The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:31:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Man's Garbage is another man's Junk  (Read 16542 times)
John Holotko

« on: February 07, 2006, 03:07:43 AM »

While back I got  a call from a friend of mine who is a sanitation worker in the Bronx. He told me he was on his garbage route and he found something I might be intereested in. In any  event it turned out to be an hf receiver. He brought it over and much to my dismay I discovered it was a  Lafayette HT-80, certainly not the most desireable receiver in the world. Anyway I brought it inside and looked  it over. All the tubes were in place and electrically it looked sound. Physically it was in remarkably good shape as well. So I connected an antenna, plugged it in, flipped the switch and it  lit up. But not a sound came out of it. Then I realized that I forgot to connect a speaker to it (it has no internal speaker). So I hooked up a speaker flipped it on and discovered that it works perfectly. Afterwards I cleaned the tuning caps, replaced a few caps inside and was really surprised by how well the thing worked. While it is certainly not the most desireable old HF receiver  it does sound pretty darned good listening to AM, not too bad on SSB  and the sensitivity is quite good .It does drift pretty  bad for at least the first hour that it is turned on. After being on for a while it's pretty darned stable.  In any event not all that  bad for a piece of gear that someone discarded and threw into the trash.  My sanitation connection  keeps his eyes out for me and has also found me a 31 band rack mount eq, and a couple of signal generators, all in 100% perfect working order.  This is not to say  that I furnish my entire station from the trash but, it is amazing what some  people will  just simply toss away. Wonder if anyoner else has had experience with salvaged equipment that someone just tossed away Huh

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:00:36 AM »

A very filthy 51J-4 that was thrown out years ago and rescued by a co-worker, who had it in his basement for years.  Under the grime it was almost perfect.  Also, an SX-28 from the same guy.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »

Hi Johns,

The Super Pro I recently received was headed to the garbage heep if I hadn't taken it !

Thanks to JNies help and advice it spews Angel Music every time I'm on the air !!!!

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:01:05 AM »

The lower two-thirds of my BC-610-E (power supply and modulator deck in cabinet) were headed for trash pickup.  Three years later I located a top RF deck that was just lying around someone's basement.  Had a marriage ceremony, and created a new BC-610-E.

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »

Hey Herb,
Your 610 spent some time in my yard before that. I think I still have a few parts from it kicking around. The transformer is up the road in my old 4-1000A rig with a second one across a 240 volt line. fc
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »

This is not to say  that I furnish my entire station from the trash but, it is amazing what some  people will  just simply toss away. Wonder if anyoner else has had experience with salvaged equipment that someone just tossed away

Quite a bit of my station came from the dumpster or curbside. Most of the rest was given to me, or purchased from fleamarkets, classified ads and estate sales.  My station consists over 90% of stuff that someone else didn't want and had or would have discarded.

Even the building I use for a shack was rescued from demolition, and given to me by the previous owner back in 1990 for having it moved from their property to mine.

A church about 1/2 mile from here decided they had enough money for a new building, and decided to get rid of the 1930-vintage, one room schoolhouse they had been using.  I just happened to catch it the day the bulldozer was supposed to come knock it down, but didn't show.  They agreed to let me have it if I could get it moved.  By sundown that day I had arranged for a housemover to relocate the building.  Total cost, including moving the building and materials I purchased to build a foundation and make repairs, $4500.  Not bad for a 24' X 32' building with 12' ceiling, complete with working air conditioning.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

My CE-100V, SX-88, one of the Viking II's I had, and an unbuilt SB-640 ext. VFO were all found by the curbside waiting for the trashman. All found in pre-ebay days.

John, the Lafayette you have there is a HE-80. It was made by Trio for Lafayette. Not one of our better performers but a nice looking receiver.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »

My CE-100V, SX-88, one of the Viking II's I had, and an unbuilt SB-640 ext. VFO were all found by the curbside waiting for the trashman. All found in pre-ebay days.

John, the Lafayette you have there is a HE-80. It was made by Trio for Lafayette. Not one of our better performers but a nice looking receiver.

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it I think I remember hearing about the same  receiver being sold in other  countries but under a different  name & number. I also remember seeing the HE-80 in the old Lafayette catalogs. It dates back to the early - mid 60's  if I remember correct ??

Yes, it is indeed I nice looking receiver, sitting beside some  of  the other equipment on my bench it does look pretty  nice. Performance wise I it falls at the lower  end of the spectrum but yet it isn't too shabby  either. Actually it's somewhat better  than I thought it would be. I've  used  it for listening to AM on 75 and 160  and it doesn't sound bad.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it I think I remember hearing about the same  receiver being sold in other  countries but under a different  name & number. I also remember seeing the HE-80 in the old Lafayette catalogs. It dates back to the early - mid 60's  if I remember correct ??

