The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petitions Run Neck in Neck  (Read 12266 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 01:15:09 PM »

""They only work in foreign nations" and on VHF/UHF frequencies except during band openings and contests."

I have never had a problem conducting a conversation with a friend even during a VHF/UHF contest. (There are a few ops I only find on during such events.) FM calling frequencies are respected.  Band occupancy is high but civility is the order of the day. Sure there are a bunch of mountain toppers calling CQ contest but there is plenty of room because only a small part of the bands is CW/data specific. Occasionally there is a propagation shift and more distant stations find themselves on the same frequency as other ops . . . then someone moves . . . 
All this without the pie being cut up into regulatory fiefdoms and all this in North America XE, VE, W . . . all living, communicating, and working together. Great example!!
Pete, I don't find you in my VHF/UHF logs for the past couple of decades. Have you operated any VHF/UHF contests?
-ap

I have to admit the VHF/UHF contest activity generally is more civilized, under typical propagation type conditions, then what you hear on the HF bands. However, contest activity during a Sporadic E or F2 opening can turn 6 into bedlam. When we had the second sunspot peak around 2001/2002, almost every day from October to early January on 6 meters sounded like 20 meters during a contest.  I would suspect that the majority of us die-hard 6-meter operators just pasted it off as the nature of the excitement. Having to tell the station in Norway, that you’re working, that they’re being somewhat QRM’d by a station in Germany can be a surreal event on 6 meters.

I haven’t submitted a “single-op” contest form in a number of years. Most of the time when I’m operating single-op, I’m doing self-testing. i.e. how many stations can I work in 15 minutes, in an hour, QRP, 1 direction, etc. I’ve also operated in several multi-multi setups here in Jersey and in New England over the last several years. Most multi-multi groups are “serious” contesters. No beer bashes here.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Art
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 02:41:03 PM »

"As I've said many times now, the phone bands need to be expanded.  To deny that is ludicrous.   But anarchy is not the answer either.  And I know (now) that many in the AM community are in favour of 11305.   Yes, ta would give you more room, but would you really fire up an AM roundtable on . . .  say, 3550?    I don't see any of you felows doing that.   11305 will be a disaster of major proportions, which might be exactly what FCC wants. "

I don't know . . . the conspiracy theories abound so I pretty much discount them. Actually, a lot of the AM folks have serious concerns about '05 because it doesn't limit the digis. That you recognize most ops wouldn't fire up on 3550 is an example of the possibility but not the probability of 'anarchy' as it has been so often referred to in postings.
I offered the IARU R2 band plan as a suggestion of how we (amateur radio ops) might behave if we defined our own band plan. I haven't seen anyone really object to it. Once again, those who will not follow a band plan will not follow regulation and those who do follow the band plan need not be constrained by regulation.

-ap
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 03:24:36 PM »

I don't know . . . the conspiracy theories abound so I pretty much discount them. Actually, a lot of the AM folks have serious concerns about '05 because it doesn't limit the digis. That you recognize most ops wouldn't fire up on 3550 is an example of the possibility but not the probability of 'anarchy' as it has been so often referred to in postings.
I offered the IARU R2 band plan as a suggestion of how we (amateur radio ops) might behave if we defined our own band plan. I haven't seen anyone really object to it. Once again, those who will not follow a band plan will not follow regulation and those who do follow the band plan need not be constrained by regulation.
-ap

A disregarding of the regulation(s) is a violation of the law and subject to consequences. A violation of a band plan just makes you a rebel, bad boy, or other descriptive adjectives.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Art
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 04:24:02 PM »

Yes, consider, voluntary bandplans will have 'interpersonal' consequences because the majority of ops who finally get to decide where they will operate will enjoy that freedom and will tend to avoid those who jeopardize it. I would say the consequences would be more likely to be experienced in a voluntary environment than in a regulated but essentially unenforced one.

Even the dreaded bots . . . would be insane to abuse freedom at the risk of unilateral restriction by the FCC. No RM, NPRM, comment, or quarter.

It's a tough concept to accept for many people but the FCC is not going to set up regulations that require more resources to enforce. I can say this with a high degree of certainty after several conversations with FCC folks.

That being said, it will be up to us to lead by example. We may as well have the freedom that goes with such responsibility.

Different bandwidth modes being unable to exist together is a red herring usually brought up at this point in the discussion. It is simply tehcno babble . . The answer is; just like on 60M if you hear someone on the frequency or in your TX bandpass, don't start transmitting. If you encounter a situation where you are party to inadvertent inteference, move. It's not all that complicated.

No 'by mode. . or bandwidth'  frequency restrictions and an internationally agreed upon band plan is the best answer to a very difficult question.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015