The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:55:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Have I Gotten Myself Into??!!!!  (Read 9990 times)
Gary - WA4IAM
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »

Well, I guess if you get into the AM radio portion of the hobby it's bound to happen. I have just inherited (but have yet to pickup) a Raytheon RA-250 broadcast transmitter. A few years back a radio station in Salisbury, NC offered this transmitter to the Carolinas Chapter of the Antique Wireless Association. The group accepted it with eyes towards putting it in the groups' planned radio museum. Unfortunately the museum plans have been put on hold indefinitely, so the CC-AWA recently offered it to another museum. Unfortunately that museums' staff couldn't make the trip anytime soon to pick it up, and the CC-AWA member who has been storing the beast all this time needs to have it moved out of his garage. So yesterday afternoon the transmitter was offered for free to the first CC-AWA member who wanted it. Having no AM gear on 160 meters I had been keeping an eye out for a BC transmitter in this power class, so I emailed as soon as I could and soon afterward was greatfully acknowledged as the new owner. I haven't seen what condition it's in yet, but have been told that when the club picked it up from the radio station that all the iron was missing from it (figures), but it does have the tubes. I'll be sure to post a couple of photos of the expedition to deepest, darkest Charlotte to pickup the beast and soon as I return from the trip (schedule yet to be determined). All of this is hinging on one thing: the door to my basement is 36" wide, so if there isn't a side of this transmitter that measures 34" or less then I won't be able to take the transmitter. If I do manage to squeeze it into the shack I'll let you guys know what iron I'm going to need to bring this bad boy onto 160 meters, maybe even 75 meters too!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:20:27 AM »

Dave, K2DK has had articles in the last few Electric Radio issues on converting BC xmitters to ham band use.  Also one of the AMFone.net administrators, Jay N3WWL has a RA-250 on 75 and I believe he has done the coils, etc., for 160.

If you're only lacking a couple inches youcan try taking off the door frame, or stash the beast in the garage and run it remotely.  That's what Jay does, he has a CCTV system to keep an eye on the meters from his shack.

Welcome to the AM fraternity, and don't be afraid to drink the Kool-aide.  It's goooooood.... Grin

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:58:52 PM »

I got my Gates BC1-T out of the transmitter building with about 1/8" to spare, and had to pick it up and move it over a diesel generator just outside the door.  (I know, sounds like the old 5-mile trek to school in 2' of snow, uphill both ways, doesn't it?)  The transmitter was moved on a hot June day, 93 degrees, near 100% humidity, to boot.

The problem was that the new solid state replacement was placed just where it blockaded the main door.  I suspect others had already tried to move the beast, and that's why they were so quick to give me the transmitter free of charge on condition that I remove EVERYTHING from the premises, including spare mod iron and all documentation.  We were able to use the rear service entrance.  I removed all significant iron, all tubes, rear and side panels, front door, and then I had to take off the sloping meter panel on the right-hand side of the cabinet, and that lame-brained hump-shaped ventilation grille that mounts on the bottom of the cabinet right under the front door.  Forgot my toolbox the second day, and had to use what was lying around the tx building.  Ended up cutting the wires to the meter panel with a hacksaw because there was nothing to unscrew the wires from the meter terminals.  But managed to get everything disassembled, and reassembled  with damage  repaired once the rig was moved into my shack.

If  that door frame is a  little too narrow, you might think of removing everything that protrudes from the panel, such a meters, knobs, shafts, etc.  Removing and remounting all that stuff might be easier than tearing out the door frame.

At the BC station tearing out the door frame was not an option.  I had almost decided to strip the whole thing down, and bring my skillsaw with ample supply of sheetmetal blades and cut the cabinet into pieces in order to get it out, and just use the rig for parts.  Instead, the repaired/restored/converted BC transmitter is what I mainly use now when I'm on 160.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 03:43:35 PM »

O.K. Gary, here are the dimensions:

WEIGHT: 1200 LBS

WIDTH: 32 5/8 IN. (Looks like plenty of room to spare)

DEPTH: 29 IN.

HEIGHTH: 80 INCHES

I had to modify the doorway for entry.  Good luck Grin
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »

Thanks guys! Actually I've been on AM with my low power Millen exciter for a couple of years now, but I certainly appreciate the welcome. I'm in the process of getting my Millen 500 watt amp on line running a pair of 812Hs with that setup, but that's a different story. But I tell ya John I've never had a transmitter with as much metallic mass as the Raytheon, so this certainly is new territory for me.

Wow Don! You deserve combat pay for extracting that transmitter from the radio station. I have heard you using it on 160 with my SP-600 and your transmitter sounds great!

Thanks for all the RA-250 stats Jay. I'm not sure if you were using your Raytheon the times we've chatted on 40 meters, but the photos of your setup with the remote video monitoring are impressive. I just hope all the iron missing in the one I'm to pickup will knock down that 1200 lbs. substantually!  Grin Is your Raytheon sitting up off the floor on some sort of stand? In the photo it kinda looks that way.
KC8OPP

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:24:44 AM »

Gary,

Congrats on the RA-250, hope you get it on the air.  I have #166 here and use it on 160M.  It is a lot of work but you can make the Raytheon small enough to fit through standard doors.  What you see on the outside is mostly for show.  The hardest part is the meter panel, but with careful labeling it just takes time.  The top and bottom plates can be removed along with the exterior sheet metal, which leaves the inner wiring cabinet, and that fit through all the doors in my house.  Once in place, some assembly is required. YMMV.