Yes, it is indeed I nice looking receiver, sitting beside some  of  the other equipment on my bench it does look pretty  nice. Performance wise I it falls at the lower  end of the spectrum but yet it isn't too shabby  either. Actually it's somewhat better  than I thought it would be. I've  used  it for listening to AM on 75 and 160  and it doesn't sound bad.

HE-80 ad's ran for about a year in various Lafayette catalogs and flyers but we had no receiver to sell. Delays in production I believe we were told. In its place popped up a HA-225 which was somewhat similar in style and performance. Finally, the HE-80 ads were dropped and the HA-225 ad made its appearance in the catalog. Since catalog production starts many months prior to be issued, by the time the catalog was issued and mailed, the HE-80 finally made its appearance into our stock. THe HA-225 was immediately dropped from stock. The next catalog year brought the HE-80 ad back but, by the time the catalog got issued, the HE-80 was discontinued. One of the many merry-go-round stories we had at Lafayette.

K1MVP
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »

John,
I know what you mean by "garbage" rigs.--I "restored" a corroded and real bad
FT-101B about a year ago,--had to get new finals, and fix some of the wiring,
as the power transformer had overheated, and cleaned up the chassis and front panel. The rig was stored in a damp cellar for years, and it did look it.

It had bad relays, and the meter was inop.
I finally did get it to work, as it was DOA when I first got it.
It now works on all bands, and modes,SSB, AM  and CW.
It could use an alignment, as its not as sensitive as my FT-101E which has all the
AM mods.
Thing is, about an FT-101,--they sound like C**P on AM without the am filter,
and the HLR mods.
May just keep the FT-101B and use it on CW, as the AM filter is a bit pricey.
Paid about 100 bucks for the one in my 101E.

73, K1MVP

P.S,--This old rig is still a lot cheaper than a new qrp rig,-and puts out more power on
        all bands, than a K1 elecraft, etc, etc, and is very easy to work on.    
wa2zdy
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »

That HE80 made by Trio . . .  keep in mind, Trio is better known these days as Kenwood.

I had a TS511S that was marked "Trio" - before the Kenwood name made it onto ham gear here in the US.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »

Hey Herb,
Your 610 spent some time in my yard before that. I think I still have a few parts from it kicking around. The transformer is up the road in my old 4-1000A rig with a second one across a 240 volt line. fc

I remember your telling me that, Frank.  But all I got from Dave Smith was the RF deck.  What was left of the rest of it was in pretty sorry shape in his basement after you pulled the goodies out of it.   I didn't need that stuff, anyhow--only the RF deck.  I think that at some point Corky had that rig and ran it red hot. 

Some years ago you sent me some other parts from the RF deck, which I appreciated greatly, such as the brackets for mounting the final plate tuning cap and the vacuum padder.  I'd still love to get ahold of the front panel pocket that holds the tuning charts.  Don't know where that ever went.  Bill, W1CKI sent me the name plate for the rig, and some knobs.  You guys have been very helpful in restoring that old guy.  Thanks, Frank!

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 07:33:50 PM »

That HE80 made by Trio . . .  keep in mind, Trio is better known these days as Kenwood.

I had a TS511S that was marked "Trio" - before the Kenwood name made it onto ham gear here in the US.

Here's some of the history:

December 1946 Establishes Kasuga Radio Co., Ltd.
January 1950 Renamed Kasuga Radio Industry Corporation
January 1960 Renamed Trio Electronics, Inc.
December 1980 Launches Corporate Identity activities, and determines Kenwood as the corporate brand
June 1986 Renamed Kenwood Corporation

There was also a range of time (roughly middle 70's to middle 80's) where their products were branded with the name Trio-Kenwood.

For all the history and dates, go here:
http://www.kenwood.co.jp/en/corporate/history/index.html

John Holotko

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:49:43 PM »

Thanks Pete.Quite interesting and jogged my memory. Yes, I remember hearing a while back  that Trio eventually morphed  into Kenwood. Thanks for the link as well.

k7yoo

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 11:01:33 PM »

Sounds like AMers are 1st class dumpster divers

The 21E that is assembled in my shack was next to the dumpster when I picked it up--the only reason it wasn't IN the dumpster is King Kong wasn't on duty the day they dragged it out of the transmitter hut.
Skip

wa2zdy
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 11:29:57 PM »

Thanks for that info Pete.  I don't know how old the TS511 was, but it was a hybrid with more than just the driver and finals being hollow state.  It was also a piece of junk.

I had a TS820 that had the "Trio-Kenwood" name.  I think that was purchased in 77 or 78.

Trio made stuff for others too.  The Drake TR22 and TR33 2m rigs were made by them I know.  And of course now we know about the HE80.

Thanks again, I enjoy history stuff like that.

And speaking of Kenwood, Pete did you know you're listed on their website as a source for no longer available Kenwood manuals?  Cool.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »

Thanks for that info Pete.  I don't know how old the TS511 was, but it was a hybrid with more than just the driver and finals being hollow state.  It was also a piece of junk.

I had a TS820 that had the "Trio-Kenwood" name.  I think that was purchased in 77 or 78.

