The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 07:39:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2WAS will probably be re-issued soon  (Read 4412 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« on: March 18, 2006, 07:02:42 PM »

Looks like KG2MY has applied for Joe's old call under the vanity system.

Click on applications for 3/16/06

http://www.vanityhq.com/
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »

Whoops. Maybe not. Click on predictions and the guy has a footnote listing problems.
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:29:55 PM »

That's got to be one of the most cluttered up sites around. I couldn't find the call and couldn't find the foot note or whatever.
Gave up.

Joe was a great guy. I didn't know you knew him Dave. In his last years (passed away in 2002 according to a profile on amwindow.org) he was not on 75 meters anymore, a victim of cheap telephones from China that invaded his closely-packed neighborhood in Bethpage, Long Island.

But I sure remember hours listening to him and some of the other Tall Ships of the 1970s.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:30:54 PM »

I just checked QRZ and he's good to 3-27-2007. Last Friday night I was calling up the dead on 75. I think I called out his call sign as well as many other SK’s. This is a Dead Net that I call up from time to time to see if any of our belovied SK's may have a way to check in from the other side. In the three years that I have been trying to call up the dead, I have yet to raise anyone. Cry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »

Yup, Joe was one of the seasoned ops who put up with my questions when I first got on 75 AM in May of '86.

Remember the old Ozona Bob role calls on 10AM? You could use most of the same calls now for the dead net Terry. "Hey shunny, I washen't sure that you were shtill above ground".
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »

This is a Dead Net that I call up from time to time to see if any of our belovied SK's may have a way to check in from the other side. In the three years that I have been trying to call up the dead, I have yet to raise anyone. Cry

you need propigation to do that......   klc

What? Me worry?
W3LSN

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »

Joe was a great guy..... In his last years (passed away in 2002 according to a profile on amwindow.org) he was not on 75 meters anymore, a victim of cheap telephones from China that invaded his closely-packed neighborhood in Bethpage, Long Island.

But I sure remember hours listening to him and some of the other Tall Ships of the 1970s.

Joe was indeed a gentleman and all around great guy. I miss him. He was one of the first AM-ers I heard when I got into this hobby in the 70's and I remember running into him quite often at the old LIMARC hamfests on Long Island. Joe was kind enough to invite me back to his shack to drink 807's along with Mike WA2VNI and I got to see his famous single 813 rig. I recently rediscovered some parts that he graciously gave to me long ago and which are now finding their way into my own homebrew 813 rig project.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 09:17:18 AM »

He also ran an 833A for a short time. Does anyone other than me remember that rig?

He seemed to have fun with ham radio. Dirk WA2CYT had him on fone patch with me some years back. He was surprised to hear from Dirk. He didn't know me. He forgot or didn't realize he was on the air and dropped one F bomb. Dirk says, you shouldn’t say that on the air. Joe goes woops.

RIP till the next Dead Net Joe.  Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015