with the Unix/Linux boxes and FIOS. Now,  retgarding Verizon blocking the host ports with the residential contracts I assume you're referring to stuff like port 80 (standard http), port 21 (ftp), port 25 SMPT.  That should be no problem. I do run those services now but they are ONLY available for users on my local network. So thosze will continue to work fine since I don;t want them accessible to the outside world anyway. Then therer is always the issue of "non-standart ports" Smiley

My only problem with VZ  and port blocking is that I have heard that VZ blocks outgoing/incoming SMTP traffic (port 25) to residential customers to all but Verizons mail servers. Thus residential customers are forced to use verizons email servers. That largely sucks for me because I currently have several third party email providers who's servers I access and once I switch to Verizon I won;t be able to use them anymore and that really bites. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more a standard practice among ISP's to cut down on SPAM.  Fortunately there is a way around this, many email providers are enabling users to access their servers on nonstandard ports. Since most ISP's don;t block all ports it's a workaround for cases where port 25 is blocked.

Okay as far as the connection to VZ  FIOS via a computer configured as a router or using a dedicated router I would need to set my router to talk PPPoE to the VZ FIOS side of the connection and set it to use something like DHCP (or directly assign addresses) on my side of the network along with my existing switch. Then all one needs to do is simply plug in to the switch and they'll have full access  to all network services including the Internet.

When I was in school back in my PDP-11 and VAXen days I denver imagined I'd be thinking of multiple machines and high speed network configurations...for the HOME !!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KE1GF
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 03:35:17 PM »

Hehe, I still humor myself when I go to the bookcase and pull the '63 Encyclopedia and look up things like computers.  Cool

I don't think back when I got connected to the internet in the early 90s, that I would have a fiber optic cable running to my house for 34.99/mo in a little over 10 years.

Yeah right BPL and broadband nirvana what a load of bull.  Grin

-Bill 'GF
KE1GF
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 11:26:14 AM »

My only problem with VZ  and port blocking is that I have heard that VZ blocks outgoing/incoming SMTP traffic (port 25) to residential customers to all but Verizons mail servers. Thus residential customers are forced to use verizons email servers. That largely sucks for me because I currently have several third party email providers who's servers I access and once I switch to Verizon I won;t be able to use them anymore and that really bites. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more a standard practice among ISP's to cut down on SPAM.  Fortunately there is a way around this, many email providers are enabling users to access their servers on nonstandard ports. Since most ISP's don;t block all ports it's a workaround for cases where port 25 is blocked.

John, you don't have to worry about outgoing connections, they only filter incomming connections. I don't know what the complete range of ports that they block. It's to late to run a port-scan on all 65536 TCP/UDP ports now that I've switched contracts. I guess you're in trouble if your third party email addresses are setup to forward to your own personal SMTP server. For most customers this isn't a bad idea, cause of all the Windows RPC stuff and the broadcasting. Maybe they use triggering, too... who knows.

-Bill 'GF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015