The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II R13 getting hot...?  (Read 2728 times)
KC4HGH

« on: March 05, 2006, 10:56:01 PM »

Just obtained the rig a few days ago & am going through it...previous owner says he plugged it in & turned it on, checking it out & R13 got hot, suggested replacing C10/11 & C12/13, but by the schematic, C9 is across it- could C9 possibly be going bad & causing this?  I haven't put any power to it, just been spending some time cleaning it up & checking things beforehand.

Everything looks good physically...found where the previous owner replaced the power cord, but forgot to replace the blown caps C41, C42 & C53!  Simple enough caps for the local electronics store....

Also, where's the preferred places for getting original or repro parts for the Viking II?  I want this rig to be up & running correctly.

Thanks!

Bud, KC4HGH
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:32:26 AM »

...BUD..I REPLIED ON THE OTHER POSTING,BUT I RECOMEND REPLACING ALL CAPS,AND RESISTORS...IT WONT HURT TO USE THE HIGHEST VALUE OF CAPS,AND RESISTORS. IF A RESISTOR IS 1/2 WATT,GO HIGHER..1-2 WATTS..SAME WITH CAPS..HIGHER VOLTAGE WONT HURT..DO YOU HAVE THE 122 VFO?..THE PARTS IN THERE REQUIRE HIGHER RATINGS AS WELL..TIM....SK...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KC4HGH

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:11:56 AM »

No, I don't have the 122 VFO, but wish I did!  I'll just go rock-bound for the time being, maybe order a few freqs I operate on now....Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015