Trio made stuff for others too.  The Drake TR22 and TR33 2m rigs were made by them I know.  And of course now we know about the HE80.

Thanks again, I enjoy history stuff like that.

And speaking of Kenwood, Pete did you know you're listed on their website as a source for no longer available Kenwood manuals?  Cool.

Trio also made stuff for Allied, manufacturers who were here today, gone tomorrow types, and brands not sold in the U. S. Back in the era of the TS-511, you also found the TS-510 and the TS-900. Been listed on their site for a number of years. Also have provided them with info they no longer had in their archives.

John Holotko

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »

Hi Johns,

The Super Pro I recently received was headed to the garbage heep if I hadn't taken it !

Thanks to JNies help and advice it spews Angel Music every time I'm on the air !!!!

Hi Buddly, I'll bet that Super Pro is happy that it found a good home. I hate to see great old stuff thrown away and it's always great to hear about old stuff being salvaged and put to good use.

By the way I like that lamp...  Smiley

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 08:50:45 PM »

Yes - we are all dumpster divers.

When I was a JN, it was old broken radios and TVs that the neighbors would give me that I would strip for parts, and dregs from the TV shop down on the corner where I shop ratted in exhange for parts.

Now I am not too proud to say that I stop at the "Recycling Shed" at our town dump to see what might have shown up after my weekly dump run.  A lot of pretty good stuff has come my way from there, including a complete Dynaco solid state component stereo system in perfect contidtion (ST-120 power amp, matching preamp and FM tuner units, a pair of AR-4X bookshelf speakers), and a set of HUGE studio monitor 3 way speaker systems. Never any ham stuff though...

The apple never falls far from the tree either - when my kids first started coming with me to Hosstraders, Dave and his freinds who came with him would hit the trash cans  at the end of the day and snag memory chips off of PC motherboards, that they would then use in PCS that they would build up from junkier XTs and PS-2s.  When Dave was a freshman at UCONN, he and a bunch of his friends came onto a dumpster divers mother lode - a huge construction dumpter that was being loaded with a chute from the second floor of the Physics Building that was being renovated.  Seeing an O-scope go sliding down the chute tipped them off that other treasure must lie within.  Lots of great stuff came out of that dumpster, including a NIB Western Electric 211 VT4C, dozens of 6Y6s (cathode moudulators anyone?), and a Gen Rad lab standard variable capacitor in an oak case.  I've got a picture that was taken of them in the pile that I'll dig up and post here on this thread - dumpster divers of the highest order!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »

It always pays to keep your eyes open on trash day. I have picked up a lot of good STUFF over the years.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 10:23:56 AM »

My motto has always been: "If it's free, it's for me"! I've found a few good rigs that were on their way to being part of a landfill, etc.

When I moved into my new place here in Washington Crossing, Pa in March of 1998, I needed many "supports" for radios. In the last house in Yardley,Pa; I was able to obtain the shelving from an old FW Woolworth that was closing it's doors, and I acquired just about everything like sneaker racks, record racks, etc for pennies on the dollar. I was justifyably proud of my acquisitions so I'd have more money to spend on equipment and antennas than the componentry of setting up a new Hamshack. When I moved I had to keep all of the built in racks at the old house since they were built in, and actual part of the basement wall structure.

Going with the concept of less money on shelving,more money on rigs (and "If it's free, it's for me"), I decided to take my time and slowly acquire fixtures. Whenever I'd see an old triple dresser in someone's trash, it'd wind up in the bed of my truck. If they were kitchen cabinets, in the truck they go. Bedroom dressers, office desks, etc etc etc - in the truck they go. I discovered that old discarded doors supported by three homemade sawhorses make dandy tables for putting heavy rigs on.

The end result, all of my rigs sit on fixtures, doors, bedroom furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc that have been "reappropriated" from someones' trash. I once found a solid pine childs' bed at the curb. With a little Yankee Ingenuity and a radial saw, I took it apart and fashioned a hutch and other real usefull shelves for some of my equipment. I still have components of it I can use to breadboard other rigs.

"If it's free, it's for me" really works here. Less money on fancy Hamshack furniture = more money for rigs! I have to admit though, the best combo is free Hamshack furniture and free "dumpsterdived" rigs. It's a marriage made in heaven!

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 12:52:54 PM »

I once found, (and still have) a Heathkit mono block amp with the matching speaker sitting on the sidewalk. They had an auction at the house and nobody wanted anything to do with a mono amplifier let alone one with tubes! No doubt it was an awesome score for me Smiley Smiley

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 02:36:14 PM »

I once found, (and still have) a Heathkit mono block amp with the matching speaker sitting on the sidewalk. They had an auction at the house and nobody wanted anything to do with a mono amplifier let alone one with tubes! No doubt it was an awesome score for me Smiley Smiley
Mike(y),
          Did you find a W5M? I'm curious what the model # is.
                                                                                   Joe N3IBX   

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015