73's
Roger
KC8OPP

* Sep13_01.jpg (357.93 KB, 480x640 - viewed 685 times.)
KC8OPP

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:32:02 AM »

Just a couple of views of the Raytheon back together and working.

Roger
KC8OPP

* ray01.jpg (227 KB, 488x806 - viewed 731 times.)

* ray03.jpg (245.09 KB, 829x1106 - viewed 747 times.)
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 07:00:36 AM »

Wow Roger, very nice! I hope the one I'm getting looks that good. Could you send me the full size version of those photos? My alternate email address is good on QRZ.COM. I especially want that interior shot for future reference (just might need it).
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 07:29:47 AM »

Yes, Gary.  It is on a wooden cart with 750 lb. casters.  Makes it easy to roll away from the wall to access by myself Grin
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »

Hi Gary,

Congratulations on the stocking stuffer!

For the full resolution photo files, just click on the .jpg file names below the photos above and the file will download to you.  Then you can save it.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 09:54:32 AM »

Gary,
      Congradulations and you're going to LOVE IT! The RA-250 has to be one of the nicest broadcast transmitters made, if not just in the 250 watt class. Jay, N3WWL has one and his sounds superb. What band(s) are you going to put it on?

If you need any parts,tubes, whatever to get it going before you try the epay place ask me. I'll only be too happy to help you to see you get it on the air.

Broadcast transmitters are a lot like "Lays" potato chips - Betcha can't own just one!

The best of luck with it and the happiest of holidays!
                                                                        Joe Cro N3IBX

PS: Could it be 160M contest fodder for the AWA 2007 AM corral?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »

Thanks for the pointer Tom! Never mind Roger, got the photos downloaded.

Yes Dr. Cro, my goal is to have the beast up and running on 160 meters by next winter season and just in time for the addition of 160 in the AWA AM QSO Party! I'm toying around with the idea of giving it 75 meter capability as well, but haven't made up my mind on that yet. After I clean out a basement spot for it next week the next order of business is to make a platform with heavy duty casters to put it on. I'm shooting for a pickup date of January 14th, but haven't received confirmation from the current transmitter "keeper" yet. I will be sure to drop you line Joe when the time comes to find parts for it. My local ham friends that I've told about the transmitter are almost as excited about it as I am, so I'm hoping that will also translate into moving help. Smiley

What are you guys using to excite these Raytheons? I know Jay is using his Kenwood. Would something like a Johnson Ranger do the trick?
Joe-N2YR
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 10:44:07 AM »

The driver Tube on the N3WWL rig has been modified by W2ZM . There is a rf bifilar wound on ferrite choke in the filament heater circuit. If I rember correctly it is cathode driven. About 10 watts (ask Jay N3WWL) I believe drives it OK FINE. There is no input matching network, just cap coupled. A ranger cannot be throttled back enough. Jay's set up is very nice The transmitter looks like it belongs in the room. Gary W2INR was also involved in the installation. I intend to modify my Gates BC250GY to this method of excitation. I have been using a FT-243 case crystal plugged into the oscillator deck which is simple but has its rock bound disadvantages. Wink
WA1HZK

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »

What a beauty. Yup, if you need anything ask here first. That will be fun to listen to. I'm working on my 160 antenna now.
Keith

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »

Just got confirmation a few days ago. RA-250 moving day is Saturday, January 14th. I'll be sure to post pictures of the event on this web site. I went to Home Depot and got a couple of prefabricated moving trolleys that handle 1000 lbs. apiece, and lined up together they fit perfectly the footprint of the Raytheon with about an inch or so to spare all the way around. I ran some measurements, and with the transmitter on the trolleys there should be plenty of headroom between the top of the Raytheon and the basement cealing. Lookin' good! More good news, the manual and blueprints that came with this beast have been found and will be with the transmitter when I pick it up.  Grin

Since I'm not familiar with using broadcast transmitters I must ask, does this thing run off of single phase or three phase 220 volt power?
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 01:43:20 AM »

Just got confirmation a few days ago. RA-250 moving day is Saturday, January 14th. I'll be sure to post pictures of the event on this web site. I went to Home Depot and got a couple of prefabricated moving trolleys that handle 1000 lbs. apiece, and lined up together they fit perfectly the footprint of the Raytheon with about an inch or so to spare all the way around. I ran some measurements, and with the transmitter on the trolleys there should be plenty of headroom between the top of the Raytheon and the basement cealing. Lookin' good! More good news, the manual and blueprints that came with this beast have been found and will be with the transmitter when I pick it up.  Grin

Since I'm not familiar with using broadcast transmitters I must ask, does this thing run off of single phase or three phase 220 volt power?

Single phase.

I have my Gates BC-1G sitting on two of those 4 wheeled moving carts that are also side by side - total of 8 wheels. The do a FB job. Probably the same or similar carts that you have.

---Dave  W3NP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015