The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:54:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA1HLR running 2.5 watts on 75M  (Read 6340 times)
WB2CAU

« on: March 04, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »

Tim, WA1HLR, is attending an SWL convention in Culpsville, PA this weekend.  He is staying in a motel and has strung a 1/2 wave wire across the parking lot.  Coupled to this antenna is a 2.5 watt output homebrew transmitter.  He was doing remarkably well this morning on 3.875 MHz.  Unfortunately, there was some idiot on frequency intentionally interfering with him in the early part but he finally got tired and left. 

Anyway, after I had a brief contact with Tim, I started rolling tape and have about an hour's worth here for your listening pleasure so you can hear how well he was doing to this location, at least 150 miles from his motel.

http://intergate.com/~eric3088/WA1HLR030406.mp3

I have posted these recordings on occassion in the past but am curious if anyone actually listens to them.  Please let me know if it's of interest. Thanks.

Eric - WB2CAU

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:22:36 PM »

...fb on timmy...ya,i listen to this stuff,great fun...tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
kc2ifr
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 07:39:08 AM »

Thanks Eric,
I think its great that u post the recordings.
Thanks again,
Bill
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »

Tim was heard here S9 on the meter of BOTH the R-388 and the TS-440, solid, little QSB.
(QTH is between Catskill NY and Albany NY)

It should be obvious to all who attempt to get a signal on the bands that that burnbox in the Pussbus is obviously for more than burning "garbage." Those burns are sacrifices to Ionos! What else could possibly account for HLR's almost universal signal strength??   Grin Cheesy Cool Shocked Undecided Roll Eyes

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »

http://intergate.com/~eric3088/WA1HLR030406.mp3

I have posted these recordings on occassion in the past but am curious if anyone actually listens to them.  Please let me know if it's of interest. Thanks.

Eric - WB2CAU

Somebody needs to find that sweeper guy and punch his two front teeth right down his throat. He should take that crap up the the chicken band where he belongs.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
ve6pg

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »

ERIC...NOT JUST TIMMY,ANYTHING THAT IS HAPPENING,THAT WE MAY HAVE MISSED...I WOULD RECORD THIS STUFF TOO,IF I KNEW HOW...I GUESS I'M TOO MUCH OF A  NUTS/BOLTS/ RIVETS KINDA GUY...
...KEEP 'M FLYING...TIM...SK..

KA1ZGC
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »

Tim was heard here S9 on the meter of BOTH the R-388 and the TS-440, solid, little QSB.
(QTH is between Catskill NY and Albany NY)

It should be obvious to all who attempt to get a signal on the bands that that burnbox in the Pussbus is obviously for more than burning "garbage." Those burns are sacrifices to Ionos! What else could possibly account for HLR's almost universal signal strength??   Grin Cheesy Cool Shocked Undecided Roll Eyes

_-_-WBear2GCR

You may have something there, Bear. I was in the pus bus with a rip-roaring trasholine fire going in the woodoline stove when I worked Timmy, and I'll be damned if I didn't hear him extremely well for 2.5 watts into that antenna at that distance in broad daylight.  Shocked

The wire array was an absolute requirement, and even then the QSB would take him completely out at the dips, but I was actually able to work him when there wasn't some teenage puke (who spends his mornings practicing his angry faces  Angry  and "f*ck you"s in the mirror) swishing up and down on a ricebox into a leen-yar, and probably monitoring himself online. Maybe I should have burned a few oil filters and some toilet paper.  Tongue

Minus that very minor distraction, Timmy came through great, and it was a great weekend to be on the air.

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:06:28 PM »

Tom,

Not "woodoline"?

I think it's like Ethylene; Woodolene??

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »

Thanks for posting that Eric.
Was enjoyable to hear what goes on during the work day.

Buddly
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »

...HAD A QSO WITH THE TRON THIS WEEK,WHEN HE WAS "MOBILE",BACK TO MAINE...GUD QSO,AND NOT VERY OFTEN THERE IS AN AM QSO --"TIM SMITH TO TIM SMITH"........TIM...SK...

KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »

Tom,

Not "woodoline"?

I think it's like Ethylene; Woodolene??

_-_-bear

Nope, it's more like gasoline; woodoline, trasholine.

Kerolene, on the other hand...

It's kinda like the rest of the English language, each rule has twelve to twenty-four exceptions.  Roll Eyes

--Thom
Killer Appetizer One Zesty Green Cannabis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015